Camping in China

Posted in: Forums > Travel Sichuan • 7 posts • NewestRSS

• Tigerman
    September 30, 2014
    25 posts

Hey all,

What's the protocol on camping in China? I've heard/read about so many beautiful places that aren't far from Chengdu, but don't know what the deal is with camping. Specifically I've just heard about Bipeng Gou, near Lixiang.

To camp in china, do you have to go with some "trekking company" or if you find a place you like are you allowed to set up camp and sleep there? I obviously don't know anything about the regulations or rules or anything, but camping is favorable to paying to stay in some ratty hotel that only runs heat for 3 hours a night.

I've backpacked/camped since childhood, so I know what it takes from a gear/technical standpoint, but don't know any of the actual procedures.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

• MattC
    September 30, 2014
    21 posts

I think BiPengGou allows camping. But I'm not sure.
    The regulations are a grey area outside scenic areas. The police don't allow it but the locals don't care. I camped near Lixiang and the locals help me setup. Just get off the road and go somewhere. Easier for me though as I usually take motorbike.

• xiaoxiongmao
    October 1, 2014
    1 post

No you do not have to go with a trekking company but places are different so you should ask the locals of the area you are going to.

Sometimes hostels can be good places to help you get to where you want to go but camping in China is not like most western countries.

The Chinese like to set up tent cities and it can be quite noisy with hundreds of people at popular camping sites.

Sometimes Chinese people will camp in unusual places.

I have done camping (Chinese style with Chinese friends) in side of a restaurant we all set up our tents after pushing the tables and chairs out of the way, in the middle of the road, on a sidewalk, on the front lawn of a hotel and on more than one occasion the front lawn of the police station.

• Tigerman
    October 22, 2014
    25 posts

Does anyone know what the word is on having a campfire when camping? I've got a camp stove for cooking on, so that's not the issue, but am interested in fires for warmth/socializing. Is this allowed?

• littlepanda
    November 5, 2014
    1 post

It really depends on where you go.

If you want a campfire you should ask some of the locals.

I have been to places where we have had massive bonfires and danced around them and other places where it is not appropriate.

Sometimes weather conditions are also a factor if it has not rained for a long time and it is very dry perhaps places where they are normally acceptable may put limitations on them.

China does get forest fires from time to time.

I saw one last year.

So you do need to be careful.

It is always best to check with the locals.

• Festive
    December 1, 2014
    8 posts

and better check with friends and the locals and the gov officials, so if theres anything they can always help.
    god bless you all.

• RoRoJiao
    January 30, 2015
    7 posts

I know 2 good places^^

Four Girls Mountain(si gu liang shan 四姑娘山) and Keep Ma Xia(yang ma xia 养马峡)

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.