Chinese Visa debit (or credit) card

Posted in: Forums > Living in Chengdu • 4 posts • NewestRSS

• basudin
    September 7, 2018
    27 posts

Apprently Unionpay no longer allows co-branded cards with Visa, so I'll loose my Merchant Bank Visa debit card once it expires next spring. Does anyone know of other banks that might issue a Visa debit or credit card to foreigners on a marriage visa? I might be able to do a 4-500K deposit for a few months, but being on a marriage visa I cannot prove employment.

• Peggyzeng
    September 18, 2018
    8 posts

Most of bank might issue debit or credit card to you.Bese is China Merchants Bank.Your partner can find it.

• johnmetoo
    April 10, 2019
    7 posts

forget the merchant bank, they asked me for so many things i walked out. any other bank in china asks for your passport and they will give u a debit card. i have accounts at icbc and bank of china

• basudin
    April 10, 2019
    27 posts

I can give a quick update: It seems those of us foreigners who used to hold Visa cards from Merchant Bank are eligible to get a "Platinum" debit card. By keeping 500k in that account for 3 months there's a *chance* you might be able to get a credit card. The staff seemed quite positive the first time I asked, but apparently a Taiwanese home owner who did the same had just been denied, so it seems a waste of time to try for the time being.

Before you can post, you must login or create an account.