Converting L visa to residence permit

Posted in: Forums > Study • 7 posts • NewestRSS

• meccha
    January 13, 2013
    3 posts

Hi, I am about to study abroad in Chengdu. Normally, I would just apply for a F visa here in New York. But I am visiting China and Hong Kong before my semester begins so it's ideal for me to get a tourist visa. My question is am I able to get a residence permit with a L visa once I get to Chengdu? I do have JW 202 form with me.

• merior
    January 13, 2013
    70 posts

I came here on an 'L' visa. I qualify for residency and did not have to leave China to apply for it but rules and regulations seem to change annually so, if you arrive on a tourist 'L' visa then check in with the PSB in Tianfu Square (Renmin East Road) as soon as you arrive and see what they say. You will need to have a medical at their appointed hospital in Tonzalin North Road to apply and provide appropriate evidence to justify your residency. If you have a residence permit then you do not need a visa and you can come and leave China as you choose.

• meccha
    January 13, 2013
    3 posts

How much did it cost you to get the residence permit?

Side question: does anyone know if the consulates in the U.S. give 12 months, multiple entries F-visa to first timer even though my study is only for under 6 months? I have gotten two L visas in the past 2 years if that makes a difference.

• merior
    January 13, 2013
    70 posts

I believe that the cost of permits, as with visas, varies according to your nationality (how much your government charges affects the rate). Expect to pay between 600 to 1000 RMB to cover the cost of the permit plus your medical.

• grego
    March 1, 2013
    1 post

I changed my visa L to resident permit last september without any problem.
    Just need the papers of your university, and the police registration paper

By the way you don't need the physical examination to get the resident permit (if you stay only one semester).

The cost for the resident permit for 6 months is 400 RMB (doesn't matter the nationality, i think), the price changes only for the visa abroad.

• chrisflan
    February 3, 2015
    3 posts

hi Folks

I am in almost the same situation as the original poster (have an L visa, am accepted to MinDa for this semester) and I would also like to simply arrive in town, register for

classes and then obtain my residence permit. Am hoping this is still obtainable -- does anyone have more recent information one way or t'other?

Thanks.....

• kikevk84
    August 6, 2015
    1 post

Hi Chrisflan, I going to Chengdu in few days, I already did all the papers and for 6 six moths with student you will need X2 Visa, but not residence, I take just one entry.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.