Milk/cheese/dairy products

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 6 posts • NewestRSS

• Laurel
    May 8, 2012
    51 posts

American family moving to Chengdu wondering if it is difficult/expensive to get dairy products. We heard that most people drink soy milk, which is okay, but we would like to have dairy options if they are available.

• Monster
    May 10, 2012
    8 posts

Don't worry. There is dairy products available in supermarkets from milk to cheese. Just the options arent as many.

• ggggg
    May 10, 2012
    19 posts

you can also buy imported milk in some places, it might be a better option since the Chinese dairy industry is full of scandals...

• Laurel
    May 16, 2012
    51 posts

Thank you for letting me know. We are looking forward to moving to Chengdu!!!

• Mike27
    May 16, 2012
    9 posts

You can also buy imported milk online. Here is a link for "Organic Valley Whole Milk": http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=13019459399

• fyen18
    May 20, 2012
    22 posts

I do not recommend anybody to drink milk that comes from a carton or plastic bottle since most of them are pasteurized or homogenized like in the US, meaning that the milk was boiled and then passed through a high pressure filter to remove all "bacteria". Problem is that most bacteria in milk is good for our body, and the small portion of bad bacteria does little effect to us provided your immune system is not too weak. So after they remove all the good stuff from the raw milk, they add vitamins to the finished product, but these vitamins are not in a natural form that can be absorbed by our bodies. Hence, you might as well not drink milk at all cause all these artificial "vitamins" and other minerals such as "calcium" in homogenized milk will simply pass right through your body because they are not chelated.

What you need is raw milk, though you should do your own research before drinking this since there are still some risks, albeit miniscule when compared to homogenized milk. I personally drink it raw here in Chengdu and have had no problems whatsoever. The people here still like to boil their raw milk out of tradition (the farmer selling me the milk cannot believe I drink it raw), which will probably remove 50% of its nutrients and kill all the good bacteria that your digestive system needs, but still, it is much better than milk sold in the supermarkets.

Raw milk is available in Chengdu even though its sale is illegal in many states back in the US, gee I wonder why. Usually the farmer will drive around in a electric scooter with two vats of raw milk on the back and deliver it to certain spots around the city, most of these spots are in the entrances of older apartment complexes, the little office/bedroom where the guard sits/lives. They use stainless steel containers but many feed their cows grain instead of all grass which is not good. Hence, if you find a farmer that feeds their cow all grass then you've hit a jackpot.

Raw milk cures most allergies, builds up your immune system, regulates your digestive system and much more. Do your own research though. But please, don't drink the milk sold in supermarkets!

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.