Vietnamese Restaurants in Chengdu?

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 24 posts • NewestRSS

• commdiver2006
    February 13, 2012
    2 posts

Are there any Vietnamese Restaurants in Chengdu?

• justinf
    February 13, 2012
    16 posts

I'm interested in finding this out too. I remember reading somewhere there was a Vietnamese restaurant in Wanda Plaza, but I have not been to check it out for authenticity or to see if it actually exists. Anyone know of any restaurants? I want some pho!

• Mike's Pizza
    February 13, 2012
    4 posts

Yes, it's on the third floor of Wanda Plaza, but off on a side alley away from all the other restaurants. Close to the Baby MBA school. Not the best pho ever, but the snacks are always fun and the Vietnamese drip coffee with condensed milk satisfies a craving.

• hapatofu
    February 13, 2012
    149 posts

is it expensive? i love the coffee with condensed milk. is that the only vietnamese place in town?

• misubi
    February 13, 2012
    28 posts

There's a vietnamese restaurant in Tongzilin on 紫荆中路 right before the road dead ends. I went there hoping for a lot...and I was charged a lot. The food was vietnamese for chinese people. No fish sauce, little herbs. It was in overpriced as most of the places there are also pricey. Not going back, but that's the best I've had so far in Chengdu.

• pepper
    February 13, 2012
    60 posts

The place in Tongzilin, did you go recently? I thought it had already closed.

• Amour
    February 14, 2012
    5 posts

Yes the place misubi said has been closed for a while. That's the only one in Tongzilin area. The restaurant in Wanda Plaza(Jinhua Wanda) on Second Ring was acceptable. They usually have real herbs like lemon grass, and the prices are reasonable. It can solve your craving for vietnam food temporarily.

• Island_Hopper
    February 15, 2012
    36 posts

Which part of Second Ring, is Wanda Plaza? Does anybody have an address? Google doesn't give me anything.

• Dragon Expeditions
    February 16, 2012
    174 posts

Wanda Plaza is here: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=2897918223430821789 (Second Ring Road East, Section Five).

I've never tried the restaurant so no comment there.

• romboy
    February 17, 2012
    1 post

Wife and me were there first time on Valentines. Nothing spectacular compared to Perth Vietnamese restaurants. No desserts like "chengdol" or "ice karchang". The fish dish came with french fries. Westernised. Fried rice was actually Thai pineapple rice. Good side!! agree, coffee drip was excellent with condensed milk. If you eat a total of RMB 150, you get back a voucher of RMB50 to be used within 2 months.

• invisible
    February 20, 2012
    1534 posts

Wanda Plaza doesn't have a single good restaurant afaik, and I bet that Vietnamese restaurant is fake (otherwise you'd heard about before as everyone is waiting for a real one).

• invisible
    July 31, 2013
    1534 posts

So been to that "Vietnamese-Taiwanese" Pho place in the global center. Food tastes nothing like Vietnamese, it's just bland Chinese stuff that makes you feel a bit depressed on the way home. Prices are outrageous for what it is (small portions), and service really bad. Also no fapiaos which is strange since it's a chain operation from Shanghai.

We should have walked out when spotting: "The Chinese Burrito" on the menu.

• invisible
    June 4, 2015
    1534 posts

Also bad: Lime Garden at Taikooli - after queuing for 30 min I was told that they didn't have the Vietnamese spring rolls the very dish which i wanted to order. The food has little to do with authentic Vietnamese - it's basically another Chengdu Thai hotpot in disguise and not surprising their head chef is Thai - but even the Thai dishes are a pretty sad affair.

I haven't been brave enough to try the "Little Vietnam" in Tongzilin yet.

• livinginchengdoo
    June 5, 2015
    6 posts

My two cents on Nha Trang on the 5th floor of the IFS mall, I went there twice:

First time: ordered a shrimp summer roll, somehow they managed to divide a single, tiny shrimp into six pieces, one for each piece of the summer roll.

Second time: ordered a Vietnamese baguette sandwich, waited 25 minutes for it; it was the saddest sandwich that I have eaten in a long time (even by China standards), two paper thin slivers of meat in a segment of regular (non-Vietnamese style) French baguette. RMB 34 + 5 cover charge for the priviledge.

Conclusion: won't be going there again.

• invisible
    July 2, 2015
    1534 posts

I've heard that the one in Tongzilin isn't worth the effort either.

• ziich
    September 9, 2015
    14 posts

I've been to a few of the places mentioned so far and confirm that they are all crap. With a Vietnamese mother, and having grown up on Vietnamese food, I'm picky about my pho.

I actually made a trip to Saigon last month just to finally get some real pho after 4 years of living in China. Then I stumbled upon a real gem in Lan Kwai Fong right next to the Shangrila Hotel.

Authentic tasting Pho with a good assortment of meats including the chewy bits (a little pricey at 49 RMB)
    OK spring rolls (they're rolled too loosely, but decently filled and comes with a sweet hoisin sauce)
    Vietnamese iced coffee (with condensed milk)
    Good Bun Thit Nuong (dry noodles with fried egg rolls and fish sauce)

It's a little expensive, but the best option for Vietnamese in Chengdu so far, so I think it's worth it. There were also other interesting things on the menu like Singaporean Laksa that I might try some time.

I forgot the name but I think it's near the hooters and across from a nice coffee shop. I think it was Hui Coffee.

• invisible
    September 22, 2015
    1534 posts

ziich

It's opposite Mooney's at Shuijingfang. Yeah it lookws okish, but not tempting enough, but I may take your word and take the risk. Soon TM

• web_7788
    October 2, 2015
    9 posts

That place Ziich is talking about is called 华越楼 HuaYueLou and it's in the new 水井界 ShuiJingJie area which is next to Lan Kwai Fong.

It's right next to the Shangri-la and Mooneys.

Some people think it's all LKF but that new development is so much better than crappy LKF.

(Off topic, what a waste of money for that waste of space street!!).

Chengdu doesn't have many Vietnamese restaurants, so it's perhaps not saying much that I think that's the best one I've come across!

But really, it's not bad at all and I've been to Vietnam and generally like to eat Vietnamese food whenever I can find it.

They have pretty decent lunch set menu, 48 Kuai for various things.

I like their Vermicelli salad with BBQ Beef!

• web_7788
    October 2, 2015
    9 posts

I can also second what livinginchengdoo said about Nha Trang.

I tried it once and the only thing I can remember about it now is that I promised myself never to go back!

I think it was overpriced and not authentic.

• invisible
    October 29, 2015
    1534 posts

That place was empty for dinner which should have been a dead giveaway.

The service was not worth mentioning, the seating a bit odd, although it was almost empty orders took a while. What amazed me is how one could sell Vietnamese food without using any herbs? The meat was also "weird" with a bit of long lasting nasty after taste. My favorite disappointment was the noodle soup, which took the longest and believe it or not the Angel Hair was undercooked, it was like eating dry fangbianmian!

Just another fail.

• kokoroguz
    December 1, 2016
    5 posts

Good new, i have found new Vietnamese restaurant in Chengdu. Its in 交桂路89号付21 - 西龚先生

Name of Restaurant is Mr Saigon, Boss and Chef are Local Vietnamese. The Phở taste so great - original flavour. Could say the best Phở i have taste in Chengdu so far.
    Price reasonable as well - However their menu quite Simple. As my conversation with the Boss - he's will update Slowly the menu. He's waiting feedback from Chinese customer.
    Nevertheless, all the food is Good Authentic. Must try

• invisible
    December 2, 2016
    1534 posts

@kokoroguz

That's the place in the north near the Jiaotong Uni? Do they have fresh spring rolls?

• kokoroguz
    December 3, 2016
    5 posts

@invisible
    they have also - you can add their Wechat 13036680080. I've been there several times. Food's good must try

• kokoroguz
    December 3, 2016
    5 posts

The location near 凯德广场 and Jiaotong Uni as you mentioned.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.