Skype alternatives that work well in China?

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 13 posts • NewestRSS

• invisible
    October 17, 2013
    1534 posts

Skype alternatives that work well in China? Skype seems to be consistently going down, sound quality often sounds like a toilet flush (google talk seems to show similar probs).

• Dragon Expeditions
    October 18, 2013
    174 posts

Weixin is pretty good...

• iraglassismyhero
    October 22, 2013
    99 posts

I've been using Tango, a free app. It is better quality than Skype-to-Skype calls, but unfortunately, you can't use it to call phones.

• Aireline
    October 23, 2013
    106 posts

I now mostly use skype on my phone with the cameras turned off, it works as well as a normal phone call. Either that or weixin. I haven't looked any further into alternatives because no one I know uses them.

• rvharten
    October 26, 2013
    24 posts

On PC make sure all the Chinese tv/movie programs are completely killed as they keep uploading in the background and eating away your bandwidth like there is no tomorrow.

• Winny1014
    October 27, 2013
    1 post

You can use Viber. It seems good~~~

• invisible
    October 31, 2013
    1534 posts

thanks everyone

weixin talking time is limited to 1min afaik. Tango and Viber? mmh maybe wil try it. I want to longer intercontinental conversations without interruptions, recalls and on different operating systems.

• WhiskyDill
    November 1, 2013
    7 posts

Weixin to make random comments and arrange talk times, skype on the mobile with wireless rather than off the laptop... don't know why but skype f**ks up less from my mobile than from laptop [思考]

• Aireline
    November 1, 2013
    106 posts

You can make voice calls with Weixin, and actually (as I found out last night), it works really quite well. I was in Maan Coffee, the place was quite busy with about 30/kbs download speeds, but I was still able to have a decent conversation with a friend at home in england.

• invisible
    November 28, 2013
    1534 posts

@whisky

yes it seems modern smartphones run a better transmission protocol than old laptops/desktops.

• aliasgarbabat
    November 12, 2014
    1 post

RHUB web conferencing servers http://www.rhubcom.com is a great alternative to Skype. You can try the same.

• AlexKMG
    November 15, 2014
    142 posts

I haven't tested this, but many say the Skype version downloaded in china is not as good. People who use the international version downloaded via VPN seem to have decent Skype performance.

• AdwoaAbokoma
    November 23, 2014
    4 posts

My Skype works very well without any problem. I downloaded it from abroad.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.