HAMBURGERS

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 45 posts • NewestRSS

• MARC X
    July 21, 2010
    13 posts

So, where's the best burgers in Chengdu?

On my part, I have to say I'm partial to Swensen's on Chunxi Lu. They have variety and it just hits the right spot. Although the service is a bit slow and ordering a 15 RMB coke is like : WHAT!?

But I still go there once a week for my 'Burger Fix', what about you guys and girls?

• invisible
    July 21, 2010
    1534 posts

I used to get Peter's TexMex Whopper (or something like it) and sometimes Grandma's Whopper or Shamrock's twin burgers, but somehow even the idea of swallow a burger is repulsive, I guess I had it too often, and I hate it if they drown the whole thing in mayo. I fall back once in a while (maybe twice a year if the twin burger is on lunch promo for RMB25).
    Swensen's burger I tried once, but it left me without memorable impression, and the same goes for Red River's burger. I thought the Hooter's burger was a bit better, but then again I really can't stay in that place and count each second to make a quick leave and don't get me started on their pricing.
    The best burger I ever had in Chengdu was the Aussie burger at the Roo Bar, which closed a long time ago.
    For Chengdu's biggest burger you will have to head to the New Mooney's, it's a real monster, and I bet the majority of people can't finish it by themselves.
    Did I miss out a spot? Oh worst Dico's Shrimp-Chicken burger, a handfull of nasty.

• Walid
    August 19, 2010
    8 posts

the undisputed heavy weight burger is with non doubt Monney's classic burger, but you might find it pricey, however in Chengdu, it' worth it. Mooney's is in Shangrila hotel.

• clayuk
    August 29, 2010
    120 posts

Red River BBQ burger

• Paulie
    August 29, 2010
    31 posts

I thought Red Rivers burgers were quite good but i stopped going there as the staff were really really slow.

Why no Burger Kings in chengdu?

• invisible
    August 30, 2010
    1534 posts

Burger King is coming, but it's not sure when
    http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/1482/sichuan_links_water_pollution_local_hackers_burger_king

• Max JG
    October 19, 2010
    7 posts

Best Burger in Chengdu is at the Bookworm. Reasonably priced, its quick, and their hand-cut fires "chips" are to die for.... Their burgers are sometimes a little over-done, but nontheless, they are good, and they are only 30 RMB!!!!

Bookworm is right off of Renmin Nanlu 4 Duan

• Mimi_Roselle
    October 19, 2010
    6 posts

I love the burgers at Pete's Tex Mex. Really good, and massive portions.

Red River does good ones too, but it's not a nice place to eat really.

• Paulie
    October 29, 2010
    31 posts

@ invisble

Great...can't get the link to work though

• sinro
    December 9, 2010
    30 posts

The burgers at grandma's kitchen are not bad, better than Mooney's (and a LOT cheaper)...

• invisible
    January 5, 2011
    1534 posts

@paulie
    all you gotta do is click on it

• clayuk
    May 3, 2011
    120 posts

Peters was good but now the fries are like KFC fries. Red river is still good, but I had the double cheese burger at Grandma's kitchen opp Shamcock, very good.

• gaz36f
    May 3, 2011
    15 posts

The burgers at the Underground are a big hit. Here are a couple of independent reviews:

"The burgers are the best in town, and everything is top notch" http://www.foodspotting.com/reviews/415843

"I have full confidence in saying that this will be the best burger in Chengdu and potentially all of China and maybe even the continent of Asia" http://westerneater.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/underground-best-burger-in-chengdu/

• hapatofu
    May 3, 2011
    149 posts

@gaz36f: dude, we're sick of reading your self-promotion all over the site.

• tigerkuma
    May 3, 2011
    12 posts

Yeah Gaz36, we KNOW your bar is outstandingly wonderful, and that your main competitor is "dirty and cliquey". Give it a rest man. You are pissing alot of us off....Have a nice day.

• moosey
    May 4, 2011
    1 post

I can only see one comment by Gaz.36 on this particular subject. hapatofu and tigerkuma, get over yourselves who cares it is a free site last time I checked. By the way in my time in Feral Chengdu I found the Underground to be the Best Bar by quite a way.

• Meekael
    May 7, 2011
    40 posts

I did not find the food at underground authentic at all. Not one place in Chengdu has actually managed to mimic Western or European food beside Mcdonald's which is the same everywhere. We need a Burger King and Wendys or Harvey's for fast food at least.

However Dave's Oasis has great pizza and poker every Saturday night, Decent size pizza for the price but the sheer amount of cool foreigners their makes it a fun place to BS and drown the local ignorance in beer pizza and a 420 mentality. Nobody is bothering you to learn or practice English and its has a great owner Dave who really caters to his customers, for me it has the best homely feel around.

But the other western restaurants are okay i have tried them all none of them however leave a good memory, maybe one, I went to a German Bauhaus 1812 i think it was called all you can eat for 90? But the best was the Sushi in Champagne plaza for around 90 yuan fresh and great, by far the best i have tried in my over 300 plus places in Chengdu.

• Withrow
    May 18, 2011
    6 posts

Check out the new restaurant Lazy Pug, one of the best western meals I've had since being in Chengdu. They had a burger on the menu, but I haven't tried it. I had the pulled pork BBQ sandwich and it was delicious.

• Bored
    May 20, 2011
    1 post

The food in the underground dive is really bad. The burger is rubbish.
    Why are there so many fake reviews about this place?

• SofTones
    May 21, 2011
    6 posts

ha haaaaa, I can't help laughing at you people !!! with your 'burgers' and your "Western food".... you're in China ??? leave your eating and enjoyment of cuisine to the Chinese food on offer... I have found the misnomer "western food" usually means crap American-type food, which I steer very clear of and enjoy a very good eating experience every day. I've lived around Chengdu area fo 7 years, and am very satisfied with most of the Chinese food.... leave your old 'habits' behind and enjoy your "new" life !!!!!

• Captain_Flashheart
    July 29, 2011
    4 posts

Just had a bacon burger from tex mex. Loads of bacon, huge, not bad bread. Bit steep, but a bloody good feed!

• Euni_9
    August 14, 2011
    21 posts

Sim's Cozy Hostel has good burgers for good prices. I'm a vegetarian myself so I haven't tried them, but my boyfriend absolutely loves them and highly recommends them. They're also very affordable, the beef burger is 20, and the pork cheeseburger (+bacon) is 22. There's also a burger with egg on it. Sim's has good cheap "Western" food in general if you ever have the craving. I personally love their "Western" breakfasts, they've got homemade museli, yogurt with honey, cereal, sweet beans, sausages, bacon, fried potatoes, french press, and whatever else you can think of. The breakfasts are also quite cheap. Definitely a place worth checking out.

• laowai666
    August 19, 2011
    3 posts

The Lazy Pug gets my full endorsement for having the best burger in China. There is no disputing this and if you attempt to, you're an idiot and I hope something terrible happens to you (jk, but for seriously, don't do it). I am a man-sized woman with a man-sized gut that hangs below her belly. The portions in this restaurant are man-sized that will cause your gut to distend. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad. I think it's awesome. Nothing is sexier than a woman with bbq sauce, blue cheese crumbles, hamburger juice and ketchup dribbling down her chin and hands and arms spilling onto her white shirt (good catch boobies! and gut). Writing this review is making me STARVE, if you know what I mean. I would sooner give up promiscuity than give up the Classic Burger from Lazy Pug. If you go there, maybe you can have a twy and see.

• Hammy
    August 26, 2011
    16 posts

If you guys are kidding about the Burger King I'll have to eat you.
    We really need that here. If that happens Chengdu will almost have everything I need.

• Hammy
    August 26, 2011
    16 posts

Lazy Pug was rubbish.

• Marky
    August 3, 2013
    90 posts

Burger King just opened today in Chunxi Lu.

• invisible
    August 4, 2013
    1534 posts

where exactly on Chunxi? do they have ice-cream?

• Marky
    August 4, 2013
    90 posts

If your by those statues of the western people shopping walking towards Häagen-Dazs, you'll see it on your right. Its just off chunxi lu in a little quad. They had large arrows printed on the floor to help people find it.

Didn't really pay attention to the ice-cream they had. They had actually sold out of burgers when I walked past at 2pm.

According to the news on Weibo, they will have 5 more opened in Chengdu and Chongqing by the end of the year. I think the next location in Chengdu is in the new mall opening by the Galleria.

• amber
    August 4, 2013
    2 posts

Yesterday the first burger king located in chengdu,wow wow wow

• TravellerinChengdu
    August 6, 2013
    6 posts

The SPOT - definitely the best burgers in China. I have to go there once every couple of weeks at least.

• invisible
    August 6, 2013
    1534 posts

@Marky

I guess it's this building
    http://map.soso.com/#pano=10071002121024143642800&heading=92&pitch=-27&zoom=1

Burger King is in the listing
    http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/listings/item/bur_33122/

• invisible
    December 16, 2013
    1534 posts

we decided to add best burger in chengdu as a new category for this year's poll to quantify the answers.

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/survey/display/chengdu2013/

• EvangelineMeow
    February 12, 2014
    8 posts

The spot!And the french fries there!

• long ai gu
    February 12, 2014
    22 posts

I use to work at a Burger king when I was 15 yrs. old. The first day they told me I may be puking because i was assigned to the hamburger making machine. My job was to put the frozen burger patties on a conveyor belt at one end of the machine and flip them onto a bun at the other end of the machine then put the burgers in a steamer box which kept them moist until someone ordered them. This machine would rage a huge fire as the burgers passed through it on the belt and come out the other side cooked, you could hear the fire raging as the burgers passed over it. At the end of the shift I had to empty this huge pail of fat and god knows what else that dripped from the burgers as they passed through this machine, it was a greasy white colour. It was difficult because the pail was big and heavy and I had to march it out back then up a few stairs then lift it over my shoulders and dump it into a bigger pail of crap, the stink was sickening and sometimes I would spill some of it on me. By the end of the day I was covered in grease head to toe and even after showering the stink was still in my skin. I didn't puke the first day I worked but I felt dizzy and I know why they warned me about puking. Sometimes the burgers would sit in the steamer box for hours, nothing was thrown away. But they did let us eat the food when we went for lunch break, I don't think the cost of this garbage was very high for them.

• Mark Webber
    April 24, 2014
    1 post

Best Burger indeed by far goes to the spot in kehua Road. But if you wanna pay 150rmb for a burger and drink, burger at the intercontinental is also nice.

• Joeyjoe
    April 25, 2014
    1 post

Gotta agree with everyone. The Spot def has the best burgers in Chengdu. Not that it's really hard, because nowhere else I tried did it right here.

• WoogiEnglish
    June 12, 2014
    2 posts

The Spot makes good burgers, but I found the quality is varying. The first time, I think somewhere in winter 2013 I found the biggest burger to be very big with a lot of extras. In spring 2014 I had the feeling the size was reduced, it didn't feel that 'big' but the price was the same or higher (can't recall).

Yet if you want a burger then it's a good place to sit. If you come early you might enjoy the happy hour as well which means 2 beers for the price of one and that's always nice.

• Aaron T
    June 15, 2014
    2 posts

Baker and Roast near Niu Wang Miao subway station is my favorite burger in Chengdu. Nice fresh bread, cheese, bacon and a delicious side of fries.

• invisible
    June 26, 2014
    1534 posts

check the last reader's poll for "inspiration"

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/3097/best_of_chengdu_drinks_eats_events_and_more/

• basudin
    July 24, 2014
    27 posts

They make burgers at Baker and Roast? Wish they still had the tasty whole wheat Farmer's Bread, their new version is ruined by raisins.

• ScotInChengdu
    November 3, 2014
    11 posts

Went to Red Beard Burgers for the first time on Saturday evening and felt compelled to share a couple of things.

First of all the food was awesome. I had the Van Dyke and it tasted fantastic. Also had the Fat Elvis fries and couldn't finish them - Elvis for sure will get fat.

Secondly the service I'm afraid was really slow and the air was pretty smoky. The service issue was partly due to an apparent lack of ground beef and perhaps by the sudden appearance of 15 or so customers all at once. The ground beef issue was explained to us, but nonetheless it took about an hour for the first burgers to arrive after ordering... I would have raised it with the owner/manager but sadly one of the ladies in my company chose to take it up directly with the waitress as we were leaving so that did not go very well.

Hopefully the guys who own and run it may read this and comment? Anyone else been recently? I will go back for sure as I really enjoyed the food, but maybe the turn round time will be better on a Monday or Tuesday?

• knesebeck
    November 3, 2014
    12 posts

I've been meaning to go to Redbeard's, it's just a little out of the way. An hour or so, that is.

Sounds pretty great, however... Burger King outlets have been materializing in the strangest of places too, which ain't too shabby for a bargain.

In the meantime, one can get all ingredients needed at the local Auchan or Carrefour, usually.

Mix in bowl:
    Ground beef
    salt/pepper
    egg (for Canadians, ha ha)
    couple splashes white vinegar 白醋
    red chili flakes
    minced garlic (optional)
    worcestershire (if you got it)
    basil or oregano (if you got it)

fry/bbq 3-5 minutes each side.

Get yer french loaf o' bread at the aforementioned supermarkets, or at Rosa's bakeries. Fresh veggies at the street markets for garnish (tomato, onion, lettuce -- wash well).

Ikea usually has a good deal on yellow mustard/ketchup.

Metro for good cheese and bacon.
    dill pickles?

you're on your own, there.

• JackChengdu
    January 7, 2015
    2 posts

red beard is fantastic. worth the price. i'm very picky about western food (there is no good western food here...) but red beard makes me feel like i'm in a good foodie-approved U.S. burger place. just good food and nice owners.

• mrnige
    January 8, 2015
    15 posts

I MAKE THEM, I SELL THEM

1/4 POUNDERS- LAMB OR BEEF BURGERS, WITH BREAD CAKE

All products sold by weight are vac packed and sold by packed weight.

Prices listed are; kuai per 100g

Best back bacon 9.5

Streaky bacon 8

Pork sausage, thick or thin 8.5

Cooked spare ribs in curry sauce (can boil in the bag) 7.5

Sliced cooked belly pork 6.5

Sliced roast pork; thin for sandwiches or thick for dinner 7.5

Cooked Pork loin steak, (off the bone) 7.5

Sliced roast leg of lamb (thick for dinner) 19.5

Sliced roast beef; thin for sandwiches or thick for dinner 17.5

Sliced boiled/roast ham 15

Anchor white cheddar 12.5

1/4lb Beef Burger 2xpack with bread cakes 32

1/4lb Lamb Burger 2xpack with bread cakes 32

Ready Meals all 50 kuai;

Shepherd's pie

Cottage pie

Lasagne

Spaghetti Bolognaise

Chilli Con Carne

Chicken Carbonara

Rogan Josh

Meat & Potato pie 35

Mince & Onion pie 30

Chicken & Mushroom pie 25

Sausage & tomato pie (snack size) 2xpack 19

Yorkshire Puddings 4xpack 12

Cooked Tomato (next best thing to Italian tinned) 8

Mushy Peas (fish shop style)

Ploughman's Pickle 12

Also do 'Fish n Chip' nights on request. Minimum 10 people.

• mrnige
    January 8, 2015
    15 posts

WeChat ID MrNige

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.