Vegan Food in Chengdu

Posted in: Forums > Food & Drink • 24 posts • NewestRSS

• Kirstie
    April 4, 2014
    3 posts

Does anyone know where to get a good vegan meal? I have heard the temples are good options but is there anywhere else?

Also, I won't be moving to Chengdu until June so I am not there yet. Does anyone have any recommendations for being a vegan in such a meat prominent city? Or recommendations on where to buy healthier/organic foods?

• jay13
    April 5, 2014
    15 posts

Hi,

There are a number of good vegan Restaurants around. There is one restaurant though I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend.
    It is a loving hut in the center of the city (close to chunxi lu) with excellent food at amazing prices. 100%vegan. They have lunch and dinner buffets at around 17Yuan/person with a huge selection of dishes.There is also a vegan shop in the restaurant catering for just about all your vegan needs.

Chinese Name: 御素阁 (yu su ge)
    Address: 成都市青b年路67号蜀农大酒店4(九龙广场正对面 )

NO.67 qinnian Road shunon dajiudian floor 4 (opposite side of jiunong square) Phone number: 6243 3378.
    The same owners also have a more fancy version of their restaurant a few hundred meters away - with better decor, more elaborate food options (more expensive, yet still affordable)

• long ai gu
    April 5, 2014
    22 posts

I believe the street is Qing nian lu across from jiu long square—going to look for it today

• Daithi
    April 5, 2014
    21 posts

@jay13 Thx!

• Kirstie
    April 5, 2014
    3 posts

@jay13 Thank you! That sounds like a vegan oasis. I have seen Loving Huts before but have never been to one. I am even more excited that they have a market! Thank you :)

• jay13
    April 6, 2014
    15 posts

@Kirstie. No problem. I sent you a PM with additional vegan information. check it out...

anyone else looking for more vegan info, just PM me. I'll be happy to help

• long ai gu
    April 6, 2014
    22 posts

I ate there today—dinner buffet 18rmb lunch 15. This is a special that will go on for several months i was told. It's a basic looking buffet restaurant with pots of food laid out. There's about 12 for hot food, 6 for cold 8 for soups and rice porridge, there's a little sushi, pastries, hot soy milk, fruit juice etc. For 33rmb you can get the hot pot with the buffet. The tables you sit at are electric hot pot tables. The veggies etc are laid out for the hot pot also. The vegan store is nothing specail, a few rows of product half of which you can find in carrefour. Didn't see any loving huts, just a big buffet restaurant—the food is good so if you're a veggie or a vegan this is the spot for you—I shall return!!

• hapatofu
    April 7, 2014
    149 posts

The (proper sitdown) Loving Hut is in the EGO Plaza last time I checked. I wasn't aware the buffet was connected to Loving Hut.

Personally my favorite is Vegetarian Lifestyle/枣子树 in the Platinum City on Qinglong Jie just north of the Luomashi Metro Line 1 station.

I don't bother with the temple restaurants as they all seem to have become these pricey affairs — before the Qingyang Gong one was good (foodwise, service has always been awful), but they renovated a few years ago and upped the prices like crazy. Daci Temple's was a small canteen-style one with very low prices and I enjoyed it the few times I went but I wouldn't say the food was extraordinary — and I don't know if it's still the same as I haven't been there in years. Considering the crazy construction of high-rises in the immediate surroundings, I doubt it.

Best to cook at home probably.

Oh yeah, if you want seitan/mushroom mock meat products, there is a small shop in the Wuhou area that sells them. It's underneath the Da Dongbei restaurant (search on here for the address).

• hapatofu
    April 7, 2014
    149 posts

Also, green veggies/mushrooms/many tofu dishes (NOT the egg-battered style though, of course) at any ordinary Chuancai restaurant should count as vegan, I reckon.

There are also hotpot places that will do clear broth (make sure they don't use the fish) and then you can select only vegan stuff to put in the pot. I would think the Taiwanese-style individual pot places are particularly good for this. There's one in Galleria.

• WilsonTham
    April 10, 2014
    1 post

I am a vegetarian from Singapore and I prefer organic food for which I order online from one of the local farm with investors from Taiwan. The web site is www.yidiantian.com but they only have in Chinese. Their range is also limited and I supplement with another store that can be found at www.igarden.cn. They also have an outlet and restaurant which provide a better range of products.

I usually cook at home but when I feel like treating myself to a good meal, I would go to SunflowerDaddy (serves fusion food), Water Lotus which has a few outlets (serves Chinese dishes), Vegan (my favourite, serves Chinese), Cacaja has a few outlets (served Indian dishes) or certain dishes at Italian restaurants like Grappa, etc.
    If u need more details, just PM me. Welcome to ChengDu.

• Maxxelli_
    April 15, 2014
    8 posts

You can find Vegetarians' Restaurant in East block of Poly Center, No.1 Jiuxiu Road, close to US consulate.

• piairho
    April 17, 2014
    5 posts

There is a shop in 9square mall, metro Hi Tech Zone (south ) that tend to sell organic product.
    I bought a mixer and I eat a lot of the delicious fruit We can found here ;)

• piairho
    April 17, 2014
    5 posts

The name of the shop is BLT in -1 floor

• jay13
    April 17, 2014
    15 posts

The best online resource for finding vegetarian/vegan restaurants (that I know of) is www.happycow.net

Just go to the website and search for Chengdu.

• QWang
    May 25, 2014
    1 post

I was going to start a "Vegan Recipe Sharing" thread, and I thought maybe I could just "hijack" this thread here since the topics are quite related (at least I think so).

To the OP and anyone else wanting to know more about vegan food in Chengdu, I'm sorry that I don't have much information about vegan restaurants, but I encourage you to at least consider preparing your own vegan meals whenever possible. It does take time and efforts, depending on how complicated you want your meals to be, but it can be a tremendously fun and rewarding experience, not to mention the money you could potentially save overtime. Most of my meals these days are simple salads that I make using common vegetables and fruits available in almost every farmer's market. And I make my salad dressing simply by blending produce such as bananas, apples, tomatoes, carrots, red bell peppers and pitted dates. You may not like such creaminess in your salad, but you can easily find recipes that you like online.

Dessert recipes are equally easy to find. What I'd like to share with you today is a dessert recipe that I learned on youtube in just a few minutes. It did take me more than half an hour to make, but that's just because I had never made a dessert before in my life. Now please allow me to share with you this "Carrot Apple Date Bites" recipe.

Photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p39m6nivlc9764q/GEDV0007.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9n0boz9jj0xz8t/SAM_0215.JPG

Ingredients:

4 Apples (photo shows only 2, but I added another 2 later)

20 dates
    1 cup of chopped carrots
    1/3 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Pit the dates and soak them in water for about 15 minutes. You don't want them dry but you don't want them too wet either.

Put the carrots into a food processor and chop them really tiny but not totally mushed up.

Put the dates into the food processor on top of the carrots, add the cinnamon, and pulse until they're nice and evenly mixed

Cut each apple sideways so you have big round apple rings. Cut them as thin as you can without messing it up. When done, you can remove the seeds if you want, but as you can see in the photos, I didn't mind having a little cyanide on my dessert.

Put the rest of the apples into a dehydrator or soak them in orange juice to prevent them from turning brown. Eat them later.

Layer 4 apple rings on top of each other with the carrot and date filling evenly spread between.

Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the first layer.

Slowly and carefully cut the whole thing into bite size pieces.

And that's it! My very first homemade dessert and I really enjoyed the taste too. I didn't like cinnamon before but I guess now I finally do.

I hope that you find this information useful, and if you decide to try this recipe please do let me know how it turns out.

• Leeee
    May 25, 2014
    3 posts

You can cook it yourself.
    You can order vegan food in any Chinese Food restaurants.Remeber to tell the waiter you don't want any lard.

• corygo
    September 1, 2014
    78 posts

I was curious if anyone on this forum would be interested in attending some kind've vegetarian night on a regular basis (maybe once a month or every 2 weeks?)

I do not work for any restaurant and this is about like minded individuals meeting up for fun.

Any takers?

-Cory

• hapatofu
    September 2, 2014
    149 posts

@corygo: Sure, I love doing that. I have a handful of veggie friends and we usually go out to eat every now and then, sometimes at veggie places and sometimes at non (but order only veggie). If you want to join next time just PM me your mobile number. I'm leaving in October but at least we can meet up and I can put you in touch with my other veggie friends.

• phantompineapple
    September 2, 2014
    6 posts

Yay! I'm a vegan in Chengdu for another 2 weeks and have been visiting some of the places listed here. Vegetarian Lifestyle on Qingnian Rd is awesome. I like the canteen style feed at Aidao nunnery by Wenshu monastery too (everyday around 12for 5yuan donation). There are also one or two Taiwan-style veggie places dotted around Sichuan Uni (Wangjiang campus) which are not bad at all. Must try Loving Hut though!!

Would definitely be on for a meet up at some stage in the coming days!

• piairho
    September 2, 2014
    5 posts

Yeaah I would love to join you ! I am a vegan lover and a raw desert fan !! I got a dehydrator, we could cook together at week end, some guilt free recipe !! my number and we char info 1500 2844284 . Pierre

• phantompineapple
    September 2, 2014
    6 posts

This all looks very promising! How about we make a date? Maybe Friday at 6pm? Would that work for people? As for the place...? Seems like we have mant options!

• phantompineapple
    September 2, 2014
    6 posts

p.s I'm getting conflicting info on the address of Loving Hut. Could aomeone confirm it for me ?

• corygo
    September 3, 2014
    78 posts

Please feel free to private message me and I'll get a list together of everyone who is interested.

I know a few local people who are vegetarians so we could get a rather large group together either this weekend or next weekend.

Everyone who private messages me will be included on a group email list so that way we can all discuss days/times/locations/etc.

I'm so happy to hear that other people are interested in such an activity.

Also for those that are reading this that are not vegetarians but are interested in meeting up for a large vegetable lunch, please feel free to join this "group".
    -Cory

• devananda
    September 5, 2014
    5 posts

I went to that yusege

veggie buffet near chunxilu and was quite disappointed.after searghing for a long time i arrived and found the dishes to be below mundane and all spiked with chillies(lajiao).Never go back there again.There are lots of fine quality veggie restaurants in this city.every local has an upscale veggie restaurant.Just enquire.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.