debit card

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 6 posts • NewestRSS

• johnmetoo
    September 23, 2015
    7 posts

Has anyone used a Chinese debit card outside the country or in Canada-does it work?

• basudin
    September 24, 2015
    27 posts

You're supposed to be able to use them at all ATMs that accept Discover cards - and apparently Interac in Canada, whatever that is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_UnionPay

• pepper
    September 24, 2015
    60 posts

The Union pay card? Some have worked in Canada and some have not. You have to make sure your bank gives you a card that can be used internationally.

• invisible
    September 25, 2015
    1534 posts

Union Pay is huge and growing, sure you can use it at Canadian AMTs, the question is fees. Judging by Canada's demographics I would be surprised if Canandian banks would partner with Chinese banks, check who's the Canadian or Chinese partnerbank to avoid high fees. A lot of Chinese banks would probably also have branches in Canada.

• AlexKMG
    September 26, 2015
    142 posts

I tested my CCB card at a Bank of America, and it worked. Those two do have a special relationship though. I think some Chinese banks have one or two branches in US now, Canada maybe? The thing about Discover should be true as Discover and UnionPay do have a relationship, but it might be only for credit and debit cards.

• AlexKMG
    September 26, 2015
    142 posts

edit: be only for credit and not debit cards.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.