Summer break mandarin study

Posted in: Forums > Study • 2 posts • NewestRSS

• philandasia
    October 20, 2013
    3 posts

I am a 20 year old male and have just started university in the UK. This year I went travelling around China for just over a month when I was 19 on my own. I thoroughly enjoyed. I had, had several mandarin lessons before I left so I can speak the basics however nothing major e.g. buying tickets, ordering food etc.

My summer break for university finishes beginning of June next year and I have of till september.

I would really like to delve further into learning Mandarin however I think I would have to start from beginners class again.

I would have approximately 6-8 weeks where I would like to do an average of 20 hours per week. Preferably 4 hours a day 5 days a week.

My question is where and how would the best way to do this be. I really don't want to do it in Beijing due to the pollution and there were a lot of other cities that I found much nicer. My favourite city in China is Chengdu however I don't want to learn the Sichuan dialect. I want to speak standard Mandarin.

I'm open to suggestions but don't really want to book anywhere I haven't been before in case I don't enjoy it. Shanghai is also an option.

Saying this I'm totally open for ideas and if anyone has an idea of a company or university I could do this with I'd appreciate that.

My only concern is that I will get lonely of Im in China on my own renting an apartment and having 1 to 1 tuition.

Thanks

• Marky
    October 21, 2013
    90 posts

西南财经大学 (SWUFE) has some summer programs.

Have you thought about taking a whole gap year instead?

Chengdu has a few universities that offer scholarships. Universities have two semesters per year. You could easily apply and get at least your first semester tuition paid for or even a whole year. Tuition is usually around 8000rmb per semester. Most universities have classes usually just in the morning, so you have the afternoon to study or to work a little.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.