hustling while studying?

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 3 posts • NewestRSS

• madjex
    September 7, 2012
    2 posts

hi everyone!

i'm going to learn mandarin at SWUFE next year, looking to stay there for 1-2 years and i was wondering if i could get a job there? cuz money ain't falling off the sky and i'm too old to ask for my parents money... for the first 6 months i'll be focusing in school.

i'm currently living in nyc. i'm thai(big fan of spicy food) not white and english is my second language so teaching english is out of the question(or can i?) i'm a graphic designer. i've been tending bar for almost 3 years(this job is my main income) and also a dj. do you think i can get a bartending job or any other job? i dont know much mandarin either. any suggestions for job?

cheers

• mizuiro
    September 7, 2012
    19 posts

You could get a bartending job but you might not be paid much. At the bar I used to work at, the Thai bartender was paid the same as the Chinese staff whereas the Africans and Caucasians made significantly more. A Chinese bartender makes nowhere near the amount a NYC bartender does. As a DJ, you would definitely make more. Also, students are not allowed to work at entertainment venues so if the school or police ever found out, that would give you a lot of headache. Don't forget you also need to be in class by 9am the next morning.

As far as teaching English goes, that would have to rely on your luck. If you speak in a standard American accent, you have a better chance but it's still, sadly, limited because of your appearance. At the places I used to work at, American-born Chinese were often turned down for teaching jobs because they "didn't look like they could speak English". I had an African American friend and a Persian friend who grew up in America and both had trouble finding teaching jobs despite English being their first language. After some self-advertising online, they found some private students they could home tutor.

Have you thought of teaching Thai? The market might not be as big as the one for English, but there must be students interested in studying.

Also a note that not everyone follows but you should still be aware of - students aren't legally allowed to work over 15 hours at a business and first have to be given permission to work at all by the school. This doesn't include private tutoring, which you don't need permission for.

Also, look into grants from the Thai government. It seems like a lot of the Thai students I've met have scholarships.

• madjex
    September 7, 2012
    2 posts

hi mizuiro,
    thank you for all the answers!

too bad i wasn't born white lol... i went to thai school until 6th grade then international school in high school and again thai collage. my thai is not even that good. i have an american accent though. i doubt that my government will grant a scholarship for a 34 year old dude. oh well thanks again.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.