Move to Chengdu. Suitcase

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 11 posts • NewestRSS

• Rober
    April 21, 2011
    2 posts

Hi...i am moving to Chengdu next week and I will stay there a few months. I wonder what it is important to bring from Europe. I am not sure about the staff that will be difficult to find there and i will appreciate any help.
    Thanks a lot.

• Marky
    April 21, 2011
    90 posts

Deodorant and chocolate.

• Jonason
    April 22, 2011
    3 posts

Quality clothes and facial stuff in chengdu are much expensive.
    Food is spicy, and the weather is often cloudy except for the summer.

• hapatofu
    April 22, 2011
    149 posts

a good pair of shoes that will last for the duration of your stay and be appropriate for the weather conditions while you're here (hot and humid in summer).

chocolate, agree.

any brand-name electronics that you might want while you're here (camera, laptop, etc.) you should probably buy before you come if you don't have them already.

since you're staying only a few months you'll probably be ok packing minimally. don't necessarily plan on buying clothes here as the sizing, cuts, styles, and quality might not be to your liking.

if you have any particular hobbies that require special equipment (i.e., running shoes, musical instruments, etc.) you might want to bring those? depends on what they are i suppose.

• merior
    April 24, 2011
    70 posts

Deodorant is available in Amway. Foreign brands of chocolate are generally available but are rumoured to be manufactured to different recipes. Good quality clothes and shoes are definately more expensive even when made in China. Good copy designer branded goods are definately much cheaper than the genuine article. Computer games, even the pirated stuff, seem to be in Chinese.

• Rober
    April 24, 2011
    2 posts

Thanks a lot for all your advises...I am now finishing the suitcase now and I follow everything that you told me...Chocolates, Deodorant, face creams, electronics and my clothes and shoes, since I prefer to don't buy in China...In any case, the weight limit is 23 Kg, so at least I know that i am taking the main staff and I am not having bad surprises there. Thanks again. See you in Chengdu.

• anjie
    April 25, 2011
    23 posts

Definitely shoes, but almost everything else you can find here - if you're only here a few months, pack light! You might want to take stuff back with you!

• invisible
    April 25, 2011
    1534 posts

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the number one: medicine, as a lot of Western drugs are not available here, others are imported and expensive, re-imported or sometimes it's a pain to get their Chinese equivalent (generica) without prescription (which means you have to go to the hospital and queue up etc. for a piece of paper)....

If you aren't an English native speaker I'd recommend books.

Unless you are an European choco snob you'll be ok if the chocolate that' on the shelves at Auchuan, Carrefour etc.

• anjie
    April 26, 2011
    23 posts

But it isn't really that difficult to get prescriptions...if you can get someone to help you find the Chinese name, almost any pharmacy will give it to you (at least in my experience). And there are also a few Western doctors here who can get you stuff. Last time I went back I brought ibuprofen with me and a bunch of natural medicines. I was most thankful for that little bottle of ibuprofen!!

• invisible
    April 26, 2011
    1534 posts

@anjie
    Well it is as I stated, stuff that's easy to get in the pharmacy back home CAN be difficult to get here. Also sometimes you can only buy it at certain pharmacies in certain hospitals (so that means extensive running around). Of course it is POSSIBLE you had a different experience with YOUR medicine, actually the ibuprofen you picked as an example you can get EVERYWHERE for cheap, but ibuprofen isn't the kind of medication I had in mind.

• vividskyblue
    April 26, 2011
    8 posts

Yes, medicine is important. Bring what works for you from home, for normal sore throat, colds and flu. It's going to be summer. And personal toiletries if you must. I've had a bad experience with a toothbrush bought in China :/

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.