I am thinking about moving to Chengdu next year and read some of the old entries on this forum. It sounds like south Chengdu is a good place to live to avoid downtown. I have a few questions:
1. What are the best parts of south Chengdu (best for Sichuan or ethnic culture/food)?
2. Do any districts have relatively cleaner air?
3. Which accommodations do you think are most commonly over-looked by new foreigners in Chengdu?
I am currently in Shanghai, but prefer the parts that do not have too many western distractions. I would also like to be within a reasonable transit route to 四川大学.
Thanks in advance!
1. many of the city's western restaurants, bars, and cafes are located in this region. there are also lots of both upscale and lowbrow sichuanese restaurants. older neighborhoods are pocketed in among the new, fancy stuff, so you can still get your four-for-a-kuai baozi and stuff.
2. well the air in chengdu seems to be getting cleaner with each passing year, but to get "cleaner" air, you're still going to have to go quite a ways outside the city.
3. places NOT in the south.
sichuan uni is right in the heart of this area, although the international student classes are near the east gate of the uni, so you might consider looking over there (many of the complexes are pretty pricey though, as it's along the river).
Good info. It sounds like I should look around the outskirts of the city. All I need is a simple bus or metro ride to the university.
Um, "a simple bus ride" in Chengdu can be anything but, due to the horrendous traffic. There are no parts of Chengdu that are "overly western" (even the embassy area in the south is hardly a western ghetto). It's true that the air is slightly cleaner in the outskirts, places like Huayang or Xindu, but these places can seem kinda desolate and not overly lively. My advice: stay in a hotel or with a friend for a few days, get to know the city (it's pretty easy to navigate) and find the place that feels perfect for you. Good luck and welcome to the 'Du!
P.S. Don't judge a home by its' exterior. My building looks like a bomb landed on it, but inside many of the apartments are beautiul....