Cheap DVD's

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 10 posts • NewestRSS

• mr.willaby
    March 28, 2011
    11 posts

Where is the best place to buy cheap dvd's which will work on laptop and back home in UK thanks.

• Yeming
    March 29, 2011
    50 posts

you should ask which place you cant buy cheap dvd's, because you can buy them everywhere. Most of the time ppl are selling them on the streets. if your looking for broad collection i suggest you look in Sichuan University or just outside the eastgate. or try computer city, top floor.

• mr.willaby
    March 30, 2011
    11 posts

yeah thanks do u know if these will work in dvd players back in England?

• iraglassismyhero
    March 30, 2011
    99 posts

yes, they usually do, although sometimes it's confusing/annoying for people when the menus are all in chinese.

• hapatofu
    March 30, 2011
    149 posts

are you sure? i've heard mixed reports. somebody told me they send packages of cheap DVDs home regularly so that would make me think they do. on the other hand my sister bought a big boxed set of some TV show when she visited several years ago and then brought it home to the u.s. and none of the discs would play.

• invisible
    March 30, 2011
    1534 posts

the dvds will work if your dvd player can read all region codes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

• Yeming
    March 30, 2011
    50 posts

I think it depends on the quality of your dvd player and maybe tv. You should keep in mind the regions and if either you a PAL or NTSC or both tv. In china they sell NTSC, but in europe old tvs only play PAL.

• Tiger John
    April 3, 2011
    8 posts

Where are the DVD shops hiding now?

My luck with the street dvd people isn't good. Several dvds purchased, several bad dvds or wrong movies.

I recently went to computer city, 8th floor, to buy some dvds and the rooms were empty? It appeared like a quick get-away had been made. I asked the clerk in my poor Chinese if the "Cheng Guang" enforcers had made a raid on computer city lately? He laughed and handed me some dvds. I heard the door lock behind me when I exited!

Oh, I long for the old days in China where dvd shops were on every corner. Well, I guess that's progress for Microsoft, singers and movie stars.

Walking around on the different floors asking for dvd shops, a young boy approached me and proceeded to take us to the underground 2 floor, where the cars park and inside a "locked" room. Ah Hah, they have literally "gone underground." My friend laughed. Damn IPR and laws and stuff to make life difficult for us foreigners in Chengdu.

Yeah, I know Xinhua Bookstore has some dvds.

I guess I will continue to download with BitTorrent.

• iraglassismyhero
    April 3, 2011
    99 posts

at both computer city and 'buy now' if you go to the top floors where the dvds used to be, usually now people will approach you to ask if you want to buy dvds. then they'll take you to a room in an apartment or closet or someplace relatively nearby, sometimes in the same building, sometimes not, as it seems you've already experienced. in my experience, these hidden dvd places don't have the greatest selection.

but two good places that have been around for years are still nearby. from the 'buy now', cross the street and take the stairs next to the entrance for the CSC fast food place up to the third floor, turn right and knock on the first door. also, from the 'buy now', head north, take the first right and go into the first residential compound on the left. take the first right after passing through the gate and just ask for someone to take you to the dvd lady. her place is—if i remember correctly—on the fourth floor of the last danyuan on the left. both of these places are somewhat large and well-stocked. happy hunting!

• chriss
    April 28, 2011
    2 posts

good suggestions. thanks

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.