Sichuan University

Posted in: Forums > Study • 7 posts • NewestRSS

• Eugen
    September 22, 2012
    6 posts

Hello everyone. I was wondering if here are some people who know about Sichuan University? I want to get my undergraduate degree in China and I'm really considering going into Sichuan University.

Is the level of education good there? And is it possible to work part time while in university?

• simark
    September 22, 2012
    4 posts

Hi Eugen,

I've heard mixed things about sichuan university's Chinese program. As with all large class settings, it has its draw-backs, I'm sure. I'm a grad student at Chuan Da right now, and it seems to be ok. I know that the foreign languages deaprtment there seems to offer a wide range of classes and they seem to be pretty good.

Let me explain the pros and cons of studying at Chuan Da (or any such language school in China)

Pro: You are really in the target language environment, so you have lots of opportunities to talk to the people, which is the only real way to learn.

Con: They'll segregate you into a foreigner-only school, so it's easy to avoid contact with other Chinese students.

Con: At the university, you'll be taught in Mandarin. On the streets, everyone speaks Sichuanhua, which is a very distant counsin of Mandarin, and people might not always be willing to switch into Mandarin for your sake.

Pro: Chinese people will probably immediately take a liking to you

Con: This relationship might be a little more for their own benefit, and all this affection might not necessarily be educational. The people will probably always keep you at some distance, and you will never be accepted into their society.

Pro: Small class sizes, especially at the more advanced stages, which means that you'll get more time and attention from your teachers.

Con: As with all teachers, there are good ones and bad ones, and the bad ones don't necessarily get weeded out.

And yes, you can absolutely work while studying.

Pro: There's lots of work to be done and lots of money to be made if you are interested in teaching English. It will also be part-time work, so you can reserve lots of time for studying.

Con: The pit-falls of teaching English in China. There are so many bad schools and bad job opportunities where you will be the "foreign-ape," just there to give the school face or hold up the charade that they are "innovative" and "internalitionalised." You have to be really careful and really picky when choosing employment.

Hope that's helped!

• invisible
    September 25, 2012
    1534 posts

@Eugen

>Is the level of education good there?

Not a big Chuandafan myself for reasons I mentioned in previous threads, and at least 95% that sign up for the grad program never finish

http://gochengdoo.com/en/forums/thread/5545/anyone_at_sichuan_university

But there is a small extremely intelligent/ persistent minority of students that make it, two interviews with SCU grads and how they felt about it

http://gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/2752/the_long_and_winding_road_to_chineselanguage_proficiency_part_1_olga

http://gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/2775/the_long_and_winding_road_to_chineselanguage_proficiency_part_2_ryan

>And is it possible to work part time while in university?

Yes. It is, but you need a permission from the Uni administration, hours are limited and also the kind of work (no entertainment). But how it's handled in reality is different matter.

• Eugen
    September 26, 2012
    6 posts

@Invisible

Are you serious with that 95% thing or just kidding? I'm not a native speaker of English so my sarcasm detectors aren't that good. If most of the people quit the program before finishing then the program must be horribly difficult.

Oh well I guess I'll just go study in Scotland or something. Maybe studying only Chinese will not give too great career prospects.

• invisible
    September 26, 2012
    1534 posts

@eugen

Yes I'm serious. That's my estimate based on how many enter the program and how many stay the 3.5+ years and pass all the tests incl. hsk and write and defend a thesis at the end.

• Judewise
    September 16, 2013
    3 posts

I need admission for a degree course to study international economics and trade or economics in a good chinese university

• lionel
    November 7, 2013
    3 posts

i want to know about software engineering in sichuan university.can someone please help me know about it

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.