Summer Break Chengdu

Posted in: Forums > Study • 2 posts • NewestRSS

  • philandasia
    December 5, 2013
    3 posts

    So I've got summer break from university between June and September I want to learn Mandarin. I travelled China last summer and really liked Chengdu.

    My own concern is that they don't speak Putonghua (Standard Mandarin). If I went into a shop or waiter spoke to me would they speak Putonghua (Standard Mandarin) to me?

    Secondly if I want to be in China 10/11 weeks what Visa would I have to get since I will be studying privately 1 to 1 with a person or maybe a company and NOT a university. I may also be going to Hong Kong so I guess I'll need a multi entry visa.

    Taking a whole year out is not possible for me.

  • futbol89
    December 6, 2013
    19 posts

    Most people and places can speak Mandarin. I'v been here for a year and a half and have only had a handful of experiences where ordering food or whatever was difficult because of dialect. If you happen to run across a hole in the wall restaurant with maybe 2 workers, there's a chance they might not speak mandarin very well but most people can.

    I'm not sure about your visa but I would probably guess that you need a guest visa (or is it called visitors?) that are usually for about 3 months or so.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.