A man has been spotted French kissing and fondling the life-sized statues of female shoppers on Chengdu's main shopping street, Chunxi Lu.
The odd behavior prompted onlookers to stop and gather around. Many pulled out cameras to take photos. Some expressed shock and dismay at the public display of affection. However he didn't get busted by the recently introduced Segway police patrol.
The kisser, identified as Mr. Liu, is in his 30s and has been caught on camera several times kissing the statues passionately. He told reporters he would normally spend about 10 minutes for one make-out session and by all indicators does this for his own amusement.
Photos of this strange romance quickly spread around the Chinese Internet and made national news. In an online poll by QQ that sought the views of more than 8,600 respondents on the public display of affection, 14 percent thought that it was "just entertaining," and the other 86 percent said that such behavior would "harm public morals."