Eating free in Chengdu

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 23 posts • NewestRSS

• eric9910
    March 14, 2012
    1 post

Can anyone tell me more about a flyer I got today, All Eat Free. It said that we can eat free in Chengdu every dinner Monday to Friday. I've been to their website www.alleatfree.biz but details are sketchy. I've signed up to their newsletter as more details will be released over the next few weeks. I'm keen to know more now if anyone knows?????

• SadeqAmeenAbed
    March 14, 2012
    19 posts

if i had to guess I think this is scam to collect email addresses to sell them to advertisements...this is serious business and people fall for it, that's why you get tons of spam mail with totally useless ads...i say for anyone who didn't sign up for the newsletter not to instead if you think there might be some truth to this then check their website from time to time

• ynwa2001
    March 14, 2012
    14 posts

I have to agree. I signed up a few days ago when I saw the ad and ever since have been bombarded with junk mail. I reglarly wake up to 10-15 junk emails when before I didnt receive any. Stay away from it!!

• alleatfree
    March 18, 2012
    3 posts

Hi all,

Thank you for these posts. I'm at representative of All Eat Free and I can absolutely assure you that this is not a scam. The current website and collation of email addresses for our newsletter is part of our marketing strategy. As we are new in this city, we want to establish the All Eat Free concept as widely and quickly as possible. The website, flyers and newsletter subscription are the most effective way to do this.

@ Sadeq: this is not a scam and no email addresses or any other contact details will be sold or otherwise passed on to any third-party. Indeed, we are very sensitive about this and that is why we have not asked for any other details that are often associated with these kind of campaigns such as gender, occupation and address. We have kept our information gathering to the absolute minimum. Moreover, we have used the services of the most respected and secure email distribution company, MailChimp. This company operates robust checks and balances to ensure that no user of its services it generating spam of any description.

@ynwa2001: I am sorry to hear about you receiving junk email. I can absolutely assure you that it has nothing to do with you signing up for our newsletter. Indeed, we have even gone as far as checking for your chengdoo username in our own database but we cannot find any details of your subscription. Of course, you maybe using a completely different username and if you want to privately message me your email address, I will be more than happy investigate further. I should also add that I have used two of my private email to subscribe to the All Eat Free newsletter and colleagues and a couple of friends have done the same. None of us have experienced any spam or junk email as a consequence.

We have had a large response to our All Eat Free marketing campaign and we will be moving into phase two very shorty where, via the newsletter, we will release further details of the All Eat Free offer. I can, however, officially state here (for the first time) that our service will be launched in April and dinner will be FREE everyday, Monday to Friday (5pm - 8.30pm) for all newsletter subscribers.

I hope that I have allayed some doubts as to the validity of All Eat Free.

Many thanks,

All Eat Free representative
    http://alleatfree.biz

• ynwa2001
    March 18, 2012
    14 posts

Hi,

I appreciate you getting back to me. It just seemed a coincidence that after signing up then I started to receive junk mail like never before. Maybe it was something else I used on the Internet. Apologies if i stained your reputation hahaha I will wait for phase 2 and see what kind of things you can offer.

Ian

• alleatfree
    April 12, 2012
    3 posts

All Eat FREE will be launched in Chengdu on Monday 16th April.

The venue will be announced over the weekend but we can tell you the dishes (normally 45rmb) will be FREE on their respective day between 5pm-8.30pm:

Monday: Chili-Con-Carne

Tuesday: Pork Casserole

Wednesday: Chicken Curry

Thursday: Cottage Pie

Friday: Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas

All dishes are served with chips/fries or rice.

http://alleatfree.biz

• turkeylegs
    April 12, 2012
    11 posts

Will there be a vegetarian option available?

• turkeylegs
    April 16, 2012
    11 posts

Nevermind. A minimum of 60kuai to be eligible...knew it was too good to be true.

• SadeqAmeenAbed
    April 16, 2012
    19 posts

hahaha I knew there was something hidden, anyways I never signed up for the service and now it turned out it is not free after all lol

• justinf
    April 16, 2012
    16 posts

So, what? You have to pay 60 kuai for free dinner?

• alleatfree
    April 16, 2012
    3 posts

Hi all,

Yes, the newsletter has been delivered complete with full details of Eat FREE. The dinner is absolutely free. Each dish is normally 45rmb. On their respective day (for example, Monday, Chili-Con-Carne), you pay nothing for the food. The only condition is that you spend a minimum of 60rmb on drinks. So, for example, you can drink 4 beers and have a substantial Western meal for 60rmb.

The Underground Bar and Restaurant sells over 20 imported beers starting from 15rmb. These prices have not changed. The meal is a FREE addition. A great deal.

Bon appetit and cheers! :-)

• SadeqAmeenAbed
    April 16, 2012
    19 posts

it's kind of sneaky to advertise food being absolutely for free then come back later and say well it is for free BUT and this is a big BUT you have to buy minimal of 60 kuai of drinks...if you think about it the food isn't free. what if I don't want to drink? then I will have to buy drinks anyways to get the food or else there is no food...I personally think it is a nice thing getting a meal for free if I get drinks but that should have been your ad not get free food

Respect :)

• ynwa2001
    April 16, 2012
    14 posts

Fully agree with you SadeqAmeenAbed. I think its a complete joke and no real value or convenience either. If my girlfriend and I were to go there then we need to buy 8 drinks just to get 2 free meals. Thanks but No thanks. I much prefer to go to a restaurant of my choice and spend the 120rmb in a way that I wish.

Good luck with your promo.

• 老子
    April 16, 2012
    5 posts

Well... the website does say: "What do you have you have to do? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" when it should say "What do you have you have to do? Pay more for drinks that you would ever pay for the regular price of dinner".

How would you like someone to advertise free computers, except your have to spend 33.33% MORE than the actual cost of the computer in software you don't want?

Welcome! we have free LED TV's for everybody! you just have to buy a house to get it!

If you are planning an "awesome marketing campaign" and bulding up expectancy for it, just make sure it doesn't backfire next time buddy...

• sweetname
    April 16, 2012
    4 posts

Not exactly surprised that the "eat free" scheme isn't actually free at all! Why not just put that you have to spend 60 kuai on the website so people know what they're signing up for? For some people that might not be a terrible deal, but hiding the information screams scam. I would be pissed if I went out of my way to one of these places just to find out I have to spend more on drinks than the meal is worth. I do not understand this marketing strategy. Even if you fooled someone into going by them not having all the information, they probably would be annoyed and wouldn't come back. Dumb.

• Lupat
    April 17, 2012
    1 post

Come on people... what business exists to purely give away free food? If it's too good to be true, it probably is. You need to give the All Eat Free guys some credit though because it's is a very creative marketing concept ... even if it is a bit misleading.

• Aireline
    April 17, 2012
    106 posts

You guys never heard the phrase "there's no such thing as a free lunch", have you?

• ggggg
    April 17, 2012
    19 posts

look at it in a positive way: go there if you want to get 3-4 bottles of imported beer and you will get an extra dinner. don't go there if you want to have a free dinner.

• 老子
    April 17, 2012
    5 posts

Nobody asked these people for free food。 We don't need it。 The point here is。。。they're using lies to advertise their place and this instead of attracting people is making them not want to go there。 We're just saying their advertisement is deceiving and stupid, that's it。

Plus,in this city as a foreigner you actually get free meals and drinks sometimes when they open up restaurants or clubs and you get paid for going there so chinese people see that there's foreigners in that place and make them think it's a "cool" place to hang out... not that we need them, just FYI.

Offering free stuff that is not free is not creative, is a scam, unless you tell people what they actually have to buy or do to get it.

On the other hand, to show my appreciation to these marketing geniuses, here I have a different offer for you: if you want to pet a puppy for free, I've got one in the back of a van, and some candy if you're lucky enough ;)

• fyen18
    April 20, 2012
    22 posts

I guess some of you fell asleep during your economics class, "there is no such thing as a free lunch" silly rabbit.

• Skoemt
    April 20, 2012
    1 post

Eating free with 60RMB beer. What a strange promo.

• Xxxxx
    April 27, 2012
    15 posts

I don't see a problem with this deal. In fact, I think it's quite good.

Firstly, no self respecting adult goes to a bar and has ONE drink. And even if you just have 2 cheap beers there, you still come away with an incredibly cheap home cooked western meal.

I ate there yesterday and had the Shepherd's pie which was made by a Western cook.. think the English boss, and was excellent. Highly recommended.

• Sucka-Free
    April 27, 2012
    12 posts

Firstly, nobody short of a full-blown alcoholic dictates how many drinks anyone else must have at a bar to be deemed "self-respecting." Secondly, I've heard all the clichés that are mentioned, here, but it seems that too many people have never heard the phrase, "false advertising." Others have done more than heard of it...they've implemented it.

Nobody who received the original information had requested it—in fact, nobody had asked to be contacted, at all. Now that we have been, though, offering us free meals, without or without drink purchases, is the least that the Underground could do to compensate for the waste of our time that this mis-marketing campaign represents.

Even if this happens, I won't return lest the bartender, again, knowingly present me with another person's weeks-old bar tab (the bartender admitted as much), in front of onlookers who no doubt assumed that the bill was mine. It's clear why the Underground remains so "underground" that only outright lies can bring it any hope of sales.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.