Drinking water

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 6 posts • NewestRSS

• Isaac
    December 30, 2009
    16 posts

I have heard that tap water should be boiled before drinking, but otherwise it's fine. Can anybody back that up?

Also, do people use bottled water? What are the pros and cons of different brands?

And when you're done with the plastic bottles, what do you do with them? I hate to throw them in the trash, and I've heard there's a recycling center that will buy them, but I don't know where it is.

• invisible
    December 30, 2009
    1534 posts

Having heard some worrying stories about where we get our water in Chengdu I'd strongly recommend to boil the water (I only use the tap water to wash, and some to cook).
    But even bottled water might be a problem (keywords: nongfu arsenic ).

Don't worry about the plastic bottles. just drop next to the trash bin in front of your house, usually it'll be collected within 5 minutes (and will be recycled) or get the big bottles with up to 20 liters delivered to your house.

Regardless imo it's a crime to allow something as essential as the water industry to be controlled by profit-maximizing trusts. Water will be one of the big issues in the next decades.

"Per-capita water available in China is merely one fourth of world's average. Half the land in China has already degraded severely, and the diminishing glacier will likely affect the water supply in future, which will in turn impair the economic and social achievements the country has made.
    Worse still is the water pollution. Statistics show that more than 70% of Chinese lakes and rivers as well as 90% of groundwater in the urban areas have been polluted to some extent. Nevertheless, as the urbanization and industrialization of China move on, its water resources are faced with even greater challenges. A water crisis is foreseeable."

• LF_Aristotle69
    January 3, 2010
    35 posts

invisible, I agree totally. I think the Govt here is quite happy for most local people to be oblivious to this looming threat.

Actually, in many ways it's been lucky that BeiJing itself is victim to some of China's biggest problems: water shortages, dust storms/desertification, environmental degradation, and pollution, etc.; or else I don't think that the Chinese Govt wouldn't even have done what they have to date to address the problems for Beijing and nationally.

LFA
    PS. Googling - nongfu arsenic now... How'd I miss hearing about this?

• Isaac
    January 5, 2010
    16 posts

What did you hear about the source of Chengdu's tap water? Is it definitely the kind of thing (i.e., microbes) that boiling will fix? What about other kinds of contamination like heavy metals and industrial chemicals?

I also agree; making profit on things as essential to life as water is criminal. It reminds me of when Bolivia privatized its rainwater by selling it to Bechtel about ten years ago (fortunately that didn't last very long).

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200109/lol1.asp
    http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/bolivia/

• invisible
    April 25, 2013
    1534 posts

Nongfu bottled water quality questioned

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2013-04/12/content_16396524.htm

• Noves
    April 25, 2013
    4 posts

Well,I buy bottle water for drinking,and tap water just for washing.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.