Any information about the "Hi-tech Zone?"

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 8 posts • NewestRSS

• Kieran
    March 21, 2017
    3 posts

Hi everyone.

I have been offered a Primary School position at "Fangcao Primary School of Chengdu Hi Tech Zone" I was wondring if anyone knows anything about this area of Chengdu? i.e. Is it a nice area to live/work in? Close to the centre or interesting areas? etc.

Also, While I'm here, can I ask if anybody has had experience with Haidt recruitment?

Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

• invisible
    March 21, 2017
    1525 posts

Fangcao is an older quiet area to live in the Yulin hood about 1 - 3 km away from all the main laowai spots. And Yulin is def one of the more interesting and relaxed spots to live and see a bit of Chengdu other than just concrete blocks. It's technically in the Hi-Tech Zone administration but has nothing to do with the name or ambition and most locals still think it's part of Wuhou district.

So in short Yulin is relatively quiet, connected (between 1st and 2nd ring road, and access to Subway line 1 & 2), cheap but close enough to the action. Def in my top3 choices to live in Chengdu. Congrats

• Kieran
    March 21, 2017
    3 posts

Thank you for the top advice! Sounds like a great location.

Can I ask you if you've ever been to Guangzhou? I also have an offer to work in a public school in the Downtown area and am a bit torn between the two options.

I would value your opinion.

• invisible
    March 21, 2017
    1525 posts

I've been to Guangzhou several times and got to like it for the time being, but I've never stayed longer than two weeks.

Objectively speaking, Guangzhou is more spread out, more diverse in terms of expat population - including a big African & Arab community (also more diversity of food options), has milder winters and is better connected internationally with various flights and also offers quick train rides to big cities nearby like Shenzhen, Hongkong, Macao. It's a South Chinese city so most people speak Cantonese. Pace seems faster as the Cantonese are very focused on business.

Chengdu is comparatively compact and more centralized, more dense so you wont need to commute all over the place as most needs for foreigners are fully covered in the South, but air pollution is more severe too. Most people speak Sichuanese dialect, and Sichuan province offers a bunch of trips to rural and mountainous areas for the weekend. Sichuanese are more leisure focused so the pace is slower and people spend more time just hanging out.

Not sure what your personal deal breaker would be, I'd recommend to check out both cities first before making a decision.

• Kieran
    March 22, 2017
    3 posts

Thank you for your help! Really appreciate it! :)

• StephanieZhou
    March 24, 2017
    8 posts

I am working in Tianfu software park, which is close to hi-tech zone and in the south. I have to say, the south of Chengdu is quite new and quite different from North. So it's worth trying.

• AlexM
    March 24, 2017
    10 posts

Fangcao Primary School of Chengdu Hi Tech Zone 高新区芳草小学 is located farther south that Yulin. It's a couple of blocks west of Ikea & Galleria and a couple of bus stops from both South Railway Station & High Tech Zone metro stations on line 1.

Although the location isn't quite as convenient as Yulin, it's not far from Tongzilin, Yulin & ZongBei where there are many bars, restaurants, shops etc

• invisible
    April 5, 2017
    1525 posts

@AlexM

There is def a primary school with that name in Yulin off Fangcaojie (I checked).

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.