renewing tourist visa??

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 6 posts • NewestRSS

  • ConstantWanderer
    August 22, 2013
    46 posts


    I'm not in China anymore but a friend of mine is traveling.

    He wants to stay longer than he had originally planned and was told by another backpacker that he can renew or extend the visa he is on.

    However, he can't find any information on this.

    I've googled it and I can find nothing.

    Is such a thing possible?

    If so, what does he need to do?


  • WildKid
    August 22, 2013
    20 posts

    If in Chengdu, he'd need to go to the relevant office (start from the NW side of Tianfu Square, head N to the left of the Science Museum, you'll see a plate glass building, go to the 2nd (I think) floor).

    There's a form to fill out, you'll need pictures obviously, but the toughest requirement is to bring 20,000 yuan in cash ($100 per day for a 30-day extension). They don't count it, just look at it, but you do need to bring it.

  • ConstantWanderer
    August 22, 2013
    46 posts

    Good grief!!!

    I don't think he'd be able for that kind of money.

    Do the change in rules about renewing visas in Hong Kong apply to L visas too?

  • invisible
    August 22, 2013
    1534 posts

    There used to be the more friendly alternative the PSB in leshan 1.5 south of Chengdu. I don't know if they changed their attitude there, but last time when i had a big mafan with the psb here requesting the above mentioned sum to renew a simple tourist visa it worked for my friend.

  • Wisedragon
    August 23, 2013
    24 posts

    Just go to the PSB Foreign Affairs Office in a city and ask to renew for 30 days. You ought to be able to extend at least once. Twice is common for a total of 3 months. Just say you want to travel a bit longer around China. I know many who have done this and none were asked to show money. Presumably your friend has a ticket for leaving China to another destination. But do not overstay the visa.

  • AlexKMG
    August 24, 2013
    142 posts

    In Kunming, Yunnan, you can extend same as above. Don't need to show 20K rmb.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.