My Chinese wife and me will be visiting Chengdu for the 1st time from May 9 to 12.
We will obviously visit the Panda research centre.
1) Any other Must - do's for Chengdu. We love local shows if there any good ones.
2) We will be staying at a hotel walking to Yi Pin Tian Xia Food Street. We are die-hard foodies. Any recommendations ?
3) Love jazz. My wife is from Shanghai, and we love the jazz in Shanghai. Are there any good jazz bars in Chengdu ?
Thanks a lot.
ok i bite
1) i'd say sangxingdui museum
def skip the crappy Sichuan Opera shows, long, boring, expensive, seedy and unauthentic
2) If you're die-hard foodies i'd recommend the Food Museum
otherwise in your area there's the excellent tutaocun, great sichuanese food
the restaurant on your road btw are usually catering to busloads of chinese tourists
3) there are no dedicated real jazz bars in Chengdu
neither are there special shows from the 9 - 12, but there are good enough weekly regular shows, check the calendar
Friday, Jazz at Bookworm
and Sunday blues and jazz at Here we go
You could watch Sichuan Opera in the opera house in Qintai Road or Jinli Old Street. While enjoy the opera, visitors could sip the some tea like the locals do. Some said the opera is fantastic and some said it was boring. I went there once, it was good for me.
Hi Invisible and Daisy
One more question, sorry...is there a direct bus to Panda Base from the city. We could take a taxi, but I've read its tough to get one coming back.
We will be staying Jinui, near Wuhou Temple and Yipintianxia St.