About to move to Chengdu, some question

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 7 posts • NewestRSS

• poire
    September 21, 2014
    3 posts

Hello

I'm looking for a job in Chengdu and received several proposition.

I'm a game developer with 5 years of experience, a new company is offering me 15000 rmb / month to work with them ( and they offer visa sponsorphip ).

The company seems pretty good however I'm not too sure about the wage, I'd like to have some opinion from people that work in Chengdu and really know about the life cost there.

Thanks

• poire
    September 21, 2014
    3 posts

I'd like to had a small question :

Is driving a car mandatory in Chengdu ? When I was there the subway seemed pretty small.

Thanks

• invisible
    September 21, 2014
    1534 posts

Depends on what your goal is. A more frugal life style lets you probably save more than half of your salary if you cook daily and stick to DIY and Chinese food and a cheapo flat - that way you could leave with 6 digit rmb after one year. But there are people who manage to spend it all.

Subway is pretty small, 2 lines and rather low frequency (every 7.5 min), there will be two more lines (3 and 4) opening next year. Frequency will eventually increase, but they first fill it up before they add more cars as the subway operation is costly and not covering cost (which are like tripple of current ticket prices). Only line 1 is probably relevant for you as it connects the software park with two train station (North& South), the city center and the Southern area where all the foreigners live near foreign bars and restaurants.

• Aireline
    September 21, 2014
    106 posts

You could earn a lot more than that by just being an english teacher.
    I'd have a look at other vacancies and see what they're offering, 15 seems pretty low.

• poire
    September 22, 2014
    3 posts

Hey thanks for your answers !

English is not my native language, so I can't / don't want to be an English teacher :)

Also I also think this is indeed pretty low despite the fact that the life is a bit cheaper there than in europe.

Gonna wait for a better oportunity, Also I'd like to meet other developper that works in chengdu to see what they're earning.

Thanks

• ProGolfer
    September 29, 2014
    11 posts

I think 15000 is decent in Chengdu.

Like invisible said, if you live DIY you can probably save most of that.

It's very easy to live on 5,000/month if you don't have any demons to exorcise.

It's not Shanghai or Beijing -- Yet.

• Aireline
    October 13, 2014
    106 posts

15 is good if you're an english teacher because the hours are low, but for a games developer it's kinda terrible.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.