SMOKING BAN

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 22 posts • NewestRSS

• Wisedragon
    March 25, 2011
    24 posts

For all the right reasons Beijing will implement smoking bans in public places. This to include bars and restaurants. It is not mentioned in the proposal how this will be enforced.

I have conflicting interests. I have never put a cigarette in my mouth; of any kind. I have lived most of my life in clean environments with fresh winds and wild views. Suddenly it seemed I moved to a city. In my mind it is big and sprawling but those around me apologise, saying it is just a small one. But they tell me the rare breezes set off from the mountains of Tibet and not from spluttering Beijing or the Gobi. For arguments sake allow me to be deceived sometimes. You might be led to surmise i do not dwell in Chengdu nor Kunming. Coming from a village of 300 that would be a jungle or two too far.

My dilemma? I sell beers and wines and spirits. My whole livelihood comes from working for myself. I am not pampered anymore by a school or college. In fact I've been self-employed for 24 years with just a 2 year break while I adjusted to my now 7+ year sojourn in China.

The Chinese smoke. They smoke a lot. In fact they are not only the number one country of smokers percentage-wise but each smoker smokes more on average than in any other country. Their cigarettes of choice are also less clean ( is a 'clean' cigarette an oxymoron? ) and with more heavy metals etc. in them. They also seem to all smoke in pubs and bars. Okay, I installed expensive air purifiers in my pub/bars. We have good a/c. We even empty half-full ashtrays. Was this for my customers' or for my own health? International brand too and guaranteed to each filter 70m3 per hour...... but. They only help rather than succeed when we are packed.

" Smoking ban in British Pubs" sounded like a death knell. It also made the doorways look less inviting with gangs of draggers loitering about.

Now my question is: will this affect my business? My initial thoughts have been that it will get universally ignored. Yes, I can see some ex-pats tapping smokers and pointing with disdain at the signs and regailing those who laugh back.They just might allow corners for smokers so the uniformed health inspectors ( yes, they abound and do their job with [malice aforethought?] gusto. Their white buses even say Health Inspector on them in English !).

At first I was pensive about this but after a few seconds of deep pondering I am of the conclusion that for some time at least the ban will not affect the way of traditional life at most bars and pubs.

• invisible
    March 25, 2011
    1534 posts

The smoking ban law for Sichuan starting May 1st doesn't include restaurants/bars
    http://cd.qq.com/a/20110318/000244.htm

Btw Chinese are not the heaviest smokers in the world
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita

Even if they tried it would take at least a decade from discussion till implementation before the ban'd be effective/ accepted.

If there is one place where smoking ban makes absolutely no sense it's bars.

• Wisedragon
    March 25, 2011
    24 posts

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&biw=1168&bih=599&q=+WHO+report+on+smoking+in+China&aq=o&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I do not desire to be unquestionably right in all things nor to be taken overly seriously. Today's BBC Online News stated that it includes bars and restaurants but perversely not the workplace. I shall put a note in my diary for ten years hence to check up on the enforcement.

Thank you for editing out your last sentence and it is now invisible. It reads in a kindlier way.

• merior
    March 25, 2011
    70 posts

Yes it will almost certainly affect your business... but, this is China so exactly how is difficult to predict. In the UK the pubs picked up their lost business by selling lunchtime (burgers with chips etc) and evening meals (French & Italian recipes). The decors also changed to accommodate tables and chairs while the pool tables and dart boards etc disappeared.

• invisible
    March 26, 2011
    1534 posts

So I checked again, I don't see anything about a smoking ban in bars in the Chinese news apart from refering to that bs that's going on in the UK and other countries.

What seems to have caused Western copycats to spread the rumor of a total ban seems to go back to quoting demands of Wu Yiqun, a fanatic asceticism propagandist.

As far as I understand the central gov is currently making some efforts to frame a national law that restricts smoking in certain places with the general tendency to reduce passive and active smoking ( in accordance to international treaties signed in the 90s.)

Each province then has to pass a specific regulations and oversee their execution. We are talking about banning smoking in hospitals, schools and gov buildings like libraries etc NOW.

We def. have another 10 years before they even COULD extend the ban to bars. They tried in BJ during the Olympics and SH during the EXPO see how it worked out?

So again, AT THE MOMENT China is trying to stop doctors smoking in the hospital elevators. Which doesn't seem completely unreasonable to me.

On a side note: How about kicking out that chemicals in the cigarettes and offer real tobacco. Or how about free health care for everyone? IF health is the issue...

• Yeming
    March 30, 2011
    50 posts

About the chemicals, i think that is true, but is it for all cigarettes? I used to buy marlboro because i was used to it in the west but somehow i think they are different...

• MARC X
    March 31, 2011
    13 posts

A few months a go I would of said nothing besides 'My home town of Montreal' in Canada also has this law and enforces it and I believe the city is better for it. But ultimately, I don't really mind. If the smoke annoys me, I move.

But now that my wife gave birth ((A few months ago)), I find myself in a huge dilemma since most restaurants allow smoking and I do not want to subject my kid to it but at the same time I feel that asking someone to stop smoking for her sake is intruding... The law would help but there would be a huge adaptation period since SO many people smoke in China.

• hapatofu
    March 31, 2011
    149 posts

i think pretty much all commercially produced cigarettes contain lots of chemicals. i think the u.s. brand american spirit always advertised itself as additive-free but that's probably marketing BS of some kind.

• Wisedragon
    March 31, 2011
    24 posts

It isn't so much added chemicals but the heavy metals etc. which lie in Chinese soils where tobacco is grown. It permeates, pervades and invades many foodstuffs also of course. The Marlboros in my place are from abroad as are the Dunhills. Is America pristine and pure?

I would find it virtually impossible to tell a customer to not smoke in my pubs. It can be hard to reason with people especially after they have imbibed alcohol. I guess I could just thump them to get my meaning across.

It will be quite an experiment if the ban succeeds as by now I must be addicted to my 20 cigarettes a day passive smoking. Will I have cravings ? Will my precious wife find me cranky and intolerable ? Will I have to close ? Just what is the meaning of life Grasshopper?

• chriss
    April 28, 2011
    2 posts

I cant imagine the bars with no smoking! serious

• invisible
    April 30, 2011
    1534 posts

WTF, I think they don't understand themselves what's going on. There seems to big a HUGE difference between the issued news in English and Chinese, maybe they want to give (a non-smoking) face to the rest of the world????
    http://en.kunming.cn/index/content/2011-04/29/content_2512480.htm

@wise
    What I meant was the chemicals that make smoking "easier" so you can puff the whole day. Real tobacco is really strong and bitter, and most people can't really smoke that, let alone chain smoking. Try smoking a real Cuban cigar in one session. I don't think you can. You stop or you throw up.

A movie recommendation on the topic
    "Thank you for smoking"

• TokyoJim
    April 30, 2011
    9 posts

When California enacted their ban on smoking in all bars, the bar owners complained that this would be the end of their businesses; that no one would go to bars anymore if they couldn't smoke.

Well, the smoking ban has been around about fifteen years and the bars are still here, and they still have plenty of customers. They just go outside when they want to smoke. No big deal.

I do (selfishly) hope that the law will apply to bars. I never enjoy returning home with all my clothes and my hair smelling like smoke.

• F-Train
    May 1, 2011
    19 posts

The smoking ban reminds me of my home (NJ & NY). Looks like home has followed me here in Chengdu. I don't smoke, so it's no surprise about the whole smoking ban. :)

• Meekael
    May 7, 2011
    40 posts

HaHa This is a funny blog since i did read the ban in Chengdu, but everyone still smoke since you have to get caught and fined, since this country is so corrupt they will only become effective once police and others can enforce these bans. I never smoked until i breath this dirty shit china air, i started shortly after now my lungs have adjusted to the air and i quit after only smoking a few months. Now i just have to adjust my mind to the brainwashed people who actually believe what they are told. 1 Billion people and everyone has to be first in line, last week i knock a guy over for butting in line after warning him 3 times. It sadly wont be the last then the cops laughed about it and told the guy to leave haha. The more European Chengdu or China gets means proper progression. 80% of the people are farmers and or poor. But the hail there leaders like puppets from the Muppets. Smoke away china smoke away...............

• Wisedragon
    May 7, 2011
    24 posts

Life goes on much as before. No-one has mentioned the ban in my places and the majority smoke and wander around offering their fags. Even the staff smoke when customers proffer them and the table of senior judges last night were puffing and slurping away. Since there are no actual penalties for smoking or allowing smokers then just how can the ban be enforced? But the cigar girl failed last evening on her two forries to entice anyone to buy her produce but that could be the 150-300rmb per cigar.

What next? Banning alcohol in pubs?

• Todd Rodd
    May 9, 2011
    1 post

@meekael if you hate china so much why don't you just leave?? I hate to see the likes of you, receiving the extra friendly attitude from the local community, extra attention from the prettiest girls they'll ever see and crazy unjustified salaries for easy jobs (not excluding myself), and still bitching about how terrible china is. Don't like china? Who's stopping you? Please do return to your progressive englightened European country. People like you, who start fights with a guy who cut them in line are what gives foreigners a bad name. So please do us all a favor and... Smoke away meekael smoke away...

• stormdrayne
    May 9, 2011
    44 posts

i was just in the police station making a report, the nice cop was smoking, i said is it ok if i light one up, he said no, there is a smoking ban in public places, i nodded my head in agreement and said it was a good idea.

• invisible
    June 1, 2011
    1534 posts

So far the only place I see has changed it's smoking policy is bookworm, it's no non-smoking inside.
    Other than that, no big change. The taxi driver yesterday smoked and also the doctor in the quarantine center, the hospital for the laowai health check was smoking in one of the examination rooms.

• Miss Mixit
    June 6, 2011
    9 posts

There have been non smoking signs in my elevator since I moved in but no one pays any attention to it...Smoking in elevators is disgusting, smoking in taxis/cars/hospitals is disgusting. Any confined space that others have to in hale your toxic fumes is selfish and quite frankly gross. Especially for asthma sufferers such as myself. Bars and restaurants could be split in to 2 categories smoking and non smoking, then we could choose. People should have some where to go and smoke, I'm not a smoker but I think that smokers have a right to smoke in bars/cafes etc. They should open up Amsterdam style coffee shops in China....

Why is it always all or nothing?

• Miss Mixit
    June 6, 2011
    9 posts

There have been non smoking signs in my elevator since I moved in but no one pays any attention to it...Smoking in elevators is disgusting, smoking in taxis/cars/hospitals is disgusting. Any confined space that others have to in hale your toxic fumes is selfish and quite frankly gross. Especially for asthma sufferers such as myself. Bars and restaurants could be split in to 2 categories smoking and non smoking, then we could choose. People should have some where to go and smoke, I'm not a smoker but I think that smokers have a right to smoke in bars/cafes etc. They should open up Amsterdam style coffee shops in China....

Why is it always all or nothing?

• invisible
    November 2, 2011
    1534 posts

Looks like I was wrong, so now shamrock is non-smoking, as is lazy pug, bookworm (kinda makes sense for library/ reading cafe/ restaurant) and I heard the underground, too. Looks like some kind of campaign going on, however a lot of places still are not, and don't give a damn.

@miss mixit
    good point
    good point:)

• Yuanyangren
    November 2, 2011
    188 posts

Unfortunately, it will take a long time before China's smokers stop acting as selfishly as they currently do. It depends on which city you live in, with Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou citizens much more likely to accept the ban, but Kunming for example, is 10-20 years behind these cities in terms of development and in social terms too, so expect it to take another decade or two before Chengdu and Kunming and the rest of China finally jumps on the anti-smoking bandwagon. In the meantime, Thailand has amongst the toughest anti-smoking laws in developing Asia, and Vietnam's anti-smoking laws are pretty good too. In fact, any establishment catering largely to foreigners in most countries in the region (Laos and Cambodia included) have strong anti-smoking laws in place - unfortunately, this is not yet the case in most of mainland China.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.