Cost of utilities

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 13 posts • NewestRSS

• Kiwi4
    June 1, 2011
    7 posts

Hi.

My wife and two sons are coming to Chengdu in August, and I'm trying to get a feeling of what the cost of living will be. Would anyone be able to help me out with what some of the utilities like electricity, gas and water will cost per month?

Many thanks.

• invisible
    June 1, 2011
    1534 posts

You could find some answer here:
    http://gochengdoo.com/en/forums/thread/3682/cost_of_living

Besides it's impossible to predict you bills.

Biggest number on your bill would be electricity because of the heating in the winter and cooling in the summer, as Chengdu's flats usually don't have efficient insulation. (But newer flats could come with central heating).

In Europe you'd count on 4,000 Kwh/ per year for a typical family of four, which at 0.55 RMB/ Kwh would add up to 2,200 RMB per anno.

As a thumb of rule add another 1 RMB for every hour you use one small to medium sized AC. So in winter a lot of foreigners pay hundreds every month just for AC heating of their apartment.

Water is about 2 RMB per 1000 liter or 1 m^3. So maybe 4 m^3 per person per month would be RMB8/ p.p. per month.

However I once had a bill for 1.5 million liter!(sic!) for a single-person flat prob due some pipe leak in the winter or maybe they made a mistake reading the numbers. So keep an eye on that, too.

Gas. I think a good share of the bill is the penalty fee you pay every time you're late running to the gas company to drop your RMB20 per month (per person). It's easily half if you don't cook and don't shower every day.

Don't forget trash, house maintenance & security (bao'an) aka 物管() Wuguan(li)fei - [although that wu should be a in most cases:)] which together should be a bit more than 1 RMB per sqm, maybe even 1.5 RMB, but could be much more in luxury apartment complexes.

• Dragon Expeditions
    June 1, 2011
    174 posts

@invisible Wow, that has to count as one of the most thorough and scientific replies ever on this forum!

But the real reason for my reply is that I just spat coffee at my computer reading this:

" 物管() Wuguan(li)fei - [although that wu should be a in most cases:)] "

Love it. Too true.

• Kiwi4
    June 2, 2011
    7 posts

invisible: Thanks for the detailed post. I have done some research on a few of the Chengdu real estate sites that advertise apartments for rent, and seen these figures presented:

Per person, per month:

water: 50 RMB
    Electricity: 400 RMB
    Gas: 50 RMB
    Internet: 120 RMB
    Management: 1-2 RMB per square meter

I was just trying to get some sort of feeling as to whether these figures were accurate/realistic or not.

Unfortunately as I don't understand Chinese characters (yet) I didn't get the joke that obviously Dragon Expeditions got :-)

• Dragon Expeditions
    June 2, 2011
    174 posts

I don't spend as much as that on electricity (but never run the aircon), otherwise the numbers seem about right to me.

物管 (wu guan) is 'property management'
    无管 is a different tone but otherwise the same pronunciation and would translate to something like 'no management' - a better explanation for what they actually do with your money.

• v.vinu
    June 2, 2011
    1 post

electricity & gas bills are much more expensive here. if u r using the air conditioner,,then u need to pay more for the electricity.so better use the heater fanswith low walt power in winter season. & if u use the
    hotwater regularly,,then the gas bills also quite a big amount 4 u

• smilingyuki
    June 5, 2011
    6 posts

oh and i think the food is getting more and more expensive here!that's what my mum keeps complaining about.^_^

• stormdrayne
    June 6, 2011
    44 posts

i was just charged 300 for water for 1 month, i think i was totally ripped off, maybe a leaking toilet or tap somewhere but i had to foot the bill, should i call 110 ?

• invisible
    June 6, 2011
    1534 posts

Did you claim the leak? I guess not.

Did you get the meter checked? I guess not (by the way I did it, and my water meter was officially certified, cost like RMB50 if I'm not wrong, plus going to the city center & back).

Realistically chances are high that your toilet was leaking, as Chinese toilets LOVE to leak and waste water. You can call 110 if you want to, you can also talk to the wuguan, the waterman, god or whatnot. All that matters is that the watermeter WORKS correctly, therefor you got to pay. End of story. Yes it sucks.

• invisible
    December 28, 2012
    1534 posts

Electricity is now up to more than RMB0.8 per KWh!

• invisible
    January 6, 2014
    1534 posts

Looks like the electricity cost is changing in a pattern that is beyond my recognition abilities, does anybody know where they are published? Cost is currently at 0.5224 RMB per kWh, but i've seen it temporarily going up to 0.8. Is that even legal?

• Dragon Expeditions
    January 6, 2014
    174 posts

This is 阶梯电价, where, in a bizarre reverse discount scheme, the more units of power you use, the more each unit costs!

You'd have thought the rates would be published here: http://www.sc.sgcc.com.cn/html/main/index.html, but I can't see them anywhere.

I think (though am not certain) that the first 180 KWh are at 0.5224/KWh, units 181 - 240 are at 0.6224/KWh and beyond 240 units costs 0.8224.

• invisible
    January 11, 2014
    1534 posts

@dragon

wow thanks. so it's taxation of excessive electricity consumption. Seems weird at first, but actually makes sense. But the limits are set a bit low considering that everyone is heating with electric power.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.