Where to buy international brand foods and condiments?

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 6 posts • NewestRSS

• LF_Aristotle69
    January 21, 2010
    35 posts

What, and where, are the best shopping centres and supermarkets in ChengDu for international brands and ingredients?

Which have the biggest range, best value, etc.?

I couldn't find a suitable link on the LISTINGS page.

Thanks!

LFA

• LF_Aristotle69
    January 21, 2010
    35 posts

Oh, sorry... I'd only checked the Food & Drink link, not the shopping link...

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/listings/itemlist/chengdu/imported_foods/

Anyway, do Summer's International Foods, Comforts of home, or Sabrina's have websites?

I'll be living a 25 minute walk from the ErHuan West Carrefour.

Which other shops would be closest? I'll move there in a week.

LFA

• Bing_2010
    January 21, 2010
    6 posts

Metro http://www.metro.com.cn/metro/front.do?go=WEB_HOMEPAGE_PG_Index
    i think chengdu olny have one store now, check the website

• invisible
    January 21, 2010
    1238 posts

I think there isn't a clear no.1 in Chengdu, as every place has some special offers or products the others don't have or sell them cheaper. Just try them all I'd say as probably none has all the stuff or quality you want (yeah I know too bad:))

Comforts of Home mainly offers baked goods, and Sommerfoods in Tongzilin also has a limited offers, which is handy if you live somewhere around there, Sabrina's seems to focus on American brands, but also has a nice range of cooking&baking ingredients, spices. Carrefour in the South (Tongzilin) & Auchuan (the one next to Ikea) both have wide range of imported products (especially French cheese&wine) and some home brands, that can be cheap equivalents. Metro is German, but recently hasnn't make a lot of effort in the imported goods department last time checked, I only bought tea there last time visiting. Last not least there is Isetan in the city center (Chunxi lu), which is maybe the most relaxing as it has fewer costumers (especially less +50 grandmas that push you around or stand in the way:)) - they have a nice range of Japanese products plus other Western goods, there is also a small shop-in-shop Nana Foods, that sells (imported) organic food&wines (they have a 2nd shop in Yulin) and Leonidas - Belgian chocolate has one small stand too. I've heard Itoyokado at Wanda Guangchang now sells organic food, but can't confirm and usually it's packed and has a poor selection of imported goods.

The imported goods stores on the second floor of the fish market (near yanshiko) also have a selection of goods similar to Sabrina's, but I've heard they sell what the suppliers could get rid off to the hotels and restaurants, anyways some offers a really good (especially sauces & spices).
    Finally Sunmay Trade seems to have the best selection of (Italian) cheese, like 20 different kinds, but you have to purchase at least 1kg.

The closest to you would be Metro- since you are so far out West all the other places are all in about the some distance to you like 15-20 minutes by taxi, 30 min bike/scooter.

For listing info & more details just check the Chengdoo magazine listing, it should have all the places listed.
    Questions?
    Bon Appetit

• pepper
    January 21, 2010
    56 posts

I hate shopping at METRO, where the staff seem to go out of their way to inconvenience shoppers, but it does have the biggest selection and quite a few items that can't be found elsewhere, as well as good deals on ovens. The new Renhe Spring on the West 2nd ring also has a grocery store in the basement with international items as well as specialty chocolate and wine shops. Pretty nice, pretty upscale.

The old Auchan is in the northwest and a not very long hike up the second ring from the original poster's location. The Shuangnan Ito Yokado is just south of that West carrefour, no need to come downtown.

• invisible
    January 28, 2010
    1238 posts

I would dispute that Metro has the biggest selection if it comes to imported foods. I've never been inside the Auchuan in the Northwest, but I would say their selection can't be as good as the one in the South, since that is where most of the foreigners live in the South. I'd say check out the Carrefour&Auchuan in the South they should be pretty complementary.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.