What's your fav bar here?

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 45 posts • NewestRSS

• ChuckinChina
    October 21, 2010
    27 posts

Everyone loves to party, what's your fav bar or club here and why?

• MARC X
    October 21, 2010
    13 posts

88 for the crazy atmosphere!
    Wan Tan #1 for the girls!
    Muse to feel special and rich!
    Cafe Paname to have lots of friends!
    And Little Bar for some ROCK!

• Wisedragon
    October 21, 2010
    24 posts

Where can I get Mars Bars in Sichuan please? They were my favourite.

• MarkP
    October 21, 2010
    11 posts

My favorite will always be The Underground. Its a cosy place, Gary the boss is a great guy to talk to and the people there are friendly. Has a good mix of locals and foreigners. Not to forget they just opened their restaurant that the best fish and chips for rmb 40!! Also, the burger is amazing (ciabatta bun!). My personal favorite is the Sichuan burger; just wish it was a bit more spicy like the spicy hotpot! LOL

They hired a Sous Chef from a prominent five star hotel! Cant go wrong with them!

• ChuckinChina
    October 22, 2010
    27 posts

Hey MarkP, where is the Underground located?

• clayuk
    October 22, 2010
    120 posts

Mark do you work for the Underground bar? The place is a dump expensive beer and a crap atmosphere. I'm tired of all the fake reviews by certain bar managers in Chengdu.

• MarkP
    October 22, 2010
    11 posts

Hi Clayuk,

I'm not a the manager, I am one of their regulars. Have u seen the American sitcom called Cheers? I get that feeling when I go there. Everyone knows my name and the people there are great.

Its an expensive dump?

Yes its a bit expensive if you compare it to buying beer from the supermarket.

I get bottled local beer for RMB15 (Harbin beer)
    Lao beer for RMB20; they also have British beers/lager if I remember correct.

In addition, they have daily lunch specials. If I remember correct they have free beer with set lunch or something like that.

Crap atmosphere?

I partially agree with you.
    Yes, they lack in some parts (women!! LOL) but what they lack in, they make it up by being very cordial.

Its not one of those places that is choke full of people. Neither is it a sleazy place. Its not a place to get wasted. Its one of those place you sit, have a drink and talk. Its a great place to meet/talk to mature people.

Gary the owner is a well traveled and well read man. He's been around the world and has a Phd in Sociology. Personally, I think he's a good man. Sitting and talking to him on week days has taught me a thing or two about life and my direction of my career. He treats he staff very well. Which boss allows his workers to drink beer and work at the same time? Not many.

The place is not perfect.

I have very high standards. If you asked me on what they can improve on I can tell you right now.

Service wise:
    Food:
    The last week I was there we ordered two portions of fish & chips and one portion came out first. It was a little unsettling that I had to wait 10 more extra minutes for the second portion to come out. But then again which pub/restaurant will wait 30 minutes for to come before closing their kitchen. They were closing their kitchen at 9 pm but I arrived at 9.30 pm. I called before hand to ask him if he could keep the kitchen open for me, and he did.

Fish & Chips
    I love fish and chips. The only thing I have to complain about it is, the thin batter or the lack of it. I like my fish in a thick batter.

Clayuk, if you think its a crap place don't bother going. If its just hearsay, go there yourself and check it out. Yes, it might not fit some, but for me its the best pub in Chengdu and I love that place.

• MarkP
    October 22, 2010
    11 posts

Hey ChuckinChina,

Its in Jin Yan Qiao (Nine Eye bridge). Its sandwiched between Babi 2 and the Club 1855. From Babi 2 on the same row walk down the strip of clubs. Before you can reach any of the clubs from Babi 2 you will see a Cigar shop. Its right behind the Cigar shop in the little alley.

map
    http://undergroundchengdu.com/custom/map2.jpg

• MarkP
    October 22, 2010
    11 posts

To go and dance, I would to go Jellyfish which is beside Cafe Panam. Panam's great to see old friends but I find it a bit too smokey for me. Not much ventilation imho. As for the big Chinese clubs I like Seven which is in Jiu yan qiao.

• MarkP
    October 22, 2010
    11 posts

I'm going to be there tonight. I'll be there with a few friends having a drink or two.

Mark

• emilyusa
    October 24, 2010
    8 posts

Jellyfish is amazing for girls on Saturdays with free drinks all night, as far as other nights, Pannam which is RIGHT next to jellyfish and Grandma's Kitchen near south gate of Sichuan University is so much fun on the weekends if you like to dance. There is always Muse also which is on club street out East gate of the university which is an AMAZING place to go hang and kick it as well as dance if your into that.

• clayuk
    October 25, 2010
    120 posts

Mark

Your reply was very long. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

I won't go to this bar ever again and the place is a dump FACT!!!!

Phd in Sociology so funny !!! and now he runs a bar in Chengdu.

Everyone knows your name when your walk in because nobody else goes there!

Trust me this place is not a pub and has nothing English about it. They have a picture of a London bus on the wall which you can buy in IKEA.

Please Please Please can who ever keeps writing the fake reviews about this bar please STOP!!!!!

• MarkP
    October 25, 2010
    11 posts

No I do not have a lot of time on my hands.

I just feel that I will vouch for a place that I have come to be fond of.

Its true its not packed like a can of sardines; thats the reason I go there. I can carry a decent conversation with mature people. The music's not too loud and they play the oldies that I like, Beatles, Marley, The Clash and so on.

I was a bit surprised why would a man quit lecturing and leave his tenure. At first I thought he lost his mind. He could have made ten times more than running the bar. But I found out he was tired of being a professor.

If you asked me I still think he's mad for leaving such a good job at a premier university; I know I wouldn't. But then again Chengdu has its draw. There's a local saying here, once you come you never want to leave, and trust me I am feeling everyday.

Its true that "no one" goes there; just regular pub goes who want a drink and have a chat. Its true they could improve. They could have a dance floor, but that's another story.

"Nothing English"? Probably you're right, I told them boss to do something about it; from what I know its not easy to get "English" stuff here in China. Know any good place to pick up "English" memorabilia? I'm sure they would appreciate it if you could tell where they can pick up such items.

Any ideas how to improve the place? If you do please do share? I will relay your ideas/suggestions to the boss.

"PREFERENCE, n. A sentiment, or frame of mind, induced by the erroneous belief that one thing is better than another. An ancient philosopher, expounding his conviction that life is no better than death, was asked by a disciple why, then, he did not die.

"Because," he replied, "death is no better than life." It is longer."

Ambrose Bierce quotes (American Writer, Journalist and Editor, 1842-1914)

• kickan
    October 26, 2010
    1 post

Wow its a war zone in here.! I would like to say a thing or two. I am a danish girl and as well as Mark P doesn't work at The Underground Bar in Chengdu so doesn't I! But I too love the bar and its my favourite in Chengdu, I used to hang out there all the time, now sadly, coz I am back in Europe, I can't but I would just love it if we had a Underground bar here. I miss all the amazing people and staff at the Underground, I wish I could be there right now, drink a BeerLao and chat with my dear friends, that would make me one happy dane :)

• woody
    October 26, 2010
    4 posts

My favourite bar in Chengdu is the Underground too. Whenever I've gone there, I've had a good time. It's a great place to catch up with friends and chat over a few beers. and the food they've started serving is great too. and now that they're doing different offers on food and drinks everyday you'll probably be seeing me there a lot more!
    (Clayuk, however much I wish I was, I'm not a bar manager for any bar in Chengdu or anywhere else. Just a beer drinker who know what he likes. If you dislike the underground so strongly, please tell me, what is your favourite bar? that is after all the point of this topic. I'd be interested in knowing if any bar in chengdu can live up to your standards...)

Paname is not bad either, completely different type of crowd to the underground though. It's usually better to order your drink and then sit outside, unless you came for the dj's and music. although what with winter coming, i suppose everyone will want to be inside now.

Can't say i'm that keen on jellyfish, i've been there once or twice but the lager i ordered was poured from the same tap as the dark ale so had a strange taste. that said, i've heard good things about it from friends.

• MarkP
    October 26, 2010
    11 posts

Kickan: Hope you're doing good. I'm leaving China in January to be back with my gf.

• ChuckinChina
    October 27, 2010
    27 posts

Has anyone been to Mooneys? I'm thinking about what to do for Halloween. I saw that Hemp House is having something. What do you think? What are you planning?

• clayuk
    October 28, 2010
    120 posts

Okay lets all agree we all have different tastes.

• gaz36f
    October 28, 2010
    15 posts

I won't get embroiled in this discussion. I just wanted to say that the Underground is having a Halloween night (Saturday 30th) and there are a lot of special promotions for people in costume, including free beer and up to 40% discount on cocktails and whisky. The extra-special offers are before 9pm but there will be a lot of discounts and partying throughout the night.

• Paulie
    October 29, 2010
    31 posts

It does seem strange that so many people log on for the sole purpose of bigging up the underground bar. I haven't been there but i'm put off going there because nobody i know has never heard of the place yet it seems to be the most commented on bar on this website. There is only so many times somebody can type "a great mix of people" before it starts to grate.

I mean, if you were back in Europe or Canada, why would you be checking chengdu forums anyway? And only checking them to write about a bar? Did you do anything else when you were here? Are there not other things you miss? Either you have too much time on your hands, are very sad or have a vested interest in the bar.

I used to be a mod on a forum where we named and shamed users with multiple log ins. Not sure if this forum works the same way, but when you log in it should automatically log your ip address making it easy, except if you are using free wi fi at a pub/restaurant, to find out who is hiding behind different usernames.

Moving on...I have lots of favorite bars in chengdu but have minor gripes about them all.

hemp house - excellent venue, nice people, ropey sound, feels too large sometimes.

nanuna - Excellent venue, questionable clientele.

xiong mao - Good venue, good sound, lack of people, bad drinks.

leg & whistle - good for the football, not for the women.

jellyfish - excellent mixed drinks, split crowd with panam so never feels really busy.

• clayuk
    October 29, 2010
    120 posts

I agree Hemp House is great and Little Bar.

• MarkP
    October 31, 2010
    11 posts

Vested interest?
    Yes I do have vested interest; I or shall i say we have become friends and we do care about the place we have come to love.

• Wisedragon
    November 4, 2010
    24 posts

I had various business meetings in Chengdu and simply googled; Bars in Chengdu. I noted that several bars/pubs have foreign owners rather than being Chinglish. We went to one bar first which features in many comments online but it was grubby and shabby. We left it in a hurry. I have since heard it has now been sold to some Chinese people.

We drove to the Underground and were bemused to find it was not in a cellar.My first impression was it looked clean and cared for. That is far more important than prices or how many beautiful people frequent it.

Choosing a drink was simple. Most bars are supplied by the same company in Chengdu so have much the same choice.Cold is important so 5 points out of 5. A genuine Budvar rather that the cat's pee from US of A via Chongqing. Several if I remember correctly.

I did wander around and there were about 25 in downstairs and all Chinese bar one and about 50:50 guys and girls. Not bad for a Tuesday and there were more on the mezzanine.

I went into a newish room and the kitchen door was open. It impressed with it's s/s and gadgets and gizmos. Someone has invested properly in the future. No-one was sitting in that room but it was lit a trifle brightly. I had already eaten... at Bookworm.

It is actually hard to decorate a foreign style bar/pub here in Sichuan. It takes time to collect all those nick-knacks and bits'nbobs which make a pub feel older. How to find 'English' bar chairs and such-like? How long has Underground been open? 9 months? It will morph into a different place as more months pass. Pictures? The owner says he has nearly 40 posters and prints coming from the UK. That will change the walls somewhat. More investment ( which is what that dismal other bar needs pretty damn quick if it is to survive). Stools were uncomfortable with no cushions and the red sofas incongruous but that's easily remedied; China's cheap for covers etc.

Music was right for chit-chattering away and got changed rather than looped forever and a day.

So the owner/partner has a PhD. Blimey... that's a no no? Been a university professor or what? Mean he can't talk about footie or cricket? Knows nothing of the real world like the Yanquis do? Can't hold his beer or even his glass? Perhaps if I were his age and with his temperament I should sail to far-off Cathay and review my life as Grasshopper did in days of yore. Doctor of Philosophy I believe and surely those characters think about such things. Perhaps an Ashram or Tibetan mountain peak is more suitable that a raucus bar? Bamen, taxi drivers and barbers all fall into the same bracket.Wistful romantics. Philosophers. Cogs in wheels. We all are.

I made friends there ! I spent a couple of banterous hours with Garry and a Scot. We drank Lao beers and Harbins. The staff smiled and attended. A couple of shots of scotch too. We discussed life of course and complained our bums were sore from unpadded stools. Promises were made; mostly about the cushions but also about pictures and lighting. And no snide remarks nor complaints about the harshness of living in a wilderness. 11pm and Irish broth free on Tuesdays. I suggested adding potatoes and barley and calling it stew. But thanks for the freebie.

My regards about Underground? I genuinely liked my hours there and our 'discussions'. I was aware it is a trifle goldfish-bowl with so much uncovered glass. Did I mention the cushions which were not there? I am a bit spoiled as the prices were not important. It is known that price come far down the list desires for a good watering hole. Landlord is usually first: "should I give that man my money?". Meeting with new or old friends comes high as does cleanliness. A choice of good beers amongst the widdle helps. Noise can be most important; especially lack of it. Decor has been discussed. Girls didn't figure, what with Mrs Lucky upstairs awaiting.

Did I make friends? Yes. I met Mark while he was on his days off from his job in the wilds. Big bloke if one needs a description. Girls might add 'fit'. He'd be pleased with that. He can hold his drinks too. I'd be happy to do it again with Garry and his clan. I shall and soon.

I'll bet 100 quai he's still there when some are gone and the place will looks cosier and cluttered with those bit'nbobs. I shall take an inflatable cushion just in case he gets dementia.

• Wisedragon
    November 4, 2010
    24 posts

I've been to lots of Chinese clubs and bars as friends own some 40 of them. I've spent a lot of time in Shamrock and Bookworm. Shamrock needs little introduction. It's popularity speaks for itsef. I've eaten a dozen times there and usually something different from last time. No complaints at all and their pizza was a mile better that Pizza Hut. Landlord knows how to host which matters. Draught beers !! Cold !!

It took me a number of visits to fathom the secret of Bookworm's success. Having an Irishman owner is a big plus. Who else knows about booze and ambiance better than someone from the Isle. But what is it? A sort of sit-down department store? Coffee lounge/beer hall/bookshop cum library and meeting place. Full of nerdy ex-pats or intellectuals? Normal passersby and backpackers with wide eyes. Yes; Chinese ladies too. I did chooses that fine word, ladies. Wallowers in comfort on MSN and Skype? But that's it ! It just happens with no pushing or prodding.People CHOOSE to go there and that is such a compliment. No girls splashing 12 bottles of watery lager into strangers' glasses or flashing lights to add 'atmosphere'. People who greet others with a smile and staff who recognise regulars. A place to network and while away dull days. Coffee is great and the menu imaginative and quickly served with politeness and pepper pots. Unless one is wanting a bawdy disco and flirty Chinese maids there cannot be anything to dismiss with disdain. I've tried it all. I've bought several books and beers. A gallon of strong coffee and a sinkful of plates of food. I've marvelled at the choice of music and wondered at the eclectic collection. Yes. No complaints from me and lots of acclaim. Peter; be proud and don't let the bugs bite.

• Aleeson
    November 28, 2010
    5 posts

Thanks for the great 60's night to those of the Underground, what a lovely night!

• invisible
    December 2, 2010
    1534 posts

hi everyone, so it's time to vote for your fav bar

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/1952/2010_readers_poll_its_here_vote_and_win

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/survey/display/chengdu2010/

• mjwiseman
    December 6, 2010
    1 post

Underground is a good place. Gary, the owner, is a top bloke and so is 'Wisedragon' who i had the pleasure of meeting one Tuesday night. All in all i had a great time, made a couple of friends and can't remember leaving the place. What more do you want?

• Paulie
    December 8, 2010
    31 posts

mjwiseman, did he introduce himself as wisedragon? lol.

wisedragon, where is your bar?

I think its safe to say the underground will win the best bar of the year.

• invisible
    December 9, 2010
    1534 posts

@Paulie
    "I think its safe to say the underground will win the best bar of the year."

Wanna bet?

• gaz36f
    December 9, 2010
    15 posts

It certainly will not. One good reason is that GoChengdoo have not even added the Underground in the list of options to vote for.

• invisible
    December 9, 2010
    1534 posts

You can type in the name in the empty field, like some people do for non-listed places. We have to make a realistic pre-selection otherwise it's getting too big.

• gaz36f
    December 9, 2010
    15 posts

Well as far as I can see invisible, the only 'Western' bar not listed in the poll is the Underground.

• invisible
    December 9, 2010
    1534 posts

Not only that, there are more than 100,000s of bars, clubs, restaurants, events not listed! But if it's too much of an effort to type in the name of your fav. place I can't help.

• Paulie
    December 10, 2010
    31 posts

Really? I was sure i saw it on the list?

• Paulie
    December 10, 2010
    31 posts

Is voting only through this website?

• clayuk
    December 14, 2010
    120 posts

If underground wins best bar I will eat my own poop

• jane_v
    December 15, 2010
    43 posts

Just a reminder to keep it nice or this thread will be locked.

• jochengdu
    December 16, 2010
    2 posts

Yeah people just keep cool ok? We're just talking about our fav bar XD
    I like Paname and Jellyfish. But upstairs. Less noisy. I'm fed up with chinese clubs now. I like little bar as well for their shows. And Hemphouse is really nice but too noisy. Ok it's supposed to be a bar but still... I don't know lot of other coz I already have my habits XD
    Enjoy nightlife guys

oh and please don't argue with " I like that place for the girls" you look really stupid

• Walid
    December 16, 2010
    8 posts

@Wisedragon you can find Mars bars in Sabrina's. It's a small bag of small bars for 82 RMB (quite expensive)

• Timothy
    December 25, 2010
    20 posts

Hi all, does anyone know where Wan Tan #1 bar is located?

• Hammy
    December 28, 2010
    16 posts

I really like Muse club and 88 for going Chinese kinda-crazy on a week night or weekend. For foreigner bars I really like Jellyfish just cos the blond girl DJ there is fantastic on a Friday and so many hot Chinese girls get really drunk and dance sexy with you. The drinks are also good and strong in Jellyfish which is better then the Shamrock which pours really bad drinks. Lan Town is also a nice spot I recently discovered, a dutch guy was djing there some nice techno tunes and the owner is friendly.

• nkm111
    May 22, 2014
    7 posts

HEMP HOUSE for sure for me. The day we were there they had Marley in my Heart and what a fab evening we had. Ramone and his band played all the Marley favourites and then some. They even shared some of their herbals with me. Made my trip to Chengdu. Shamrock on the other hand, was a dump. And for heaven's sake avoid the Bar Street in Chengdu, it really sucks !!

• sovabeniyako
    May 23, 2014
    3 posts

dragonfly will be a good one for you, most of people there are not Chinese or at least speak fluent English.

• banana2
    June 4, 2014
    1 post

What are the well-frequented CLUBS this year? Looking for places where people actually dance, not bars.

Thanks!

• invisible
    June 26, 2014
    1534 posts

check last reader's poll for results
    http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/3097/best_of_chengdu_drinks_eats_events_and_more/

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.