Date registered: November 2, 2012
Send Baloo a Private Message
We are a group of parents looking for a swim coach to teach their kids swimming (at least the basics of three strokes (backstroke, breast stroke, crawl), swim underwater, float on back). The kids are beginners, most are comfortable keeping themselves up in the water for a while but none know any strokes yet. Age range: 5-7. Ideally, we are looking for someone who is a certified swim coach, who speaks at least basic English (the level of Chinese with the kids ranges from native to almost nothing). Lessons would preferably take place on a weekday afternoon, right after school (at 4.30), in a pool very close to Dongmendaqiao line 2 subway station, once a week. Please PM me if you are our man/woman!
Every Friday afternoon 3:00-7:00
12 Da Xue Road 大学路12号 西川大学华西郊区北门对面
(Across the street from Sichuan Uni. Huaxi Campus East Gate)
Bus Route 21 | Huaxiba Metro Station
We are a second hand shop in Chengdu with hopes to share our own fondness of our community, the environment, and access to information through quality education. We are a few educators and friends who kept talking about how awesome it would be to have a second hand shop in our city. After awhile we realized the best solution is to just start one!
Wechat ID: ershouergushi
Hello, you should check out Pony Club on wechat, their wechat ID is Pony-club. They don't have a website. They organize lots of summer camps and weekend activities including camping, climbing, etc., aimed at exactly that age group. Mostly chinese kids, but there are english speaking staff and foreign kids are encouraged to come and mix with the chengdu kids.
Parents who are thinking about Etonhouse and who are reading the comments by ynwa2001 and AbbyMarsden below, please don't let yourselves be fooled by people who want to settle scores for some reason. My two children have been attending this school for the past three years, and I can tell you what they say is nonsense. Our children are getting the best pre-school and early primary education that I can imagine, especially when needing an international school in Chengdu. They both love school, and their teachers are the best. When I compare what they do here, with what is being taught in an average school abroad, they are getting so much more here! Some remarks:
- the comments left on a wechat group by parents have no relation to the quality of teaching and care at the school. There are some parents in that group who like use big words to complain to each other about little things. They actually never raise any of these issues with the school, nor do they actually withdraw their kids, they just want to complain in the group. At the end of the day, they know that this is the best they can get and that's why the Chinese division has a waitinglist.
- there are not 'so many international schools' in Chengdu. In fact, there are only 3, and Etonhouse is the only one for this age group (from 18 months).
- 20 kids in one class is a luxury, especially since there are two high-quality teachers and an average rate of 1 adult to 4 or 5 kids in each class. No kid will lack any attention. My children were in a class of 6 - 14 kids on average, with two to three teachers.
- people who say the kids are colouring or watching videos all day have obviously never attended a school day there. That is just nonsense. The children every day are exposed to and are participating in a multitude of activities, including sports, music, art, mandarin, singing, acting, excursions, etc. Each child is allowed to grow and develop at their own pace, slower or quicker or whatever they need. The teachers are all trained to cater for this diversity in the classroom. The school is very willing to accomodate any special attention a child may need.
- there is a Chinese division (which has some foreign pupils too) and an international division (with mostly foreigners but some chinese nationals too). They are an IB PYP school, to reach this status they went through a thorough process of accreditation.
Best to go and have a look for yourself.