Christmas Dinner Review

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 12 posts • NewestRSS

• Aireline
    December 29, 2012
    106 posts

I'm interested to know, for those of you who ate out on christmas day, what did you think of your meal?

I went to Shangri La last year and thought it was pretty good, but this year I ended up opting for Kempinski's at 388 rmb aaand I've gotta say, I was massively disappointed. I'd gone to Kempinski's due to lots of good feedback from friends so I had pretty high expectations, but considering it was meant to be a christmas dinner buffet, the lack of stuffing, cranberry sauce, bacon wrapped chipolatas...actually any of the usual trimmings weren't there! It seemed in some ways it was a slight chinese interpretation of a christmas buffet. Like as long as there is a lot of food, it's ok, but not really having the experience to know what people were looking for (kinda like this: http://gochengdoo.com/en/classifieds/item/28038/christmas_buffet_only_60rmb)

The beef curry was pretty good and I enjoyed the deserts, but the place as a whole just didn't feel night (that could be my lack of christmas pudding talking). Maybe it was the tiny glasses of wine which meant you had to keep going for a refill, or the wailing girl doing ktv, I dunno. Wouldn't recommend it for christmas, too expensive for nothing special.

So,
    Where did you go?
    What did you pay?
    What did they have?
    Would you go again?

I heard good stuff about the Crown Plaza, anyone want to fill me in?

This isn't some sort of marketing thing, I'm just (believe it or not), planning for next year...

• whatnot
    January 4, 2013
    2 posts

I went to Leanna's Bakery. Total total mistake! Made reservations the day before as I thought it would be really crowded with a big feed. The place was empty with skeleton staff and...LEFTOVERS!!! Charged the usual price though. At lunch time no less. And they said if we wanted turkey we would need to wait til 3 as it was still cooking. I dont fault the owner for taking off Christmas Day, but I do fault them for telling the workers, who would obviously rather be off, to work instead. Why does it take 30 minutes to even get a cup of coffee? It was embarrassing for me as I took guests there and once there, what could be done? A total disaster and I advise against it, as much as I have supported them in the past.

• hapatofu
    January 4, 2013
    149 posts

I stayed at home and ate what I wanted in front of my computer, where I could watch/read/listen to whatever I wanted. Much cheaper too.

Oh, the night before I went to a friend's potluck which was also nice. Good food and company and without the several-hundred-kuai bill.

• Leanna's
    January 6, 2013
    2 posts

On behalf of Leanna's Bakery we want to apologize to Whatnot and the other guests who received poor service and food on Christmas Day. We would like to offer you a refund on your Christmas Dinner, please contact us at dave@leannasbakery.com, state your name and the time you were there.

We know that our service hasn't always been as good as we would like. We are in process of making changes and are determined to do better in the coming year.

Our goal is to provide high quality product and service. If you feel you did not receive that, please contact us at the above address.

• bobba fett
    January 7, 2013
    1 post

Guys. Give Leana's a break. David and Leana are good people, friendly as they get. Don't know what happened on that Christmas but any other time I went I got a really good and friendly treatment. And the fact they go and publicly apologize and offer refund is also admirable.
    Not to mention they make the best bread and cakes in town!

I myself went with my wife to The Spot's Christmas dinner. It wasn't cheap, 400 for a couple, but it was worth it. Every dish was really awsome. Fresh focaccias. Truffles, Seafood, Ossobuco, grilled meat, tiramisu, white chocolate mousse and Ice cream. It wasn't the classic Christmas food like Aireline mentioned, but it was one of the best meals I had in Chengdu.

• mowgli
    January 7, 2013
    20 posts

Personally I have nothing but good things to say about Leana's. Great food and really good service both in house and delivery. We ended up going to the Crowne Plaza downtown, excellent food on buffet and pretty reasonable too at 188 pp. Anyone try the Kempinski? Heard they do a good job too :)

• Aireline
    January 8, 2013
    106 posts

@Mowgli - My first post was about Kempinski's.
    I had friends at the Crowne Plaza who said it was great, was a bit gutted I didn't join them.

I've never been to Leana's Bakery, however I had christmas dinner at a friend's on christmas eve and the stuffing they brought from Leana's was possibly the highlight of my christmas dining experience. I'm not even kidding, that stuffing was amazing.

• merior
    January 9, 2013
    70 posts

For the first year ever in Chengdu work commitments meant abandoning the ritual of cooking a turkey and having to dig out the musty wallet and book a restaurant.

We also chose Kempinski's and, like you, were disappointed – I hope they are reading this! There was the promise of festivities with the pretty Chinese girls in their very short Christmas costumes singing (surprisingly well) in the foyer but once we got upstairs to the restaurant the atmosphere was lost. The Chef insisted on frying the salmon but did return with some uncooked salmon and soy sauce. The turkey was carved wafer thin and enough to fill a matchbox was considered a portion. That said, there was no shortage of food - good food (Chinese of course) - it was just the turkey that was rationed. The jazz band was a bit short on the 'jazz'.

As buffets go it was OK but very short of festive fare and that is unacceptable in somewhere classed as 5 star. I would be more hopeful of finding sprouts, mince pies and Christmas Pud with brandy sauce at the Crown Plaza from past experience of eating there. But next year I will once again dig out my apron and consign a turkey to the oven and spend all day slaving for a bunch of bemused Chinese friends while my wife insists on barbecuing some fiery hot Chinese ribs (along with lots of other non Christmas food) "in case our guests go hungry". Perhaps I should order the sprouts and mince pies now to be on the safe side if I can still remember what they taste like.

• merior
    January 9, 2013
    70 posts

To Leanna's - I can handle the turkey but it would be nice if somewhere in Chengdu stocked seasonal fare such as Christmas Pudding, Mince Pies etc. How about it?

• whatnot
    January 10, 2013
    2 posts

My post was only about Christmas dinner. I know they are good people but that wasn't the topic. My post is only about that day and that meal.

• Leanna's
    December 17, 2013
    2 posts

thank you to those who stuck up for us, aplogies again for those who experienced our restaurant last year, christmas day. That day, we made a mistake, but we have learned from it! This christmas we, the owners, will be present! (taking our family day on the 26th). We have our delicious traditional meal (Y138) offered along with steak and shrimp meal (Y188) and lamb steak (Y178) all of them a three course meal with salad, roll, main, beverage and dessert. If you want wine along with it, we have specials on that as well. Our new restaurant at Suning plaza is set up to make you feel at home with living, dining and garden areas for seating. And if you have doubts about trying us out, ask those who ate there for Thanksgiving, I believe everyone was very pleased. From our house to yours, we wish you all a wonderful Christmas!

To merior: I'm just now seeing your post, and tis a little late in the season, but I shall consider it for next year. We do have fruitcake...

• thyme
    December 30, 2013
    2 posts

We went to Sheraton this year. We considered the price (488 Kuai) quite reasonable. Western food (turkey etc.), Chinese food, barbecue (fish etc.) as well as sushi and salads were included. Plus there was a huge variety of desserts like fresh fruits, cakes, Christmas cookies, ice cream etc.
    As to drinks, softdrinks, beer (Snow / 雪花) and real (!) orange juice were included. We were absolutely pleased with the food. It was just the show we did not really like. It was very Chinese, which means loud, and not very Christmassy or festive. There were no Christmas carols at all. Instead they had ladies in belly t-shirts both dancing and playing electric violins. Plus there was a laser show.

They had a lottery drawing as well. Once there were no prices left anymore the presenter sad "Xiexie! Baibai!" and everybody suddenly left, even though it was 21.15 and the event was supposed to finish at 22.00. The staff immedeately started to remove the stage etc. so we felt really uncomfortable and as if they wanted to get rid of us.

Don't worry too much about the dress code when you go there. Most ladies came with cheap colorful plastic-coats and almost everybody wore jumpers and stuff.
    If you book early, you might get tickets for 388. They include all the food and drinks mentionned above, but you can't see the stage. If you would like to book, call Sheraton hotel if the ticket sale already started and then stop by to book the tickets. There has been a desk in the lobby with young girls in Christmas clothes selling the tickets.

To make a long story short: The food was awesome, just the show was too loud and was lacking in Christmas feeling.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.