xinjiang food

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 14 posts • NewestRSS

• grumpypanda
    April 16, 2009
    2 posts

can anyone point me in the direction of a decent xinjiang restaurant? i'm craving ding ding chao mian, laohu cai and suchlike

• huajiao
    April 21, 2009
    4 posts

uighur food would be nice, i haven't found any either, but plenty of hui... you can get laohucai all over town, but i haven't found authentic uighur style laohucai yet

• Lavender
    April 22, 2009
    1 post

unfortunately, here in Chengdu, you cann't find any Xinjiang restaurant which is typical Xinjiang. if u want good quailty,sorry,but there are some look "not so good" i can show you. actually, Uighur food is not so decent, really, as i ve live in Xinjiang for 20 years.

• tigerkuma
    July 19, 2009
    12 posts

The one near the chuan da south gate is pretty good. However, if you order a small dish, such as chao mian pian (6 kuai) and others come in ordering da pan jie (more than 40 kuai) you may have a VERY long wait! I've walked out numerous times after waiting 30 or 40 minutes. the staff dont seem to mind.....I'm even kinda fond of their surly service!

• invisible
    August 27, 2009
    1534 posts

I agree with Lavender all that Xinjiang food in town doesn't seem real. At best it's average or cheap like the one at the Chuanda South gate. However it seems best to have a few meat skewers and a piece of bread. The noodles are also nice, but you can get them at pretty much any Lanzhou Lamian.

• invisible
    August 24, 2012
    1534 posts

still nothing? I went to that halal restaurant on xiyujie near tianfu square and was disappointed

http://gochengdoo.com/en/listings/item/hal_31933/halal_restaurant

• iraglassismyhero
    August 24, 2012
    99 posts

didn't you ever ask ablajan?

• Dragon Expeditions
    August 24, 2012
    174 posts

Agree none are great, but the one I like best by far is next door but one to the Lazy Pug, 西域风情. Run by a Han lady from Xinjiang.

https://foursquare.com/v/%E8%A5%BF%E5%9F%9F%E9%A3%8E%E6%83%85/4f89780ce4b039b145144bd0

• invisible
    August 28, 2012
    1534 posts

@ira

i think i did and the answer was 0

@dragon

mmh, mabye one of these days.

thanks

• Xxxxx
    August 28, 2012
    15 posts

Ye, Xinjiiang food is better in Shanghai than Chengdu I found. Which is weird given proximity.

Anyway, there are 2 in Lazy Pug restaurant complex. The one 1 from next door to Lazy Pug has Xinjiang beer, which is made with hops and is actually nice.

However, the one on the second floor, referred to above, has a friendly owner (Sky) who speaks English; it is co-ran by ethnic Xinjiangese; and has these lamb pasties which are really good. Downside is, every time I go there I hear rats scurrying around behind the walls.

Who wants to start a Xinjiang restaurant here with me? Cheap, with the pasties, with the Xinjiang beer, and clean. Alright, well i can't be bothered, but if YOU open it, i'll be your best customer!

• Dragon Expeditions
    August 28, 2012
    174 posts

Hmm, I'm not such a huge fan of the one upstairs. Not terrible by any means, and certainly seems popular with the locals but just seems a little over-rated to me. I still prefer the one downstairs, although doubt that there are any less rats. I'd forgotten about the good beer — that's another reason to go downstairs. It's also run by a lady from Xinjiang (although I think she's ethnically Han). Again very friendly, but no English. Would be better still though if they didn't keep running out of Shou Zhua Fan!

Beijing's a great destination for Xinjiang food as well. Weird huh.

• invisible
    August 28, 2012
    1534 posts

stopped reading after you mentioned the rats in the walls. ew

• Dragon Expeditions
    August 28, 2012
    174 posts

@invisible Challenge you to find a Chengdu restaurant that doesn't. Or a restaurant anywhere for that matter...

• invisible
    August 31, 2012
    1534 posts

i kow there are rats all over the place, and restaurant walls seem to be prime estate for these mammals, but if i can i try to avoid it.

i know a place that doesn't have rats as the owner opened all the wall and killed all the beasts, yes it's a lot of work and not cheap, but he did it. well it's a foreign place.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.