flea markets/2nd hand markets

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 9 posts • NewestRSS

• le beat
    February 3, 2015
    1 post

Does anyone know of good ones? According to the gochengdoo events page, there is a 'dealer's night' held at Here We Go, what are people's experiences of it?

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• invisible
    February 4, 2015
    1534 posts

I wouldn't bet on the Here We Go, most (=all) regular flea markets/ 2nd hand markets are dead. Better watch out for one off events after the Spring Festival.

• GemoD
    February 5, 2015
    4 posts

What are you looking for?

Despite what invisible says, there are actually lots.

I get most of my family's furniture, books, and games secondhand, and I also get a lot of used clothes and toys at various sales every year.

• invisible
    February 5, 2015
    1534 posts

@gemoD

Did you forget to answer the question?

• GemoD
    February 5, 2015
    4 posts

It'd take too long to explain the details of every secondhand market, so I'm hoping le beat will answer my question first. ;)

• invisible
    February 5, 2015
    1534 posts

@gemoD

Well you could help and point out one for starters.

• invisible
    February 6, 2015
    1534 posts

GemoD replied (edited)

QSI has a big second-hand sale once a year, usually in May-ish, check here for updates, and/or the Chengdu International Women's Club website (www.chengduiwc.org). It's good for mens', women's, and children's clothes, books, DVDs, toys, games, household items, and sometimes larger items like furniture, electronics, etc. Beware that some people have a rather high regard for their used stuff and price accordingly, but if you can take the chance of losing something to another buyer, prices typically go down drastically in the last hour or so for whatever's left.

The Holiday Bazaar is once a year the Saturday before US Thanksgiving; the last two years it was at CDIS. It's a CIWC event, so check their website or here for updates. It's good for books, DVDs, and games. Other stuff sold there is new.

There's a girls' group related to the Chengdu International Fellowship that has a second-hand clothes charity sale once a year, again in the Spring. Their prices are DIRT CHEAP and the selection is good: lots of foreign brands and big sizes. Check here for updates: http://chengduicf.com. It's good for men's, women's, and children's clothes, and sometimes bags and accessories.

There are second-hand/DIY sales in Sanshengxiang's Hongshacun a few times a year, typically in the warmer months at places like Orange (http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/listings/item/ora_31636/orange), but these aren't regular events, and the selection and pricing is kind of random. Same thing at other arty events in town throughout the year, like the street fair on 魁星楼街 last October holiday, or randomly at the formerly-named Music Park, sometimes these are advertised here in English; I imagine they're also advertised online in Chinese, but I haven't looked.

This store is currently being advertised, but I haven't been yet: http://chengduicf.com/business/second-hand-store

For furniture, my favorite place is just inside the third ring in the east, 亮佳鸿华二手市场. Avoid electronics for the most part, but go for traditional Chinese style furniture, new and vintage, modern furniture, cheap furniture, etc. There's also a second-hand restaurant section where you can get everything from meat lockers to dishes. The dishes are great, and often in cool Chinese styles. Be prepared to haggle, and if you can, either work out your own truck for transport, or ask the laoban you're haggling with to include a guy and a truck in the price you're asking, otherwise, once you've made a purchase, the guys with the trucks will do everything in their power to rob you blind. You should probably expect 100ish kuai for delivery, and this doesn't typically include actually moving up stairs/elevators to get it into your apartment! http://sc.feijiu.net/lqyqljhhsc/

FYI, there are other second-hand furniture markets all around the bus station in that area.

There's a semi-regular group 'garage' sale most summers in Zizhuyuan that gets advertised here and elsewhere.

There are also places to buy used cars, scooters, bikes, clothes, luxury handbags--I could go on and on. The ones above are my favorite places/events. For the other stuff, I either haven't tried them, or haven't tried them in years. Same goes for the millions of Craigslist-style websites online (if you can read Chinese).

• WildKid
    February 16, 2015
    20 posts

If you want a REAL flea market (quite possibly with real fleas!) check out this one, about 1 km South of Renmin Park:

http://chinablog.us/fleamarket.png

Both the sellers and the buyers are mostly older, working-class folks. They're there every day (barring bad weather) from approximately 3 to 5 pm, busiest on weekends. Ideal time to go to would be between 3 and 4 pm on Sat or Sun. It's a cultural experience if nothing else.

95% of their stuff is, frankly, garbage, but there are also some gems. Over time I have picked up a portable DVD player, a watch, a camera, size 47 (=12 US) trainers, a bottle of Grand Marnier, house plants, some good Western movies, a nice warm sheepskin jacket, sculpture, art, and calligraphy pieces... However, on any given day there also might quite well not be anything worth buying at all.

Bargaining is expected. I bargain quite hard with some folks: however, I also sometimes pay MORE than the asking price where the seller may not realize the value of what they have (these are poor people surviving on very low incomes). Obviously, no-one speaks English.

• Renata
    February 19, 2015
    15 posts

There is vintage market every now and then by the 红星路35, you can check their weibo for updates, but usually it's really expensive, because it's "vintage", and majority of the stuff sold at this market is actually hand made stuff...
    sometimes at the Hemp house there is a flea market...that's all I know

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.