we need some advice about learning mandarin

Posted in: Forums > Study • 7 posts • NewestRSS

• helsic
    April 25, 2014
    11 posts

Hello everyone!
    My husband and I want to learn mandarin seriously. We can speak a little bit, you know like survival stuff and I can read some characters but we want to start a serious course with books, homework and test if is possible.

In your experience, what do you think is better for learning mandarin as a foreigner, a training school, a private tutor or an university course?

Our problem is that we live in Longquanyi distric of Chengdu, quite far from the city, so does anybody know a training center or a experienced tutor near our area? Or at least near the last metro station of line 2 'Chengdu institute of public administration'?

Thanks!

• invisible
    April 25, 2014
    1534 posts

It's a personal choice according to your needs & strengths. Have a look at this article to help you with the choice

Studying Chinese: Which method is best for you?
    http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/2383/studying_chinese_which_method_is_best_for_you

But I wouldn't know of any training school in that area, so I would recommend a personal tutor anyways.

Check classifieds for Chinese tutors
    http://gochengdoo.com/en/classifieds/folder/19/tutoring_services_offered

or post one here
    http://gochengdoo.com/en/classifieds/form_classified/20/

• hrhbristow
    April 25, 2014
    3 posts

Hello,

I am a UK native speaker fluent in Mandarin with a degree from Nanking/Sheffield. I have worked as an interpreter for many years. I gained total fluency in a very short space of time. There are several tricks of the trade I can teach you, some software and learning techniques that can make it a lot easier for you. There are many very good Chinese local teachers who can teach you, but I know from experience and have started from scratch like you and got to fluency in 6 years. The key thing is understand, why are you learning Mandarin? This is really important. For me it took six years of full time study to gain fluency, I consider myself average intelligence, we had a guy on our course, he was a gifted polyglot and it took him at least 4 years, full time. It depends what your goal is, if it is total fluency, it could take a decade. Just enough to get about? Six months if you put in enough effort. Either way let me know if I can help you. Regards H

• helsic
    April 25, 2014
    11 posts

Thank you invisible and hrhbristow for your replies. I'm checking the article and I think a tutor will work for us.

We're planning to stay in China at least for 4 years so we want to learn the language to be able to communicate to the locals and hold a decent conversation. I know that mastering a language is not easy, especially Chinese but I'm very interested in learning it because it's really necessary for daily life.

• Tiger2014
    October 2, 2014
    3 posts

I wanna learn Thai, wanna make Thai friends. I can speak Thai, English and Chinese fluently.
    Any Thai friends there? I can teach Chinese to exchange.

My Handphone NO.18284557455. you are welcome to call or sms me.

• Wessssss
    October 15, 2014
    2 posts

Hi,

I am a high school student with fluent English, yes, i just finished my SAT test. And i am interested in teaching you basic Chinese for free. If you are interested, plz dont hesitate to contact me at 15508175599.

• invisible
    October 21, 2014
    1534 posts

oh and line 2 east extension should be open to public by end of october so going all the way to longquan

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.