Dualband Android phone (China Telecom) recommendations

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 6 posts • NewestRSS

• invisible
    March 28, 2015
    1534 posts

I'm looking for an android model that can be easily flashed with cyanogenmod and works with GSM as well as with China Telecom's network . Nothing fancy, just need it for tests...

Any recommendations?

• caesee
    March 28, 2015
    1 post

moto x gen 2 is a good choice

• pepper
    March 28, 2015
    60 posts

My 中兴 n909 has worked with a couple of different ROMs though I have never used cyanogen, and is a China Telecom phone though I have only ever used china mobile cards (gsm) in it. Few years old though.

Recommend the advanced phone search on zol.com, you should find everything you need very quickly there. Link: http://detail.zol.com.cn/cell_phone_advSearch/subcate57_1.html

• invisible
    March 30, 2015
    1534 posts

thanks for the answers

@pepper

that link is just excellent. great find

• invisible
    April 26, 2015
    1534 posts

So I thought I throw in some feedback, finally. The China Telecom shops have a very limited selection of phones and they can easily be RMB500 more than most other places (especially taobao), and don't even bother going to the small shops for any advice, they are usually not able to answer a single factual question and don't even know their own pitty selection of phones) - the only non-Chinese brand they had was Samsung anyways (whose little shops are also to be avoided).

Basically they have 5 brands with 5 models each and the question they ask is how much money you are going to spend. less than 1000, less than 2000, 3000 or you go for the latest at 6000 - with one model in each price section.

I ended up ordering a phone on tmall from the official shop of China Telecom Beijing Branch that happen to be RMB500 cheaper than the one in Chengdu, so there huge price differences within different regions of the same corportions.

So the big China Telecom shops are an option to get your hands on the phones, but then order online anyways. Oh and I got one of these oversized pretentious Samsung Galaxy Tabs in the hope of not having to carry around a big laptop.

• AlexKMG
    April 29, 2015
    142 posts

Good advice. Keep us updated on how you like the China Telecom phone you bought.

If all you're doing is web browsing and videos, then the tablet should save you some weight and not having to lug around a power adapter. If you type a lot, then Bluetooth keyboard case is useful. Also, with a micro to USB adapter, you can plug in almost anything USB, like a mouse, hard drive, or card reader.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.