1. You've spent Saturday afternoon at Yanshikou, and now it's time to go back home. You ...
a. Politely wait until you spot an available cab ... and wait and wait and wait.
b. Hop on your bike or on the bus.
c. Pay the try double or triple rate demanded by the nearest sanlun che or "black cab" driver.
d. Spot an empty taxi, make a mad dash toward it, elbowing everybody else out of your way, and grab the door handle by swooping in under a young lady's arm a split-second before she reaches it. Get in, slam the door, and say, 'So long, suckers!' to everyone outside.
2. The first line of the subway will run along _______ and is scheduled to open in ________.
a. In a ring; April 1.
b. Northeast and southwest; 2012.
c. North and south; October 2010.
d. East and west; August 8.
3. As of November 2009, the average waiting time for a taxi is approximately ...
a. Too damn long.
b. Three minutes, 10 seconds.
c. Twelve minutes, 15 seconds.
d. Eight and-a-half minutes.
4. Approximately how many personal vehicles are registered in Chengdu?
b. 5 million
c. 1 million
5. How many taxis will be on Chengdu's streets by the end of 2010?
a. Around 10,000
b. Around 100,000
c. Around 5,000
d. Around 8,000
6. Where will Chengdu's second airport be located?
7. Right now, the Lotus Wholesale Market is known as a massive and chaotic place to score cheap deals on nearly everything under the sun, but after a makeover, what do developers hope it will turn into?
a. The Giant Panda Plaza
b. The Chunxi Lu of the North
c. Chengdu's Shopping Paradise
d. The New Hi-Tech Exhibition Center Zone
8. You need to get from point A to point B but you don't have a bike, and you don't know which bus will get you there. You ...
a. Succumb to fate, and hop in a cab.
b. Use the 10628106 SMS bus-route info service.
c. Read the sign at the stop and determine which bus(es) you'll need.
d. Call up your Chengdutong buddy and ask him or her which route will get you there.
9. What's the official name of what will be Chengdu's "Fifth Ring Road?"
a. 成都高速公路 (Chengdu High-Speed Expressway)
b. 成都第二绕城高速公路 (Chengdu Second Circular High-Speed Expressway)
c. 成都五环路 (Chengdu Fifth Ring Road)
d. 四川高速路 (Sichuan High-Speed Road)
10. What's the name of southwest China's largest shopping center?
a. Dufu's Thatched Treasure Trove
b. The Panda Mall
c. The Jinsha Plaza
d. Tianfu Heavenly Splendor
11. How many spontaneous bus combustions and/or fires were reported in Chengdu in 2009?
d. More than two
12. Blue Metro construction walls suddenly appeared at numerous intersections along the Ring Roads, Kehua Bei Lu, and elsewhere late last year. What will be erected at those spots?
a. Pedestrian overpasses
b. Multipurpose traffic lights
c. Metro Line 2 stops
d. Bicycle-rental stations
13. How many foreigners are expected to live in the to-be "foreigner-ville" Tianfu International Community?
a. 1 million
1. B or D. A will get you nowhere; C will get you ripped off. B shows remarkably good planning and an environmental conscience; D shows your true fighting spirit and ability to adapt.
2. C. As evidenced by the reconstruction and new subway entrances erected along Renmin North and South Roads, Metro Line 1 will run from Honghuayuan (north of the North Railway Station) to the New Exhibition Center and is still on schedule to open in time for the National Holiday.
3. A or D. According to the Chengdu Commercial Daily, the average waiting time increased from 7.8 minutes in July 2009.
4. C. The number of personal vehicles registered in Chengdu hit the 1 million mark late last year, according to the Chengdu Tax Bureau. Car sales in Chengdu have increased by 20 percent annually in recent years due to a government-sponsored incentive package offered to car buyers. The city is behind only Beijing and Shanghai in terms of car-ownership rates.
5. A. The Chengdu Commercial Daily reported in January that around 1,000 taxis will be added to the city's fleet by year's end, which was augmented with 1,000 late last year as well.
6. D. With multiple runways and the capacity to handle 80 million passengers per year, the new airport in Jintang County (55 km east of the city center) will handle international flights and replace Shuangliu as the city's main air-traffic hub.
7. B. Property developers are hoping to make the sprawling market that's the place of business for many wholesalers, street vendors, and pickpockets do an about-face by turning it into yet another giant, generic shopping area.
8. B or C. Bonus points if it involves a transfer.
9. B. The road is under construction and is expected to open in 2012.
10. B. The 300,000 square-meter Panda Mall will boast capacity to hold 20,000 parked bicycles and eventually a five-star hotel as well as other amenities.
11. D. The headlining-making June 4 "explosion" killed and critically wounded dozens and was later found to be not an explosion but an act of sabotage by a suicidal arson; several other bus engines spontaneously combusted but thankfully none of those caused fatalities.
12. A. The numerous footbridges will make Chengdu look more like Shanghai, reroute bicycle traffic, and force pedestrians to accommodate vehicular traffic. Plans have been announced for a bike-rental program, though.
13. C. According to the Chengdu Daily, around 5,000 foreigners will descend upon the city's foreigner-center and call it home.
HOT or NOT? urban knowledge scale
0 right > Hit the streets
1 to 4 right > Country mouse
5 to 10 right > Suburban dweller
11 to 14 right > Certified transit-card carrier
15 right > City centered