STI checks.

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 7 posts • NewestRSS

• JulietteTheorette
    June 15, 2011
    4 posts

Looks like I'm in need of an STI check, but I don't speak Chinese and I would also like to avoid paying ridiculously high medical fees for a simple test. Any recommendations on where I can get this done?

• invisible
    June 15, 2011
    1534 posts

I wouldn't trust just about any ordinary or even famous Chinese hospital for STD test after all I've heard, read and seen, because of the high percentage of false positive results (and still relatively high percentage of false negative) and also because of hygiene concerns. Make sure they wear the appropriate! gloves and all parts of the syringe are new and packaged, not recycled! when they take the blood test.

Out of my head I can think of two clinics with specialized labs:

1. Sichuan International Travel & Health Center

四川国际旅行卫生保健中心
    This one is the quarantine center and also the place most expats go to get their yearly health check (for their work/residence visa).
    It's in Tongzilin (half way texmex to carrefour)
    桐梓林北路1 Tonzilin Beilu
    Tel. 85197251, 85158859
    It improved a lot the last couple of years, and is now efficient and looks clean and hygenic, however don't expect a real doctor consulation there, or much help in English.

2. 四川省皮肤病医院
    It's a dermatological clinic, but their test labor seems to be respected and the main place for local Chinese to go and verify their tests (or false positives).
    四道街12

Tel. 86241171
    Staff there seems much nicer than the 1st one, but noone speaks English and they used some recycle plastic part for the syringe when they take the blood.

Depending on the disease it shouldn't be more then a couple of dozens kuai. Before you take the test and after a doctor will consult you and ask you questions (why, how, blabla). Make sure to bring a Chinese speaking friend, if you yourself don't speak the language, don't count on doctors to make an effort to address you in English.

Test results should be there instantly or within 24hours depending on the kind of test and disease and lunch breaks:)
    To avoid queues try to get to the clinic between 11 and 12 a.m. (morning are packed with worried ppl).

If you want to avoid going to state agencies to check order home tests online. I don't have a link at hand, but Mirates Rapid Home tests for either HIV or Hepatitis B or combination used to be available in Hongkong if I remember correctly. Now there are other brands on the market that you could order online. The home tests are more expensive (up to 20 $), but you get a result within 5 min with a 99,9% accuracy (a lot better than a normal or even very good hospital in China).

All the best and maybe you can report back about your experience, as it is a sensitive topic to deal with, but first hand-info might be very much appreciated by others in similar situations.

• iraglassismyhero
    June 15, 2011
    99 posts

I've been doing ob/gyn checkups with a man named Dr. Yang for years. Originally he was recommended to me by a friend. He speaks excellent English, so you can rest assured that you can go alone for complete privacy. He has helped myself and other people I know with pap smears, ultrasounds, pregnancy, miscarriage; pretty much anything and everything related to ob/gyn. He's very kind and patient and helpful. The only problem is recently he's started working at a private hospital, so the fees there are higher than the previous two hospitals he worked at that I used to go to. Coincidentally, I went there for the first time this morning and it was a very nice clean, quiet and NOT crowded hospital near Cha Dianzi in the northwest just outside the second ring. If you're really concerned about cost, you may find that hospital a bit pricey, but it's still cheaper than Parkway or Global Doctors and he will give you complete peace of mind. He even texts or emails results if you ask. Anyway, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you just called or texted to explain the situation and ask about the fees; tell him Diane sent you: 13882002971 Best of luck.

• JulietteTheorette
    June 16, 2011
    4 posts

Thanks! I'll give him a call!

• SophiaEleutheria
    July 1, 2015
    1 post

Is the Dr. Yangs number still the same? Or does anybody has other suggestions regarding an English speaking gynecologist?

• invisible
    August 11, 2015
    1534 posts

@sophia

Ther are also English speaking gynecologists at Parkwwayhealth, Angel hospital and No.1 hospital.

• m99xy
    July 8, 2018
    1 post

Anyone have updates on this thread?

Where’s the best place for expats to go?

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.