Roaming your Chinese mobile number abroad

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 8 posts • NewestRSS

• invisible
    February 6, 2013
    1534 posts

Like a good citizen I went to my local China Telecom shop to activate roaming abroad for my Chinese mobile. Cost are 1-2 kuai per minute and sent sms. They took my data, check my identity by scanning my passport and promised it'll work within 2 hours.

Nothing so far. Not enough, the suggested url to check the roaming condition for China Telecom leads to a site which chrome refuses to connect to because it's malware.

Question being. Does it work? And if it does, how? Appreciate your feedback

• Dragon Expeditions
    February 6, 2013
    174 posts

Haven't tried China Telecom, but China Mobile works pretty well overseas. China Telecom won't work in Europe though because none of the operators have a CDMA network.

• invisible
    February 23, 2013
    1534 posts

@DragonEx
    I guess you're right

I applied roaming for China Telecom on my (China)CDMA network. As much as they brag about their presence and coverage and corporation with other telcoms it never worked, neither in Germany, nor Russia. It's not China Telecom's fault that Europe uses old, expensive proprietary protocols, but then please don't pretend to run roaming services in Germany (at 1-2 RMB/min.). That really pissed me off as I relied on that roaming for my work.

On the other hand my non-registered Al Yildiz Turkish pre-paid card bought in Germany works fine in Russia and China at even lower rates.

• Marky
    February 24, 2013
    90 posts

Just a note from me... I had just activated roaming on my China Unicom sim card over the Spring Festival. They asked me to credit my account with 500RMB to enable it and make sure there was 500RMB at the start of every month or they would discontinue it. I had no problem with it in Finland, England, Singapore and Australia.

I'm surprised Telecom didn't ask for deposit like Unicom did.

• invisible
    February 24, 2013
    1534 posts

china telecom didn't ask me for any deposit as i'm signed to a contract. however roaming coasts would be not included in my monthly fee of 169rmb.

• invisible
    April 23, 2014
    1534 posts

i went to two telecom shops and also called the hotline to go through the step-by-step procedure to make sure this china telecom would finally work (putting their international sim cards in a gsm phone). Well it didn't work, but somehow i was forwarded some old sms once at a hotspot through the CDMA, wtf? Lesson learnt: don't get a Chinese CDMA phone and their shop staff isn't competent.

• Dragon Expeditions
    April 28, 2014
    174 posts

Since my last post I've successfully roamed my China Telecom phone abroad — across a lot of Europe as well as parts of SE Asia. Worked flawlessly without changing handset. You do need a "global ready" device though.

• Mark Andrew
    May 23, 2014
    3 posts

i had the same experience last year, was trying to open roaming in US, and China mobile demands 2000RMB pre-charge into my SIM card, which is CRAZY!!!

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.