Talking to locals about how you illegally access certain websites?

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 12 posts • NewestRSS

• Mandible
    August 8, 2012
    20 posts

In regards to Facebook and Youtube

Do... you tell people you use these sites?

Or do people 'judge you' for 'COMIN TO CHINA 'N BREAKIN' THE LAW!"

• markk
    August 8, 2012
    2 posts

as a western visiter to any country..i try to do what the locals do..to a certain degree but not all the way.. they are local you are not, the authorities in any country will set an example if you overstep the line drawn for visitors.. must respect what you can and cant get away with..

• Mandible
    August 8, 2012
    20 posts

Yes, I understand, but you didn't address my question. I assume most foreigners who stay in China for a long time gain access to youtube or facebook illegally - my question is how do you feel about telling people that, and how well do you think you must know someone before telling them?

• German_Mike
    August 9, 2012
    6 posts

A lot of Chinese also want access to Facebook and YouTube. All the young kids do.

Don't be afraid, everyone does it.

• Laurel
    August 11, 2012
    51 posts

I believe most people set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN). You subscribe to it and then you are able to access FB and such. I believe it operates like a proxy server, but you can google it for more info.

• hapatofu
    August 12, 2012
    149 posts

I don't think anybody's gonna be surprised if you say you get on those sites.

• Dragon Expeditions
    August 12, 2012
    174 posts

I attended a Chinese programming conference six months or so back with several speakers from various companies. Every single PowerPoint slide deck included the speaker's twitter account.

A huge number of my Chinese friends and colleagues use Facebook.

There are LOTS of regulations on providing content on the Internet, or related to providing Internet access to others, but nowhere have I seen anything that suggests it's illegal to use a proxy or vpn to access blocked websites. Talking about how to do so may perhaps be so though.

• ps_striker
    August 22, 2012
    8 posts

buy a VPN. the prices vary but it is not illegal. it assigns you a american (or a country you choose) IP address, so not only can you access youtube, twitter, and facebook, you can also access region specific content like netflix.

cheers,

daniel

• invisible
    December 14, 2012
    1525 posts

Foreign-run VPNs illegal in China: govt

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/750158.shtml

• merior
    December 14, 2012
    70 posts

It seems to me that the globaltimes article does not claim that it is illegal to use a foreign run VPN company based outside of China. It merely claims that it is not legal for a foreigner to set up a VPN company in China.

Perhaps you are correct but I don't think so.

• foxlinkinc
    December 17, 2012
    3 posts

Re: Invisible's comment, 'foreign' run VPN's are frowned upon so why not use a homegrown one?? I found one called Freegate, actually developed here in China, worls perfectly well on any equipment not made in China and has the advantages of being free and can be run from a USB stick instead of installing onto your PC.

• dida00
    March 19, 2017
    2 posts

Facebook and YouTube are the best social sites you can use but as it is blocked in China, you need to use VPN service to bypass blocking and use web freely with high quality. Try it now https://www.bridgevpn.com/en/smoketunnel/ it works well with me.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.