Life in Chengdu

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 22 posts • NewestRSS

• Matt321
    April 9, 2014
    5 posts

So I've been here a few months now, but still struggle to deal with things like the complete lack of hygiene and the constant stares and rude comments from the locals. How are you able to deal with it?

• ergophobe
    April 9, 2014
    5 posts

1) Cultivate a philisophical outlook.
    2) Drink more beer.

• long ai gu
    April 10, 2014
    22 posts

I abuse them when i can. When i see some guy coming at me on the street I don't move, I stiffen my shoulder and walk right through him—the uhhfff sound is so pleasant. Or when some monkey is staring at my dingdong when I'm pissing I give him a little bop off the forehead with my fist. Don't be afraid to abuse them, these locals are very non-aggressive it's not like we're in Chongqing—Oh yeah__And stay drunk eh..

• Aireline
    April 13, 2014
    106 posts

I'm trying to work out if you're a troll or just an ass.
    If you honestly don't like it here, please just go home. You make the rest of us look bad.

• long ai gu
    April 14, 2014
    22 posts

Oh yeah, I left something out. If the motos or bikes are coming at you get your elbows up...

• Eric Lai
    April 14, 2014
    4 posts

hi, I'm the local guy. I think people here are friendly to foreign friends. They don't have too much meaning to stare at you maybe only for being curious for foreigners. What do you mean by rude comments from the locals?

• long ai gu
    April 14, 2014
    22 posts

I write from experience. People in Chengdu are very friendly but remain quite uncivilized and ignorant. I have been hit by e bikes and bikes at least 7 times and they just keep on going—usually from behind, sometimes i get injured—no apology nothing—I walk a lot. And the rude bastards that walk into people I dont take it anymore. If you did that where i came from it would be grounds for a fist fight. And the guys staring at my penis when i urinate—my God are they all gay or curious—I don't care, not taking that anymore either. You see, you can carry anger with you or get rid of it on the person who gave it to you, the dickhead who drew first blood—I find this works well. Staring is nothing compared to what these people do and they think it's OK—It's not OK. I've lived here for years and I will continue to do so, this is my home I have no other and if I want to complain about it or the people who live in it I have every right to-I choose to fight back— Some of them laugh when i do, they think it's funny that this foreigner isn't taking it—One guy that ran into me on a bike, who i got the better of was smiling as he fell off his bike, he thought it was funny—-Hey great, glad to entertain them and teach them a lesson at the same time...someones got to do it. ANGRY?? Oh yeah...I should go home? I am home..

• web_7788
    April 17, 2014
    9 posts

Don't know how you're getting hit by e-bikes so much or colliding with other pedestrians on the street. Either you believe you have absolute right of way, and just walk in a straight line oblivious to all around you, or you are the unluckiest person in Chengdu!!

• Aireline
    April 17, 2014
    106 posts

@long ai gu

I was going to a write a proper response, but after reading your other posts I feel kinda sorry for you. Twelve years here but on a merchants visa, things clearly haven't worked out because you're having to scrap the barrel and try to get private teaching jobs because (I assume) schools won't touch you with your fake degree. You clearly are suffering from culture shock (still) but you can't go back to Canada.

Trapped.
    I think I would be pretty angry too, however, it shouldn't aimed at anyone else but yourself.
    I hope you get the help you need.

@matt321

The key is to talk about it with people. Try to make friends with some locals, learn and bit of the language and you will feel a lot more settled in no time.

• Baepro
    April 18, 2014
    3 posts

you must be trolling, trust me not a single fuck is given in daily chinese life, you are not that important in china cuz there are just way too many people to give a shit.

• Daithi
    April 19, 2014
    21 posts

@Aireline Hiya! What is a merchants visa and what advantages does it have?

cheers

Daithi

• FYZ2207
    April 19, 2014
    2 posts

Well it is what it is here, people's mentality is still catching up to that of more developed countries, just keep fingers crossed it will change at some point.

@long ai gu

You know you can go back to wherever you crawled out of. This is not an immigrant country with a long history of diversity and multiculturalism, you are not required to stay for an extended period of time cuz everyone knows you are not going to attain permanent residency let alone citizenship... so why stay? I wonder how much of a loser one has to be to get stuck in a foreign country he dislikes for 12 years when he has the luxury of going back home, unless his own country disowned him? Yeah keep up that attitude and you'll burn out in no time.

I'm slightly embarrassed this came from a fellow Canadian, but I hope other Canadians in Chengdu don't feel this way, I certainly don't.

• long ai gu
    April 20, 2014
    22 posts

Oh well thats what you get for being honest—thanx for the fan club

• long ai gu
    April 20, 2014
    22 posts

It's true, I am trapped here. And if they send me back again I'll end up back on the streets. Can somebody please help me?

• superadamhsu
    April 20, 2014
    14 posts

@long ai gu

Cherish whom you are. At least you get to be extremely popular with local girls. That is way better than what you get back home.

• pere ubu
    April 21, 2014
    1 post

What is the matter with these people. I was in a cafe yesterday and in walks 2 Chinese women and a boy and they (the women) are shouting loudly. I thought they were fighting but they weren't angry. They came walking toward me shouting at each other then the boy sat at a table and they were screaming at him, again not in anger, I believe they were asking him what he wanted to order. Then they began shouting at the workers, one of them came rushing over to them. After that they sat at a table beside me and began shouting at each other, the little boy was at another table. I looked at them and they were clearly not angry this wasn't an argument. Finally I couldn't take anymore and said "SSHHHHH". They looked at me then began whispering to each other and the whole time they were there they whispered to each other it was so bizarre. If I witnessed behavior like this in my own country I would think the people needed a mental examination. I just arrived here last month and I've had my ear shouted into because I come between 2 people who are talking to each other a few metres away—it literally rings my ears. Can anybody tell me why they yell at each other when they appear to be having a normal conversation-I've never met people quite like this before

• invisible
    April 23, 2014
    1534 posts

this might help
    Eight Ways to Improve Your (China) Life: the newbie's guide to getting along
    http://gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/1775/eight_ways_to_improve_your_china_life_the_newbies_guide_to_getting_along

• Ticalisoul
    April 23, 2014
    12 posts

Being an ABC, I completely empathize with all the foreigners and their complaints. With that said, most Chinese people are harmless. China is not a first world country, its a developing country. You can't expect the Chinese to have the same level of civilized society and courtesy as the US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc. They don't do the things they do out of malice, its more along the lines of ignorance.

Whenever I walk down the street in Chengdu, not a single day goes by where I don't see people spitting exactly in the spot that I'm about to step in, blasting their little scooter horns at me when they are riding on a pedestrian sidewalk, a crowd of people taking up the whole sidewalk and not even giving me room to squeeze by, cutting in line, and just overall boorish behavior. You *could* take all these things personally and get worked up, or you could save yourself some stress and just let it go. Getting in a fight with them won't teach them a lesson, in fact, they probably wouldn't even understand why you're mad. They don't know any better.

Also, a word of advice, Chinese people usually don't fight fair. If you decide to pick a fist fight with someone, you might win one-on-one, but trust me when I say he will definitely call all his little friends, and use up all his "guan xi" in the government/police to get his revenge. Even though this is my mother country, I stay on the down low, this isn't the place to puff your chest out and play alpha male all the time.

• helsic
    April 25, 2014
    11 posts

I have been living in China for around a year and I understand your frustration. I'm not from a 'first world' country but still in my country people is way cleaner and polite that the average Chinese person. My advice is to control your anger, breathe slow and let it go! try to understand that this is a different culture and there is nothing you can do about it. The more you learn about Chinese history and society the more you get to understand why they behave like that so you can get used to it and tolerate it.

• long ai gu
    April 27, 2014
    22 posts

Oh finally some people who don't want to insult others but give fatherly/motherly advice—very good. I'm not who I say I am, I'm just putting you on. I like to examine human behavior. I am an author a former stockbroker and i don't work as an English teacher. Come on people this is the internet, I could tell you anything are you so naive? You are all but a study—rats in an experiment (excuse the analogy)—and the experiment continues—next please....Come on the word 'troll' in overused, if you have a brain use it

• Scaliceli
    April 29, 2014
    9 posts

Hi,guys, Most people in Chengdu are very friendly and kindly, enjoy ur days in Chengdu !

• TokyoJim
    April 29, 2014
    9 posts

So back to the original question, the Chinese aren't going to change, so it's really up to you to adjust.

I recently spent four weeks traveling in Vietnam. In one of the places I stayed, there were ants in my bed. At home, I would have called the front desk and demand they change my room. But this was Southeast Asia, so I just figured they were actually quite small ants and probably wouldn't hurt me, and I was fine.

In other words, you just need to adjust your expectations to the circumstances. Does it bother me that I'm crossing in a crosswalk on a green light and some dude in his Audi honks at me because I'm delaying his journey by a few seconds? Sure. Do I let it ruin my day or blame all Chengdooers for his arrogance? No.

The stares are normal. No harm is meant by them. It's just curiosity. And when I hear people talking about me, I'll often turn around and smile and start conversing with them, and now they know I'm not some freak.

The Chinese friends I've made in Chengdu are some of the nicest and most caring people I've ever met. I'll measure my experience here by them, and not by the random a*holes you can find anywhere in the world.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.