Best sushi / japanese restaurant

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 14 posts • NewestRSS

• sinro
    January 31, 2011
    30 posts

What's the best sushi place or Japanese restaurant in Chengdu?

So far I've found most places to serve sloppy cuts on both their sushis and sashimis, and just overal lack of flavor and freshness.

In my opinion the ones in Topcity (chunxi lu) and youyou in Soho on Kehua Bei Lu are not great

• invisible
    January 31, 2011
    1534 posts

Nobody seemed to know/care a while ago
    http://gochengdoo.com/en/forums/thread/1941/poll_best_sushi_restaurant_in_chengdu

I love Japanese food but I'm also still waiting for a good spot in Chengdu.

• Aleeson
    January 31, 2011
    5 posts

I've tried a bunch, Hokkaido in the Champagne Plaza was by far the worst for price and service, however I ordered from the menu, nothing was said about the all-you-can-eat. 1st floor Champagne plaza (the name escapes me, thankfully) also had really bad sushi, where I felt the need to text a friend that I had eaten there in case I got hit with food poisoning. The server was pretty helpful, offering to heat up the rock-hard, frozen piece of salmon sushi... Tried the fourth floor of the Galleria, U-Roll today. Despite the name, they roll for you and it was pretty 马马虎虎, just OK. Invisible mentioned the Isetan basement grocery store sushi... The best in town by far for size and value and freshness, and you don't have to worry about service, bonus.

• invisible
    January 31, 2011
    1534 posts

Yes Isetan seems to be a starting point, as the 7th floor has 3 Japanese restaurants

You'll probably like Tonkatsu Waka for lunch (special price)
    http://gochengdoo.com/en/listings/item/ton_31838/
    but they only focus on batter-fried meat.

And if by eyesight non of them appeal to be good head, have a look at the Grand Hyatt Buffet a floor(and half?) up.

• pepper
    February 1, 2011
    60 posts

Tonkatsu Wako is a nice clean restaurant with excellent service but I didn't really think the food measured up (too-wet cabbage, little flavour in the meat). ymmv.

Sushi and Japanese food in Chengdu restaurants are generally disgusting. I always end up losing face when inviting friends to try Japanese restaurants.

Tried the new 'kaiseki' restaurant in tongzilin near the Great World carrefour, un-fresh ingredients and way too fishy-smelling fish. Han Sato in Yanlord landmark, tough fish and bits of skin still sticking too it. Grit on the clams, and the server said 'oh, it's always like that' when I complained.

Anyways, you can try hara abu in Lan Kwai Fong. It's billed as an izakaya but has a pretty big menu that covers a lot more than just bar snacks. I only got a couple of pieces of salmon but I thought the quality was decent.

• Yeming
    February 1, 2011
    50 posts

How about Teppanyaki restaurants ? Preferably with private cook. ( Not necessarily private room )

• berlydallas
    June 7, 2011
    23 posts

I really love Sakura on Tong Zi Lin Dong Lu. Also, my favorite all around Japanese which includes teppan, sushi, tempura, etc. has to be the Japanese restaurant inside the Sofitel Wanda. They have an all you can eat and drink too which is fantastic.

• pepper
    June 8, 2011
    60 posts

What do you order at sakura? I tried a few kinds of sushi but it was was so tough (probably frozen and re-frozen) I sent everything back after one bite. Based on the sushi I never went again, but I never tried other stuff on the menu. The servers were very good about it though.

• Consultant2012
    June 9, 2011
    8 posts

I have been going to the all you can eat place in Champagne Plaza, on the corner near Chunxi Lu there's 2 both great and super fresh just like home,never been sick, great staff. I only eat:Tempura, Salmon roles,nigiri and other nigiri its upper level up the escalator and up one more escalator one about 90 Yuan the other is about 125 i think but the cheaper one is great check it out i go twice a week,its very very good nigiri, fresh ice cold fish never been sick, tempura oh my so good. Anyone up for a double date msg me and my wifey! lol. However i have never been to any other place yet so those are my favorites. hehe. stay clear of the romantic cafe got food poisoning there ouchhhhhhhhhhh

• invisible
    May 15, 2013
    1534 posts

There is a nice looking Japanese place in the Yanlord Mall that was recommended to me by a Japanese chef. Haven't eaten there yet, but the interior looks nice and at RMB150 p.p. I may give it a try if I hear of a second positive opinion.

• invisible
    September 13, 2014
    1534 posts

Finally found a nice little place run by a Japanese, but it's really small. the sushi is just a sidekick there - the real deal is the fish & chicken dishes.

http://gochengdoo.com/en/listings/item/qiu_33166/qiudaoyu_dewei

just opposite the Lain Guy shop in the Great World Mall 1F

• sen.hope
    September 24, 2014
    13 posts

@invisible
    thx for the recommandation...
    gonna try there...

I tried Sushi in the new IFS Mall (Yuanqi Sushi)
    http://www.dianping.com/shop/17168395

But its really not worthy to spend money there. Still dont understand, why they are able to make perfect Sushi in HK, Shanghai and Beijing, but doing just crap in Chengdu .... T_T

• Supa E
    December 1, 2014
    3 posts

Hey @invisible!, I new to chengdu and i believe I live close to yanlord mall, is it close to the Ikea? Just wondering if you ate there because sushi and rolls have been on my mind...yum

Thanks

• invisible
    December 1, 2014
    1534 posts

@sen.hope

i know why but don't want to make too many ppl here angry

@supa e

close to ikea? maybe 2km away it's close to the carrefour in tongzilin

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.