Best North American style pizza in Chengdu?

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 17 posts • NewestRSS

• MarkP
    May 15, 2010
    11 posts

Just wondering whats the best pizza for u in chengdu?. Pizzahut n Dominoes are out of the question.
    Fireaway.

• luoluos
    May 21, 2010
    1 post

Hi, you may wanna try Grandma's kitchen, it has branches both at south renmin rd and kehua rd.

• invisible
    May 21, 2010
    1534 posts

@Mark P

Last year's Chengdoo Pizzalympics overal winner were Dave's Oasis, but their chef left. Best taste winner was Peter Pan. 3rd was Zoe's which is closed now. I'd say for me it's Le Sud's Calzone, Peter Pan's Bacon or Four Cheese, but Vera Napoli's Pizza is ok too as well as Shamrocks (Tuesday lunch special cheese pizza 25rmb) & bookworm (if you have a hello card you get 2 for 1!!).

Check issue 24 as a pdf on www.chengdoo-magazine.com
    and stay alert to become a judge of the 2010 pizzalympics (probably next week).

• Mike's Pizza
    November 30, 2010
    4 posts

I'll throw my hat in this ring here. I'm making a NY style hand-tossed pizza that everyone who has tasted has had a lot of good things to say about. Right now we are delivery only, while we work on setting up our first location in the south of Chengdu. You can call us at 8522-MIKE (8522-6453) or find us online at www.mikespizzakitchen.com

• invisible
    December 2, 2010
    1534 posts

Check this year's pizza world cup we hold, a detailed taste report on all the pizza in Chengdu

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/1724/2010_pizza_world_cup_another_one_bites_the_crust

@Mike
    Will give it a try rather soon.

• sinro
    December 2, 2010
    30 posts

highfly café at traffic inn hostel

• invisible
    December 3, 2012
    1534 posts

We included Best Pizza as a category in this year's readers' poll. Have a look

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/survey/display/chengdu2012

• johnboy
    January 9, 2013
    41 posts

I'd vote for Mike's— Mike's is fantastic and good value considering the very fresh ingredients he uses. Plus, they DELIVER!!! How cool is that? Once I tried Mike's pizza (and salads) I've not bothered with pizza anywhere else. It's the best. Try it, you'll be an instant convert!

• aamagpayo
    January 10, 2013
    14 posts

I agree, My wife and I love Mike's... always friendly and the food never disappoints us, we usually order on the weekends.

• Dandoval
    January 10, 2013
    3 posts

I wish there was competition in Chengdu when it comes to North American style pizza, but unfortunately, Mikes is hand's down the best. Don't get me wrong, I like Mikes. They are good, but a little competition drives ingenuity.

• skyblu
    January 10, 2013
    17 posts

Best would definitely be Pizza Mandolino in tongzilin. Most convenient (due to delivery) is mikes and their taste has improved significantly since 2011

• CGlenn80
    January 10, 2013
    14 posts

The best pizza is at Dave's Oasis. Dave might not have as large of a selection of toppings as Mike's, but I have never been disappointed. I get a perfectly cooked pie with lots of pepperoni, onions, and green peppers everytime I go. Plus, you'd have a tough time meeting a more genuine and kind person than Dave in Chengdu.

• mikeysss
    January 11, 2013
    1 post

pizza mandolino is by far the best pizza in town. no one else is even in the same league. they have real, wood fired ovens in the restaurant where pizzas are made to order. you can also buy pizza, and beer, by the yard. only problem is no delivery and a little expensive.

i haven't had dave's, and i thinks mike's is way, way overrated. i made better pizzas myself in my own kitchen back in the states. but mike's does deliver, albeit to a very limited area (read: the rich laowai area near tongzilin...)

bon appetit!

• johnboy
    January 11, 2013
    41 posts

I agree Pizza Mandolino makes a good pizza, but for us ( a family of four) it's just too expensive. Which is too bad, as they are really close and have a very nice restaurant.

• invisible
    January 11, 2013
    1534 posts

i don't understand is why pizza is so expensive in chengdu. anyone?

• absolutjct
    January 12, 2013
    5 posts

Mandolino is good, but the question was specifically 'North American style.' Mandolino traditional italian style.

Mike's pizza is by far the best North American style pizza. That being said, Mandolino, Le Sud (although I haven't been there in almost a year), and Abaluzza also put together a decent pie.

Why is Pizza so expensive? The ingredients! Go to Treat, Auchuan or Carrefour and try to make one yourself, 'it ain't cheap!'

@Mike - keep doing your thing...

@NYC, I miss you the day I leave - don't worry though, I'll come home for good one day!

• pepper
    January 12, 2013
    60 posts

There is pizza for every budget here. You can get pizzas for around 20 yuan at Hao You Duo or slices for a few yuan at many grocery stores.

For a bit more, you can get pizzas at sit down restaurants. However, most will still use a too thick, par-baked crust, plastic tasting cheese, and cook the pizza at a temperature barely hot enough to melt said cheese.

For pizza that uses fresh dough, is cooked at a high enough temperature to actually blister the crust, and uses good cheese you are looking at 70-120 yuan for a 12 inch pizza, on average, in town. Most of the places making pizza to this standard also use other toppings that are imported and make sense (i.e. no corn) and I am quite happy to pay this.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.