Positive MRI experiences

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 7 posts • NewestRSS

• eld85
    December 19, 2013
    2 posts

I suspect that I have a herniated disc and am looking to get a MRI scan within the city. I've done some preliminary searching in the forums. Some people have had positive and negative experiences. Can anyone out there recommend a particular hospital with new and quality facilities? It would be awesome if someone could speak directly to their positive MRI experiences in Chengdu. Thanks!

• invisible
    December 20, 2013
    1534 posts

I'd try the No.1 Hospital in the South. It's rather new and not so crowded unlike the Huaxi hospital barn.

• iraglassismyhero
    December 20, 2013
    99 posts

Last I checked, the No. 1 hospital doesn't have an MRI machine and I was told I had to go to Huaxi. It was fine, I didn't have to wait that long to do the procedure, which is painless, by the way, you just lie there, and I was able to get the results in the next day or two, if I remember correctly. There are a number of similar, rather high-tech procedures that are only available at Huaxi, which is a shame, because I prefer No. 1 too. Anyway, back to MRIs, I did have a friend do one whose assistant was so clueless, she ran into the room during the procedure to tell her something while she was holding her laptop—which flew into the machine and was completely wiped out, not to mention injuring my friend in the process. Even when I went, they weren't clear on removing all piercings, etc. so whatever you do, make sure that you have no metal fillings and remove every last speck of metal from your person before you go in, because they won't just tell you. Which is beyond me because those machines cost a fortune!

• eld85
    December 20, 2013
    2 posts

Hey Ira Glass, thanks for sharing your experience. May I ask how much your scan cost? I'm hearing different figures from different people. Thanks again.

• sanxingdui
    December 20, 2013
    23 posts

I had an MRI at an army hospital somewhere near the area in the Google map link below. It was walk-in service and I was in the machine within 5 minutes of entering the building. Cost 650RMB 3 or 4 years ago. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=chengdu+map&ll=30.679489,104.068218&spn=0.00346,0.005681&hnear=Chengdu,+Sichuan,+China&t=h&z=18

• iraglassismyhero
    December 24, 2013
    99 posts

sanxingdui's quote sounds accurate; I remember thinking at the time it was around a hundred bucks. But like him, this was three or four years ago, so no idea whether it's gone up or not since.

Good luck!

• hrhbristow
    December 26, 2013
    3 posts

No1 Hopsital in Xindu, had MRI scan on chest. 300RMB. 5 minute wait. Machine was brand new from Germany (siemens).

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.