Wisdom Tooth Pain

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 12 posts • NewestRSS

• 孔慕凯
    October 9, 2012
    14 posts

Well my wisdom tooth is coming in. I did not think it was going to be a problem this soon. If I remember correctly it is coming in horizontally and already I can see is coming out the side of my mouth. (top left)
    Anyone had theirs removed in China? I really wouldn't want to go back to America just for removal. Suggestions are much needed.

• iraglassismyhero
    October 10, 2012
    99 posts

without going into the LONG and PAINFUL ordeal that i went through having mine out at huaxi dental hospital (which is the only place that does it, or does it reliably, as i understand), allow me to give you the one piece of invaluable advice i came away with from the experience: BRING YOUR OWN DRUGS.

• mizuiro
    October 10, 2012
    19 posts

The most ridiculous stories I've ever heard in my life are about friends and wisdom teeth in Chengdu. Unfortunately I don't know what dentists they went to, so I can't be of much help for what places to stay away from.

My first recommendation, which seems to be the general consensus of everyone I've spoken to, seems to be to go back home.

My second recommendation: Unless you have insurance, dental work is ridiculous in America. How about flying over to South Korea? A direct flight from Chengdu to Seoul is about 3 hours and less than 2000rmb round trip. That already beats the cost of the ticket to go back home. Hotels are expensive, but you can find apartments for daily or weekly rentals that are reasonably priced on sites like wimdu.com.

• invisible
    October 10, 2012
    1534 posts

yeah because nobody in china ever has that problem, only laowai.

there are enough good dentists in town, chinese dentists that studied abroad and speak english as well as foreigners.

http://gochengdoo.com/en/forums/thread/5307/best_dentist_in_town

• Dragon Expeditions
    October 10, 2012
    174 posts

despite @iraglass' experience (who is officially a wuss!), I was really impressed by the service at Huaxi. Can't say that it was exactly pain free, but what do you expect from a guy taking a hammer and pliers to your jaw?

I had a bit of other dental work done there as well which was also pretty good, and have had a few friends who've had considerable dental work done there — certainly a lot better than would have been done in the UK and at a fraction of the price.

• iraglassismyhero
    October 11, 2012
    99 posts

for the record, i never said they did a bad job. one of the surgeons who worked on my case had even studied in the US. but 'pain management' does not seem to exist at all, no matter how much i begged for it.

• Dragon Expeditions
    October 11, 2012
    174 posts

Like I said, wuss ;)

I had a large injection of local anaesthetic that was topped up while they worked on it. Didn't stop the pain further down my jaw when they were hammering at it — though that was nothing like as bad as when the anaesthetic wore off before the analgesics kicked in...

• Laurel
    October 13, 2012
    51 posts

Thank you, mizuiro, for posting about wimdu.com! What a great travel resource!

• Steadyeddie
    October 17, 2012
    2 posts

I went to Gentle Dental for my wisdom tooth. It cost me 800RMB and was pain free. I had a day on the sofa but was fine after that.

• thurm
    November 11, 2013
    1 post

one of my friends went to Aurora Dental in Chengdu for her wisdom tooth and it's almost pain free, fortunately they didn't use hammer and my friend didn't even realize when her second wisdom teeth is pulled up...

• erycca
    November 14, 2013
    8 posts

Another option is Dr. Peter Torres (a foreigner) at Yafei Dental Clinic and been there for four years now. Really nice dentist who can explain to you everything about your dental problem and procedure of treatment. Wisdom tooth extraction is one of his expertise. You can directly call him at 15208383972. You can also check other options in this thread: http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/forums/thread/5307/best_dentist_in_town
    Hope that helps.

• erycca
    November 14, 2013
    8 posts

http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/forums/thread/5307/best_dentist_in_town

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.