Date registered: August 12, 2010
Send AlexKMG a Private Message
FYI, the water level is low till June July August, so the gorge rapids are much less impressive, but so are the tourist numbers. I went in April and hiked the middle gorge down alone.
Total 1,020,000. Not 10.2 million. China is wealthy, but not that wealthy...yet.
No mention of the killer food in CQ. Maybe too spicy for the authors?
I think a lot of those pictures are from the Yunnan Nationalities Minority Tourist Village. It's near Dianchi Lake, but a separate walled off compound with entrance fee. Your not going to see an elephant just hanging around Dianchi Lake. You will see the birds only during certain times of the year.
Dianchi can be a nice lake, but not this year due to the drought and pollution.
1) Facebook, Twitter, most Google services are all blocked without a VPN. If you can't live without any of those, then you need to sign up for a VPN.
2) Just curious, does being from the UK mean a very high chance of owning an iPhone? Anyways, your in luck, as your iPhone should work fine in China an Apple services are much less likely to be blocked and there should be an authorized service center if your phone is still under Appple Care.
3) All the big companies and brands like Colgate, Unilever, and P&G are fully stocked in supermarkets here. You might end up buying conditioner by accident a few times, lost in translation fun.
4) If your light skin colored you'll be popular. If you're not, then be a musician or DJ.
5) Unless your trading UK stocks or have to check in with a UK company, it's not a worry.
I tested my CCB card at a Bank of America, and it worked. Those two do have a special relationship though. I think some Chinese banks have one or two branches in US now, Canada maybe? The thing about Discover should be true as Discover and UnionPay do have a relationship, but it might be only for credit and debit cards.