CRICKET!

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 20 posts • NewestRSS

• Sav242
    January 16, 2011
    4 posts

I know this is probably wishful thinking, but does anyone know if there are any games of cricket to be had in Chengdu? I'm an Aussie living and working at the Shangri-La Hotel and would love to have a hit sometime... Also if anyone knows where I can find some squash courts and somewhere to buy some racquets that would be greatly appreciated... Cheers!
    Pat

• Marky
    January 17, 2011
    90 posts

My first guess would be the Decathlon sports store opposite Ikea in the south. I'm pretty sure I have seen squash rackets and even cricket bats there.

Im not sure on where your nearest court will be though! I think there are some at Jinniu Sports Center, i'll look again next time I go Bowling, although thats miles from you- there should be one closer to you and i'm sure someone else living in the south will respond and tell you where :)

• Dragon Expeditions
    January 17, 2011
    174 posts

There are squash courts at Ito Yokado's Shuangnan store apparently (no idea why). I don't play and have never been myself, but apparently this is 'the place to go' for local squash players. (Not that squash seems to be all that popular here).

Cricket? No idea. Maybe try asking around in the Leg and Whistle and Shamrock?

• MattyB
    January 18, 2011
    41 posts

Thanks for not giving him any more encouragement Matt... ; ) The longer he stays away from the game, the stronger a man he becomes...

• Sav242
    January 18, 2011
    4 posts

Hey thanks Marky and Dragon, I'll check that out... Oh, and Dragon, unfortunately Matt can't make it to the Medieval Role Play meeting you guys have planned on wednesday night as he'll be undergoing reconstructive surgery that morning due to the Gunn and Moore 3lb cricket bat that will soon be lodged in what he tells me is his "special place"...

• MattyB
    January 18, 2011
    41 posts

: D Ahahahah! Game ON my friend!! I'm sorry, I know I promised not to hijack your little Mardi Gras lace camomile thread, but I couldn't help myself. Hey Matt, bring your biggest cam on Wed, we'll show him what a real game is played like... ; )

• Dragon Expeditions
    January 18, 2011
    174 posts

Wow, it's almost like you two guys know each other or something...

• Sav242
    January 18, 2011
    4 posts

Sorry guys, look, i have no problems with Yodelling or Goatherding, and you have always looked fab in leiderhousen MattyB... so lets stop being nasty eh?

• mazhar
    April 14, 2011
    1 post

hey sav242.....
    happy to see someone who wants to play cricket in chengdu.
    we are the students of huaxi campus.
    most of us are from india and srilanka.
    we use to play cricket in wang jiang campus of sichuan university.
    if you would like to play with us you can join...

• Silhouette
    April 19, 2011
    1 post

I found some squash courts at the Sichuan International Tennis Center but it's pretty pricey... RMB100/hour. If you find some cheaper courts, I'd love to knock the ball around a bit.

You should get Shangri La to build a squash court in the hotel. :)

• lisalefteye
    June 27, 2011
    8 posts

Hi,

I think my husband would love to join you guys one weekend if you still play cricket, We currently live in Ziyang but are moving to Longquanyi close by to chengdu in a couple of weeks time.

We are from Yorkshire,UK and my husband has played cricket for quite a few years and brought a cricket set over to china with him hoping to find enough people who are willing to play a game, please let me know if you're interested

Thanks

• clint24
    June 27, 2011
    1 post

I'm up for some cricket and have a friend with equipment, including wickets....lets organise a game. when are people free?

• panman
    June 28, 2011
    7 posts

Must admit that I was never really good at cricket butbeing from de Caribbean, I know how to swing a bat a la "calypso cricket" style of the West Indies. I am aware of 4 Caribbean students here in Chengdu, who may be interested in playing too. Back in the days, I stayed far away from Cricket because I was always afraid of being struck by the ball but I guess that shouldn't be a big problem here as surely there's no bowler in Chengdu faster than Micheal Holding:-))).

As we say back home.. "yeah, lets try a ting"

• panman
    June 28, 2011
    7 posts

Just remembered that I used to see some Asian guys playing cricket Wednesday afternoons at the playing field located at the East Gate Sichuan University. I always wanted to join them but this coincided with my football training programme. Dont see them anymore but I am pretty sure that they are still arround somewhere else spinning each other's balls

• panman
    June 28, 2011
    7 posts

Just remembered that I used to see some Asian guys playing cricket Wednesday afternoons at the playing field located at the East Gate Sichuan University. I always wanted to join them but this coincided with my football training programme. Dont see them anymore but I am pretty sure that they are still arround somewhere else spinning each other's balls

• panman
    June 28, 2011
    7 posts

Oooops... spinning each others' balls no. I meant to say spin bowling at each other. Sorry for the mis-statement

• Sicnarf
    April 6, 2012
    1 post

Now the weather is warming up, are there any cricket games to be played? I know there were some cricket enthusiasts here in the past, but I'm not sure if they're still around. I'd love to have a hit!

• Chisamba
    June 15, 2012
    4 posts

The weathers not bad, a little hot perhaps. Playing cricket would be lovely, plus I will be on summer break soon, so will probably have some time on my hands. Who would know anything about any matches bein played this summer?

• Faisal
    June 25, 2018
    1 post

I am probably feeding to an old messages. But I am interested in joining cricket team if anyone is already playing. Else we can look forward to forming a team. I've played Div 1cricket in the Shanghai for 5 years and played in league cricket in the US and India. I'd certainly like to form a team and play against shanghai and other cities. Respond back with your email id please so we can get connected. My email address is Faisalwahid80@outlook.com

• Nomi33
    March 8, 2019
    1 post

Hello Faisal Are you still in Chengdu, I would also like to form a team of cricket and play,

I just recently arrived in chengdu.

Please contact my email id is alinouman330@yahoo.com

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.