Downhill/All Mountain Riding in Sichuan

Posted in: Forums > Travel Sichuan • 22 posts • NewestRSS

• CGlenn80
    December 8, 2011
    14 posts

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of some good all-mountain trail riding in southern Sichuan. I have been thinking about taking a 7 day trip to Xichang or Panzhihua in January in search of some big mountain technical riding. I am currently riding a 4-inch Anthem X and would really like to put it to the test. Any suggestions?

• FatFuckFrank
    December 9, 2011
    10 posts

Well there are a few people in CD who are into it, ask Mika.
    Download issue 43. http://www.chengdoo-magazine.com
    In the east of CD there is a kind of bikepark, it's near a uni, i forgot the name.

• raychung
    December 12, 2011
    5 posts

go to Tibet there are many mountains you would like on the way.

• compressor
    January 22, 2013
    9 posts

The bike park is gone... :(
    Does anyone know there is a alternative in Chengdu?

• CGlenn80
    January 22, 2013
    14 posts

Longquan mountain is the place to go. It's a little far from the city center, but if you have a whole day to spend riding there is no better alternative in Chengdu. Last year I would pay 100 rmb for someone to drive me to the Shanquan, located at the top of the first range, and I would ride down twice, up once, and back home. In my case it was a good 50-70 km day. Just make sure you pay attention on the trail. Last year I took two students, one of them ended up doing an over-ender into some trees and another took a swim in one of the small pools along the trail.

• Stephe
    January 22, 2013
    12 posts

Yeah Colin is preaching the truf, Longquan is about it near Chengdu. Thinking of heading out there this weekend if anyone wants to go. Also do you still have the number for that 100rmb shuttle? Cheaper than what I get from my usual driver.

• compressor
    January 22, 2013
    9 posts

@CGlenn80
    Hi, yeah i know the area around Longquan and Luodai very well, but i look for something closer to Chengdu.
    Till a few months a go there was a nice bike park (build by local guys) near the Sichuan Normal university, it was a perfect place to practice AM/Enduro/Freeride.

So now i wonder if there is any other place within the 4th ring road where you just can go for a few hours of fun?

Btw, do you ride AM?

• CGlenn80
    January 23, 2013
    14 posts

I've done a bit of AM. I don't know of anywhere else to go within 4th ring road. There might be a few trails around the jinjiang bike park, but I can't say for sure. I might be down to go out for a ride this weekend. I am pretty busy, but it looks like there is going to be great weather Saturday. I will let you know by tomorrow. I will also see if I can track down that number for you Stephen.

• invisible
    January 23, 2013
    1534 posts

here is the article mentioned by FFF

Extreme Gravity: downhill biking with Mika Muukkonen
    http://gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/2353/extreme_gravity_downhill_biking_with_mika_muukkonen

• Stephe
    January 23, 2013
    12 posts

Yeah that place out by Sichuan Normal was awesome. Came back from home this summer rolled out there and it was all gone! That's where those pictures of Mika are taken actually.

There is a "bike park" down near American Gardens, right next to GuoFan LeYuan 国防乐园. It is part of this "American Extreme Sports Park". Sounds like they are going to start trying to charge 100rmb per time and turn half of it into a go-kart track though. I know a guy who was working out there and he told me to just poach it after he quit his job which was a couple weeks ago.

That's my depth of mtb knowledge.

• CGlenn80
    January 24, 2013
    14 posts

Hey guys, I did a bit of exploring today. Shiling Forest Park, just outside 3rd ring road near the G76 Xiarong Expressway in the east side of the city, seems to be the best place for some XC trail riding within the 4th ring highway. There are a lot of dirt roads and some single track there with almost no people or traffic, but it definitely isn't as good as Longquan mountain. Regardless, I had a great time and really enjoyed being away from the hustle of the city. Let me know if you want to go one day.

• Stephe
    January 29, 2013
    12 posts

Hey man, I think I may have gone out to that park before last year but it was a rainy day and things were really overgrown (Spring or Summer). Would like to head back out there and see if it is the same place and see what you found. Shoot me a message about your availability. My schedule is fairly open. Also LongQuan trails are about as good as they get right now, grass is dead and super dry and loose :)

• CGlenn80
    January 29, 2013
    14 posts

I usually go out for a ride Tuesday and Thursday afternoon (3ish) and Sunday morning. I haven't been out to Longquan in a while. I really need to stop being lazy and get out there the next time we have some decent weather.

• invisible
    September 26, 2013
    1534 posts

this new downhill place in the American Extreme Sports Park looks ok. If you go during the week you may escape the 40/50 kuai entrance fee

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/3007/chengdus_american_extreme_sports_park

• jrwei
    July 10, 2014
    5 posts

There are 2-hour downhill bike rides available in Songpan. Contact: www.adventure-access.com. They would be definitely more challenging and exciting than Longquan.

• MattC
    September 1, 2014
    21 posts

Anyone know specifically where in Longquan to find some off-road trails? For Enduro motorbike.

• Ileff
    September 11, 2014
    5 posts

Anyone know a place to ride east of the city? Had a worker at a giant shop say they ride out near Dujiangyan on weekends to ride trails

• Tigerman
    September 11, 2014
    25 posts

Can you take bikes on the metro? I want to ride Longquang, but don't know a good way to get there. Metro would seem to be the most convenient way, but the Chengdu metro has crazy rules (No eating? Come on!) and wanted to check before I tried it out.

• Ileff
    September 11, 2014
    5 posts

Sorry West/Northwest** of the city!

• runninginchina
    November 12, 2014
    2 posts

I've seen a downhill track paralleling some hiking trails near LuoDai old town--the hike is concrete/stairs and from the temple down to the 'great wall' entrance/pond, it'd be a good run, but it's about as far as LongQuan and just one track. I've run 100's of km's at LongQuan on many trails--great cross-country running and if you like some obstacles and narrow/gnarly riding, it'd be a good challenge for sure. It's habitually slippery on the rocks and packed dirt, so be careful.

I'm sure you could lose yourself the first few times out there, so bring some money and or Camelbak w/food. I've run up to 37km in one go and tho I repeated trails, on a bike you wouldn't have to if you didn't mind how far you ended up riding. I've found that a decent map app (drop a pin at start) and mobile charger are helpful to find your way back, and being able to understand some thick sichuan-hua!

• Drexpressway
    June 18, 2015
    3 posts

Anyone interested in going to Longquan for camp/riding?

I have three days off starting Monday the 22nd.

Will bring my hammock and explore the trails.

• Drexpressway
    June 18, 2015
    3 posts

This is very late to reply to Ileff, but I did spy some trails to ride while making my way back to Qing Cheng Shan.

Heading out from Dujiangyan to hike up Qing Cheng Shan, you will climb on paved mountain roads for a ways until you arrive to the trailhead and parking lot of the QingCheng Shan hiking trail.

Off the side of this mountain road I saw singletrack leading back.

Not sure if these are the trails those guys were talking about but they were easily accessible from the road

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.