China Post problems?

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 12 posts • NewestRSS

• hapatofu
    March 31, 2011
    149 posts

Has anybody had problems sending flat envelopes with printed matter overseas via China Post? I've sent quite a few, but they seem to have a pretty low chance of actually making it to their recipient. The latest one (an envelope with some locally produced and sold kids' Chinese-learning books) I sent last October or November to Italy and it still hasn't arrived ... I'm guessing it never will. Is there a way to ensure that future packages will get there or should I just not bother?

• vividskyblue
    March 31, 2011
    8 posts

I tried sending a small secondhand Chinese book to Singapore last year from Beijing. But I missed out one digit in the address and didn't put a return address. I wonder if the lost mail is somewhere in China, Singapore or...?

The post office staff are quite particular about seeing some parts of the mailing address written in Chinese, for the country at least..

• iraglassismyhero
    March 31, 2011
    99 posts

i haven't sent many things home, but i have given up on ever receiving things from overseas via regular post. my rule of thumb is stick with international shipping companies like fedex, and if you must send it china post, go to the jinjiang hotel post office where they're used to sending things overseas and have the customer service standards to get it right the first time. the post office workers i've met elsewhere just don't seem to care much about their jobs and are not up to the 'mafan' of dealing with the differences inherent in sending something overseas. it's really frustrating!

• hapatofu
    April 1, 2011
    149 posts

well in related news i just received notice that a package (a proper package, not an envelope) arrived in the u.k. yesterday, just two weeks after i sent it out. i'm impressed. i sent it SAL, which is the middle option (apparently airlifted between the two countries and treated as surface mail domestically). it costs a bit more than surface mail but quite a bit less than air. previously i'd only sent packages via surface mail and they'd take around two months to arrive. i'm going with SAL from now on!

and iraglassismyhero, the yulin post office (near the big veggie market) is pretty good. always friendly and patient with me. the kehua zhong lu branch (in the bailian tianfu, if it's still open?) was also always pretty efficient and seemed to know what they were doing as far as international mailing. zongbei, on the other hand, does not and i think even refused to send packages internationally.

• hapatofu
    April 1, 2011
    149 posts

and also i've never not received a package sent internationally, and they're always sent via regular post. i missed a few small letters and whatnot when i first arrived but i think it's because i had my address wrong. i always e-mail a PDF of my address in pinyin and chinese and ask the sender to print it out and affix it to the envelope/package. it seems to work fine. and i always have it sent to office buildings rather than apartments with shady bao'an.

• invisible
    April 1, 2011
    1534 posts

Ok time to join the bitching. If you have to send a letter and you want that thing to arrive in time and make sure it arrives you have to bleed RMB240-300. That's how much DHL robs from you, oh and express is 1 week in their mind. LAME. Not enough what I really hate is their fuel surcharge, I think it was RMB30 or more. WTF? what did I pay ALL the other money for if it wasn't for the transport fuel? And yeah I caught the friendly front desk staff sleeping more than once.....

• iraglassismyhero
    April 1, 2011
    99 posts

@hapatofu, i totally agree SAL is the way to go. it's not that much more expensive than surface all the way, but it gets there quite a bit quicker. i've always sent things that way and have never had a problem. i don't know why i haven't received packages from abroad, but it might be worth a try again as from what i've been hearing, the post system does seem to have gotten better over the years. the last time i tried to find my lost Christmas packages from home, i ended up being sent on a 3-hr wild goose chase to three different post offices, the next one bigger than the last and was met with nothing but blank stares and 'that's not my job' across the board, but that was a few years ago. glad that the jinjiang isn't the only decent place to go now, but it's still the closest safe bet to me!

• hapatofu
    April 16, 2011
    149 posts

OK, i just received a package from the u.s. and it had clearly been completely opened, the contents sifted through, and every single one of the 30-odd kool-aid packets that were in there were confiscated. the other stuff (knitting yarns) all came through ok. odd. i didn't know kool-aid was a prohibited item. the china post people put the yarn back in a ridiculously humongous box, taped it up, and sent it on its way to me.

• pribadi
    December 16, 2012
    1 post

Anybody can help me how to check register mail data specially weight of my shipment in China Postal Express?
    or any body can help me how to send the complaint to china postal customer service or seller please

• janithslk
    December 17, 2012
    9 posts

hey guys if you need any help to send letters books and many other things. except electronic items. i can help you with resonable charges. if you need any information mail me. ill will send all the items from hk. ill come to your place and collect the parcel and money you can give me when it reach. because im garentee 100% it will reach to hand. max it will take 7 days. normaly it takes 3-5 days.

my mail janithslk@gmail.com
    you can mail me then we can discuss more

thank you cheers

• AussieAndy
    December 19, 2012
    9 posts

Yes I would like to add my little story.
    I sent a box of personal gifts to my girlfriend in Chengdu.
    Posted from Australia 4 months ago. She has not received it and I had her address in English and Chinese and also my return address on the back. It would have contained about 900 RMB worth of goods but it also contained many photos and a letter.
    She has got no where with her inquiries.

I work for Australia post and although I would never say we are perfect, I can say we go to great lengths to make sure the mail gets delivered. Packages get special attention.
    Did anyone see the expose of the treatment given to parcels and packages at the China Post depot ?

Extremely poor effort by SOME of the workers. Throwing and kicking peoples mail around. Dont send anything fragile.
    They showed piles of boxes that had been busted open and all the contents spilled out on the ground.
    There should be a lot of questions asked.

• AussieAndy
    December 19, 2012
    9 posts

Yes I would like to add my little story.
    I sent a box of personal gifts to my girlfriend in Chengdu.
    Posted from Australia 4 months ago. She has not received it and I had her address in English and Chinese and also my return address on the back. It would have contained about 900 RMB worth of goods but it also contained many photos and a letter.
    She has got no where with her inquiries.

I work for Australia post and although I would never say we are perfect, I can say we go to great lengths to make sure the mail gets delivered. Packages get special attention.
    Did anyone see the expose of the treatment given to parcels and packages at the China Post depot ?

Extremely poor effort by SOME of the workers. Throwing and kicking peoples mail around. Dont send anything fragile.
    They showed piles of boxes that had been busted open and all the contents spilled out on the ground.
    There should be a lot of questions asked.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.