The Guardian.UK Chengdu stories

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 12 posts • NewestRSS

• The Guardian.UK
    August 9, 2011
    1 post

I am writing a story for the Guardian website and i am looking for stories from people on how living as a expat in different countries has impacted their lives. I have heard some truly horrible stories since moving to China in May of this year from expats and travelers. I am looking for a story in which is true of a telling tale, something that happened to you. I shall not be publishing the name and simply the story will be told as part of a 3 part story on expats around the world. Local Chinese travelers are also welcome to enter their stories.

Please do not include an actual names as we will be liable for the story but feel free to include all the details leaving out the name, if the story is worthy it will be online. We have a similar post in Burma right now and a story is being told about a traveler who had heroin put into his luggage and was jailed. Another tale was in Tibet where a mans camera was taken by police for no reason another by an expat in Chengdu who had his passport stolen and then posted the story on this website only to have it removed by administration. We have taken this story seriously as the passport was that of a British Citizen. We have followed up by investigating this crime. We found it to be true and when we contacted the alleged thief he disconnected his phone but we tracked his number the a Chengdu number, the passport was also used at a un-named border cross altered and the impersonator was detained and released once he had given the name of the seller.

A message to administration, we are not in anyway posting or writing a story against Go Chengdu and we thank this site for allowing this thread to be opened. I have been following this blog for a few months and noticed a number of unfair dismissals of allegations and we are not looking for wild stories on how you were ripped off by a school or as we cant prove any of this sort of allegation. We are looking for any stories whether they are good or bad we want to alert travelers to be careful while traveling and working in foreign counties as expats. I am only here on a business Visa and i am not working here, i am just writing travelers stories for various blogs including the Guardian and lonely planet. We also hope to do a short documentary in September with expats about their stories this is on a volunteer basis.

I have read all the blogs and frankly some of them have been flat out lies and some have been true, as we have 2 associate in Chengdu(myself and a local) we will meet for coffee if a story is chosen and pay for your time. Please be aware to leave out stories against schools as this site is well known to screen the threads to cater to the alleged offender. I have seen threads appear and disappear in a flash so keep it clean, keep in mind we are not censored and will print your story the propaganda here has no strangle hold on us. Sorry if we take a while to respond as we are dealing with riots in our homeland. Check out the websites blogs at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/tone/blog

• The French Fry
    August 9, 2011
    9 posts

Well i have a story for you, I am posting from a hostel because i am a paranoid haha. Not super crazy but i am from France, and i was traveling to Chengdu where i now live and i have a few stories but since i am a teacher i cant talk about my teaching stuff though oh so juicy, well i was in one of the local swimming pools yesterday after reading the article about the pee issue and i actually saw a local kids crap in the pool it was a floater and the pool tech removed the poop and did not inform anyone and when i asked him in Chinese to evacuate the small pool he shrugged it off like it was normal? he told me it happens all the time, what? So i told him the poop could make people very sick or at least i.e vomit and i am now putting up the story but i want to name the pool can i do so? Further more i went back to the pool today to speak with the manager and he said procedure is to remove the poop and continue swimming, i thought at least they could tell people to get out the poop was floating for about 5 minutes before i told the guy even though he saw the kid take a poop even worse was that the kids mother did nothing? are we animals. F***. Come on people, maybe not Guardian worthy but a crappy story none the less. Ever see the south park episode where the pool is 99% pee OMG lol. This in no way affects my view of China but that's sick man, its poop.

• The French Fry
    August 9, 2011
    9 posts

In French for my people.........

Eh bien, j'ai une histoire pour vous, je suis annonce d'une auberge, parce que je suis un paranoïaque haha. Pas super, mais je suis folle de la France, et je me rendais à Chengdu où je vis maintenant et j'ai quelques histoires mais depuis que je suis un enseignant i cant parler mes trucs d'enseignement mais ô combien juteux, bien que j'étais dans l'un des piscines locales hier après avoir lu l'article sur la question pipi et j'ai vu une merde locales enfants dans la piscine était un flotteur et la pointe piscine enlevé la merde et n'a informé personne, et quand je lui ai demandé en chinois pour évacuer les petites piscine il haussa partit comme il était normal? il m'a dit qu'il arrive tout le temps, qu'est-ce? Alors je lui ai dit de la merde peut rendre les gens très malades ou au moins savoir vomissures et je suis en train de mettre en place l'histoire, mais je veux le nom de la piscine puis-je faire? Plus loin plus, je suis retournée à la piscine aujourd'hui pour parler avec le directeur et il m'a dit la procédure est d'enlever la merde et de continuer à nager, je pensais au moins, ils pourraient dire aux gens de sortir de la merde flottait pendant environ 5 minutes avant que je l'ai dit Guy, même si il a vu l'enfant prendre un merde encore pire était que la mère des enfants n'a rien fait? nous sommes des animaux. F ***. Venez sur des personnes, peut-être pas digne gardien, mais une histoire de merde rien moins. Jamais vu l'épisode de South Park où la piscine est de 99% pee OMG lol. Cette n'affecte en aucune manière ma vision de la Chine, mais c'est l'homme malade, de sa merde.

• Not the Guardian
    August 9, 2011
    2 posts

http://trololololololololololo.com/

• Manchester.United
    August 9, 2011
    4 posts

Why would anyone post posing as a reporter, the Guardian has numerous freelance writers around the globe and this is a good way to get a free story to the curious thread. Even if its not the guardian its probably someone selling articles. Since you just created your profile i imagine your a local working for the site, i am very interested in the Burma story. I heard Burma is a total no go nowadays and you cant you link is funny as hell buds, (your invisible to eh) nowhere the guys link goes right to the website. Your such a troll ha ha the only person the fast to post is admin or a troll and there is know way to verify if this thread is from the guardian but i will take his word, hell who cares its not hurting anyone by putting up cool travelers stories, i have a tonne a great things to say about Asia and Chengdu is one of the best places to go to visit. The guy even says he will meet for coffee? I am gonna try Starbucks if he is paying. TROLL. Typical people.

• Manchester.United
    August 9, 2011
    4 posts

Again the link is funny nice. Get a job other than being a troll yourself buddy, hey french fry are you who i think you are?

i m'appeler si vous avez laissé revenir à Paris? votre téléphone est éteint?

• 4th.Reich
    August 9, 2011
    8 posts

The only way to remove the pee in a pool is to remove the person, population control. I would stay clear of any pools here the propaganda may seep into your thoughts and turn you into a robot like the rest of them.

I was in Honk Kong last week getting a Visa and lost my wallet at a famous food chain, the staff called did not touch a thing i went back searching for it and before i could say a word a guy stopped me to give it to me at the door, at least one part of this place is civilized don't you ever wonder why locals need papers to go to a part of their own country? They don't even trust themselves. With that said i still love China's mainland, Chengdu has impressed me every time i have been there. I live in Kunming now but love Chengdu easy women and corruption perfect mix, a true evolution of the rich stomping the poor into the ground while still some how making them think they are unified. The biggest scam in history. Amen.

• Panda.Panda
    August 9, 2011
    4 posts

totally off topic, anyone know where to fix a blackberry. My keyboard is busted?

xie xie ni..........

• stormdrayne
    August 9, 2011
    44 posts

I got more stories than the world trade center guardian mate, been here for 11 years around and about china, unfortunately 90% of them concern corruption and bad schools, shit, even the monkeys here rob foreign tourists eh 4th reich hehe

• 420 rocket
    August 10, 2011
    4 posts

Well as the Guardian said do not include teaching schools here but there is another forum this site has no power of propaganda over. Keep you head up Stormdrayne..............
    @ Panda try computer city would be happy free of charge to take you there tomorrow?

• bored2
    August 10, 2011
    8 posts

OMG. Jason and Mike stop writing these bullshit posts everybody knows its you guys. You really need to seek some serious help !!!!

Idiots

• ArthurTrent
    August 10, 2011
    3 posts

I wonder how many accounts these fools have signed up for between them now. It must be close approaching 50.

I must be honest. I find their posts lie somewhere between amusing and annoying. Recently they have been closer to annoying though.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.