Date registered: July 17, 2011
Region: North America
Send nwsw88 a Private Message
I visit Chengdu several times each year and have been able to get provisional driving permits (valid during my 2 or threee week stays) by the following means;
1) Have drivers licence translated and stamped at "certified" translation company (100rmb)
2) 4 passport photos
3) Police registration form (and a copy) - don't let them keep the original form.
4) copies of the vehicle registration and insurance papers for the car I drive (company car)
5) Application form - in Chinese (i get help)
6) health certification (50rmb) - there is a small hospital within blocks of the DMV you can get this at - one of the "fixers" at the DMV will take you there (20rmb)
The last time I did this, the capitan at the counter remembered me and set the validiy for the term of my K visa and so I used for an additional visit.
if you are stopped (I have been several times) you need
A. The China permit, your police registration, your original licence, the papers for the car. I've never had issue after showing the papers.